Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Beat Grid Disco 70's Problem

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

tx2runHome userMember since 2013
when I try to mix disco songs 70's:
The Village People - Y.M.C.A.
Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
Boney M - Rasputin
Anita Ward - Ring My Bell and many many more
beat grid still change and drift
why ?

Posté Sun 21 Apr 13 @ 3:29 pm
It's because the tempo of old songs (with real drummers, or recorded on tape) is not as constant as the tempo from a drum machine.

DJ software always assumes that a song only ever has one tempo, and that the tempo stays constant - so it only works with music that's been recorded with a drum machine, or loops, or that uses a 'click track' which the drummer follows.

Any song that's played live with real musicians who aren't following a computer, will naturally drift as the musicians listen to each other and it's all very fluid.

Modern recording equipment even has functions to try and replicate that "feel", which adds a swing or groove to the music.

The only solution is to create your own "locked down" versions of those old songs by using software such as Ableton Live, which can "warp" the audio and line up the drifting beats to a steady tempo grid.

Maybe one day DJ software will be smarter, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

Posté Sun 21 Apr 13 @ 4:16 pm
groovindj thank you for quick and accurate response.
I have an additional question. How mix this songs ?
Still use pitch band or short loops ?
Perhaps "sync_nocbg" which operates continuously ?

Posté Sun 21 Apr 13 @ 5:10 pm
I gave you one method in my reply. Import the songs into Ableton Live and warp them, then save them as new files.

If you don't want to do that, then keeping the beats lined up will be a challenge - especially if both tracks are drifting, because each track will be changing by different amounts and at different times.

If you perform the same mixes regularly, it's possible to learn when to nudge and how far, but it will take practise.

If you compare one of the old tracks to a modern song, then you may be able to find a small part in the old song where the tempo is steady, then you could always mix at that point.

Alternatively, just mix quickly from one to the other, before it drifts. It's not necessary to keep a mix going for more than a few seconds.

....or simply don't mix at all. Just chop straight from one song to the other.

Posté Sun 21 Apr 13 @ 6:21 pm
Thank You very much !!!

Posté Mon 22 Apr 13 @ 2:20 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)