Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet New Solid State Drive

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I just bought a new XPC Shuttle PC Computer, and it contains a 256gB Solid State Main hard drive, and a second internal 2 tB hard disk drive. I'll put the operating system and programs on the SSD, but have plenty of room for my music files on the main Solid state drive, too. Will this help even the tiniest bit, or is it still to my advantage to put the music files on the second Disk drive?

Posté Thu 27 Sep 12 @ 7:10 pm
For the music files there is no advantage putting them on the SSD..

Keith

Posté Fri 28 Sep 12 @ 2:09 am
kradcliffe wrote :

Keith

is there any disadvantage if i have plenty of room 70 gB worth on a SSD 256 gB

Posté Fri 28 Sep 12 @ 1:22 pm
bryantpb wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :

Keith

I guess it must be okay then??

Posté Sat 29 Sep 12 @ 12:39 pm
bryantpb wrote :

Yeah: you've got an unused 2 TB drive in your laptop.... ;)

Posté Sat 29 Sep 12 @ 1:24 pm
Yeah, you're absolutely right, I do. But one of my karaoke programs, being kind of finicky, by the way its database and associated singers databases are, makes it very difficult to "simply move the song files to another "named" drive other than the "C" from the older computer. That's what the 70gB are all about..(Karaoke files), and won't increase in future size very much. I DO have triple that amount, about 200 gB in music files (that increase in size at a much higher rate) I intend to put on the 2 tB drive, however, as the VDJ database, and how much more flexible IT is, makes it easy to do this, but the Karaoke program does not. Every other piece of data will end up on the 2 tB drive as well, and the very very few "other" programs will go on the SolidState Drive. Just didn't want to do anything to really slow anything down on the SSD if I didn't have to. Am I making more sense now? Hope so, and please comment, humorous or otherwise??

Oh, also wanted to add that this is a Shuttle XPC PC, not a lappy!!

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 8:17 am
bryantpb wrote :
Oh, also wanted to add that this is a Shuttle XPC PC, not a lappy!!

:D To avoid this kind of mistakes I usually call it a PC.....

It does make sense. I only wanted to confirm that putting your music on your SSD doesn't have any disadvantage. The only thing you have to avoid is excessive writing to the SSD. This is what affects the lifespan. Reading your music won't.

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 8:59 am
should try to leave 30% of your main hard drive for page files and caching.
filling the main hard drive to the max can seriously impact performance.

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 10:58 am
@Aces: The pagefile (your virtual memory) is one of the excessive writings to the SSD. If you got the choice, set it to the HDD or skip it if you got enough physical memory.

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 11:41 am
As Martin says, disable the page file. It's not needed nowadays and disabling it will speed up your machine.

Keith

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 2:33 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
As Martin says, disable the page file. It's not needed nowadays and disabling it will speed up your machine.

Keith

Thanx, I got 16 mB ram quad core i7.

Posté Tue 02 Oct 12 @ 4:16 am

Posté Tue 02 Oct 12 @ 4:38 am
AcesInThePalm wrote :
FYI, continuous writing WAS a concern for old SSD hard drives (2009 to 2010), but now things are great, the lifespan of a SSD far exceeds a HDD, and it is still recommended that you keep at least a 1GB page file on your SSD regardless on how much system RAM you have.
P.S. you mean 16GB there bud

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28220-63-page-file-disable-move
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part

I been readin' on some forums that if a page file is called from a program, and its been disabled, you can cause a crash?. Does this make some sense or not
at all??

Posté Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 3:46 am
Never happened to me ..... had pagefile disabled on multiple machines for years now.

It's an out of date function to backup low RAM .... which hasn't been an issue for quite some time now.

Keith

Posté Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 4:56 am
I guess it comes down to habits, i tend to have alot of running apps going because instead of closing, i minimalise. I have 4 240GB kingston SSD's in RAID0, turning off page file doesnt grant any performance increases whatso ever, so mine is still on.
I guess if you are clamouring for space then turn it off (even though as i've said, many sources indicate having at least a 1GB pagefile is beneficial)

Briantpg- which program?, i cant see why a program would specifically call for the pagefile, unless it had stored data there already.

Posté Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 2:07 am
Photoshop might be an example of a program when in extensive use.

Posté Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 4:52 am
Maybe, but i'd expect any program to crash if memory usage is that extensive without a pager.

Posté Mon 08 Oct 12 @ 1:41 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)