Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet NOOB NEEDS HELP WITH SAMPLER MAPPING

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

A.eXe 1PRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'm trying to do something that seems so simple, but has got me going in circles with mapping....
I'm using Dicers and would like to turn some buttons into sampler hot keys. If I hold a button down (i.e. 300 ms) I would like for it to record what ever is playing on the master deck "while_pressed" and once I let go of the button it will automatically start playing (i.e. sampler 9 play & sampler 9 loop & sampler 9 beatlock) so I can fade out the masterdeck to the other deck or throw a scratch sample on with the original beat that was sampled or a vocal loop sample / acapella. I know that a 3 or even 4 deck skin would be easier to do this, but my setup didn't like that idea as well as I did.... Also is it poss. to sample the next 4 or 8 beats of a song, alot of my songs are cued up at the end in 4 or 8 beats and would be cool if I had a button to automatically take the next 4 or 8 beats, take it from the masterdeck and put it in a sampler slot to loop, which would free up a deck. I'm also very interested in advanced sampler mapping ideas if you have the time. Thank You - NOOB

Posté Wed 01 Aug 12 @ 8:34 pm
You need to know the formula of

down ? action when button is pressed : action when button is released

I don't have a lot of experience with the sampler but something this

down ? sampler start_rec : sampler stop_rec & sampler loop on & sampler play

would do what you ask, but I'm not sure about it looping in time with the masterdeck as it may not record the beatgrid..

Your other suggestion would work better as when you have a loop running the sampler will record from the audio buffer instantly, this is mapped to the same button shifted... To record hold shift and press the button, then when you want to play the sample press the button unshifted.

just make sure you change the name of your 'shift' button if you have changed it from the original, but that is what the mixtrack uses.

var 'shift' ? down ? blink 300ms & loop & sampler rec : loop_exit : sampler loop on & sampler beatlock on & sampler pitched on & sampler play ? blink & sampler stop : off & sampler play

Another long standing issue with the sampler is there is no auto gain so you will need slowly introduce the sampler volume slowly before letting it take over so you don't blow your head off. you should also know that when you change the masterdeck the sample will stretch to the new masters beatgrid.

Posté Wed 01 Aug 12 @ 10:07 pm
Worked just how I wanted, thank you for your time.

Posté Thu 02 Aug 12 @ 4:44 am
Got another idea that would REALLY help me out. Don't know if it's poss. I have an AKAI APC20 and was trying to figure out how to map the LED to blink on a certain button if only a certain song was playing on either deck. I created a definition file for it since there is only one for the APC40. I defined the buttons & leds seperate so I could assign different colors to different types of samples as a easy reference. The point of this request is to have certain scratch samples for a certain song on a button for a routine, and would be easier to find if the button blinked if the song was playing, letting me know "Hey, Press Me". I thought it would be something like this for the leds.... "deck 1 play 'file_path_of _song' ? BLINK : OFF" or "deck 1 'file_path_of_song' play ? BLINK : OFF" those didn't even work for deck 1. What I'm I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Posté Thu 02 Aug 12 @ 4:24 pm
I have never been able to figure out how to do it unfortunately... I tried a while ago for some reason and though that

load "path_to_my_song" ? true : false

would work, but unfortunately not "I think because it is only true while it is happening". There are a couple of "get" verbs but they are for displaying text not querying it.

You could probably make a certain deck load the sample then if that deck is loaded make the led blink. you could even map your controls with a variable to change what they do if that deck is loaded with a track

deck 5 loaded ? if true : if false

To add decks just open the skin xml and change nbdecks="4" in the <device> line to something else, although I think it needs to be an even number.

Posté Thu 02 Aug 12 @ 4:50 pm
Ok, how about this then.. (I'm always thinking of CRAZY stuff to do with VDJ) When a song is playing on either deck, while holding down a button record masterdeck and when released the sample portion that was just recorded loads on the other deck with eq_low 0% so I can scratch/mix it back into the masterdeck. I think this would eliminate using alot of hot cues and do it on the fly.

Posté Sat 04 Aug 12 @ 8:36 pm
I have done something similar before...

The problem with it is when you play it on the deck it has no beatgrid and must be over something like 25 seconds for VDJ to attempt to count the bpm.

to map it use something like this

down ? sampler 12 start_rec : sampler 12 stop_rec & deck default load "C:\Users\User\Documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler\sample_12.vdj" & deck default play

Make sure that \this part\ is the same on your computer. I can't remember if you need to save the sample first or not, but that is

down ? sampler 12 start_rec : sampler 12 stop_rec & sampler 12 save "sample_12.vdj" & deck default load "C:\Users\User\Documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler\sample_12.vdj" & deck default play

Posté Sat 04 Aug 12 @ 10:05 pm
Thanks again, I had to tweak it a little.

down ? sampler 12 start_rec : sampler 12 stop_rec & sampler 12 save "C:\Users\User\Documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler\sample_12.vdj" & deck 1 masterdeck ? deck 2 load "C:\Users\User\Documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler\sample_12.vdj" & deck 2 loop 4 & deck 2 play_sync_onbeat & deck 2 pitch_reset 100% & deck 2 eq_kill_low : deck 1 load "C:\Users\User\Documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler\sample_12.vdj" & deck 1 loop 4 & deck 1 play_sync_onbeat & deck 1 pitch_reset 100% & deck 1 eq_kill_low

Your right.. it does have the limitation of a proper beatgrid if you record a sample with just 4 or 8 bars, also it seems to only record one sample per song or until another song is loaded. So I can either create a hot key for "sample_12.vdj" delete or create another hot key for the same action but just for another sample #. The "deck eq_kill_low" is just my quick fix to take out the low end to see if this could work. This will be useful to take a 4 or 8 beat sample of the current song and be able to scratch/mix a vocal sample back into it. I'm gonna have to play around with the eq settings or vocal + sound effect to take out the low end and try to get it to sound better. But, naturally sounds good already if recording the sample on the part of a song with little low end.

Much thanks again - This wraps up the "sampler" mapping portion of the Dicers - next is Transition effects (only a million more mapping options to go) Any suggestions? : )

Posté Sun 05 Aug 12 @ 7:40 am
hi im robert...can u help me how to get more samplers...and i want to learned more...

Posté Sun 19 Aug 12 @ 5:02 am
ima_sykoControlleristMember since 2016
post made in error - my sincere apologies

Posté Sat 13 Feb 16 @ 7:17 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)