Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Portable mixer to replace heavy equipment?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

When I DJ at places that don't have their own sound system, I usually end up having to bring my computer / ESI USB sound adapter / a mixer / amp box plus speakers and stands. A friend was telling me about a gadget that I could use to replace the ESI sounds adapter and the mixer / amp, he didn't have a product name or number but it must have been something like this image:

I looked through the "equipment" list here and I don't see what I'm looking for, can someone point me in the right direction?

- Mario

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 11:59 am
The only thing that would replace all three items at once (audio interface, mixer and amp) is a powered mixer with onboard USB audio connection.

There's probably a few on the market, but they're not really designed for DJ use - more for live sound (bands etc).

Most DJs now use powered speakers and a combination USB/MIDI audio interface/controller.

The choice of controllers with onboard audio is huge. They just don't come with amps in them, because of the abundance/dominance of powered speakers.

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 2:33 pm
Actually, I may have mis-spoke as I believe that my speakers are powered and I don't need an amp. If that's the case what are my options?

Thanks,

- Mario

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 4:31 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Maybe list off your current equipment and needs.
I don't see that you are using a controller in your list. Are you just using the mouse to DJ?
If so, a controller with a sound card and mic inputs may be just what your looking for. If your speakers are powered, even better. I use a Mixtrack Pro and powered Mackie SRM450's for friendly gatherings, house parties, etc. If I am getting paid for a gig/event, I bring a whole lot more. I have a complete set of backup gear. Keep that in mind when downsizing what you carry. Have a plan ready to implement if there is a problem.

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 4:37 pm
At the moment I'm using my computer, an ESI Gigaport HD usb, a mixing board mounted in one of those portable consoles that was built by a friend of mine (it has external RCA connectors for my Gigaport and two external three pin speaker connectors) and a pair of JBL EON 15" speakers. The friend who mentioned this to me says he saw another DJ using a piece of equipment like what I posted that had a USB connection to the computer and it had two three pin speaker connectors plus assorted volume controls. So this guys setup looked way simpler than mine, no Gigaport and no console / mixer. Any idea's?

- Mario

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 5:30 pm
jimmybat wrote :
a piece of equipment like what I posted that had a USB connection to the computer and it had two three pin speaker connectors plus assorted volume controls.

That sounds like a (bad) description of a USB MIDI controller such as we've already mentioned.

The "three pin speaker connectors" are balanced line level XLR outputs.

As I said, there are hundreds of different products on the market - from dirt cheap to very expensive. What's your budget? What are your requirements for a "mixing board"?

Posté Mon 21 Apr 14 @ 6:27 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yep! I think we are starting to understand what you are looking for :-)

There are units available which combine an Audio Mixer, Controler for VDJs software mixer and a controller for the Decks available on the VDJ display. These are All In One Controllers which hook up to your computer via its USB connection. Many have built in Sound Cards which provide an output to drive your Powered Loudspeakers. Not all of the units that have built in Sound Cards provide 3pin XLR outputs but you should be able to look through the specifications and find out which ones do have this feature.

If you take a look in the Products, Hardware section of this website. You will find lots of pictures and descriptions of these Controllers allong with prices so that you can find something which fits your budget and requirements.

Once you have had a look. Come back and ask any questions you might have.

Daz

Posté Tue 22 Apr 14 @ 11:45 am
All I'd like to do is replace the Gigaport and mixer with something more compact; I only use four channels i.e. channels 1&2 for deck 1 and channels 3&4 for deck 2. If there's something like the picture that I had posted that combines the Gigaport and basic mixer functions that I can attach my speakers to using the 3pin (balanced line level XLR outputs) wires and eliminate the need to bring a full mixing board. Looking on Amazon I see a slew of products in the $50 - $150 that may work.

DazMax: I looked in the hardware section and a lot of that looks way too over the top for my needs, I'm fine using the mouse and keyboard to control Virtual DJ and if I can just get rid of that luggable 30lb mixing board and replace it with something that I can slip in my computer bag, that would be amazing.

My main concern here is twofold: Will the device work with VirtualDJ and if I buy it will it do what I want.

Here's one that's interesting http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Q802USB-8-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00CTKI61Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1398187655&sr=1-4&keywords=behringer+q1002usb it's 8 channel so I could use up to four decks (which could come in handy sometimes) and it's really in the medium price range at $80. But like I said, before I buy anything I just want to make sure it's the thing I'm looking for and that it's compatible.

Thanks!

- Mario

Posté Tue 22 Apr 14 @ 12:26 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi Mario

The Behringer unit has 8 analog channels but only 2 channels via USB so not much use to you. The trouble is that there are so many simple to use controllers out there that not so many are just basic mixers.

If you are using a four deck skin and want to have control over the audio for all four via an external mixer then you are starting to look at serious money and possibly many features that you do not want or need.

What you could do if you are happy controlling all the features of VDJ with the mouse is to abandon using an external mixer altogether and just use a four Mono (2 Stereo) channel sound card. Use two Mono Channels for your Headphone Mix and two for your main output to drive the speakers. If you also feel the need to have hardware control for mixing then the little X Session pro would work a treat. You would use this to control VDJs internal mixer via midi. So then you just have two small lightweight units to get the job done.

I do think that giving one of the All In One Controllers would do the best job for you but obviously the choice is yours. I suspect that once you use a full controller you would not wish to go back to the mouse ;-)

Daz

Posté Tue 22 Apr 14 @ 12:44 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you only want an audio interface, then why don't you just use the gigaport? Get RCA to XLR cables. If you keep your speakers near your kit, and your cables short, you should not have a problem with signal noise.

Posté Tue 22 Apr 14 @ 1:54 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)