Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Stems and drops

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Mannnnn...ok so I been make dj drops I've always wanted but the music behind the vocal made it hard...but now...thank you for this stem filtering....

Posté Sat 22 Aug 20 @ 3:29 pm
Yeah, its neat for DJ drops ;-)

Posté Sat 22 Aug 20 @ 3:36 pm
Stems are such a hack for mixing. Combined with good loops you can make transitions work that would never ever work with normal EQs, simply because vocals or melodies are clashing (they sound terrible together).
Just make a loop, take out the melody/bassline and lows, and you can almost mix it with any other track of the same genre / BPM. It's absolutely amazing.
I hope they improve the algorithm to achieve even cleaner separation / isolation. If you isolate vocals for example and don't have another deck running, it can sound very muddy with some tracks (which is to be expected, don't get me wrong).

Posté Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 11:10 am
FunctionGer wrote :
Stems are such a hack for mixing. Combined with good loops you can make transitions work that would never ever work with normal EQs, simply because vocals or melodies are clashing (they sound terrible together).
Just make a loop, take out the melody/bassline and lows, and you can almost mix it with any other track of the same genre / BPM. It's absolutely amazing.
I hope they improve the algorithm to achieve even cleaner separation / isolation. If you isolate vocals for example and don't have another deck running, it can sound very muddy with some tracks (which is to be expected, don't get me wrong).

What Ive learned is adding a little hihat back into the mix makes the vocal fuller, depending on your setup if you still have regular eq function turning down the high and increasing the mid help a hell of a lot.

Posté Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 6:09 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

What Ive learned is adding a little hihat back into the mix makes the vocal fuller, depending on your setup if you still have regular eq function turning down the high and increasing the mid help a hell of a lot.

I do the same thing (i then also remove the lows to make the kicks not clash), but sometimes the vocals are modified (e.g. pitched down) so removing the melody/bassline produces a lot of artifacts.

Posté Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 6:25 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
that's one of the reason why "stems_bleed" were added

some experiments to try and experiment with:
a 2d slider for rhythm (V) and Melo/Vocal(H) this is really anazing and intuitive
as well as cross stems ... on the fly instru L <--> instru R or Vocal L <--> Vocal R ...

there are lots of possibilities

Posté Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 6:34 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I agree with you guys about blends that couldn't have been possible before 2021. I've noticed that adding a bit of reverb and/or EQing the highs can help balance out the separation quality. I feel there might be an Effect that would be built into the software that could help out Stem Separation in the future. You could use Tal-Reverb VST right into VDJ for free. It really depends on the track because when they're layered and depending on the Genre it sounds great as is and besides you could always tune it further in post-production when it's not a live recording.

Another strategy you can use is to record your favorite loops and place them into a Loop Playlist. Then, record them out with stem separation(s) and place that into your DAW (Magic Acid has a DAW for $39 when on sale that has an Explorer), then use your favorite VSTs on it, and you can achieve amazing results. You could render them out of your DAW and place them on your DJ Drive in their own folder, then favorite that folder, and you'll have custom high-quality Stem Separation Loops ready to use live in any setting.

I truly love how VDJ can find the BPM and 1st downbeat really well. All we have to do is hit Tap and set the Cue Point correctly, then when you record to wave, it automatically gives you a recording that doesn't have any deadspace before the 1 making it possible to edit or remix the loops in a DAW easily. Even Ableton Live 10, Magic Acid Pro, and Serato Studio can't give the same reliable results. You don't have to Warp or use a Beatmapper saving you valuable time.

Posté Mon 24 Aug 20 @ 12:38 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)