Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Using E10 Effect

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I am using the Blocks skin four decks. On each deck I can turn on the E10 Effect. There is also a master E10 that can be turned on. If I use the individual deck E10 my deck VU meter peaks out while my master stays between 85 and 95%. If I turn off the deck E10 and use the master E10 my deck VU matches my output VU. My question to this esteemed group is why is this the case?

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 1:28 pm
If you use regular EQ knob and turn them up same happens right?
Applying more EQ = 'louder' music

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 3:58 pm
He's not disputing that. What he's questioning is the different results between deck EQ10 and master EQ10.

Deck EQ10 makes the deck VU increase, but not the master VU - or maybe not as much. Maybe due to different scaling on master?

Master EQ10 makes master and deck VU increase. Expected behaviour would be for only master to increase.

N.B. I've not tried this myself.

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 4:57 pm
EQ10 anywhere increase where its applied, of course
Applying more EQ = 'louder' music, where its applied (deck + master or just master)

And affects the VU where relevant.

The only thing would be if effects are set post-fader, then it would be applied after the deck volume, and show on master only

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 5:36 pm
Once again - the issue he's reporting is not simply volume increasing. I know it goes up. He knows it goes up - he said so in his post!

The issue is the unexpected behaviour of the VU meters.

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 5:48 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
This depends on the settings
Tested just now :

whenever master is set to get_vu_meter or get_level :
when master meter is set to vu_meter enabling eq_10 (or other) is reported to master meter as needed
when master meter is set to get_level the output level is reported which include corrected output range and master meter do not change
if eq_10 enabled on master this time meter report final output

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 5:52 pm
Ok. So I think what you are saying is when EQ10 is applied to a deck the deck vu reads that deck and shoots up to 100%. But if the master EQ10 is applied then the deck vu reads off the master VU and of course they read the same. Is that what you are saying? By the way my master output is set at 50%.

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 10:49 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
Ok. So I think what you are saying is when EQ10 is applied to a deck the deck vu reads that deck and shoots up to 100%. But if the master EQ10 is applied then the deck vu reads off the master VU and of course they read the same. Is that what you are saying? By the way my master output is set at 50%.

- when the EQ10 is applied to deck => the VU on deck shows changes (as well as master, master always shows result of all decks)
- when the EQ10 is applied to master=> the VU on master shows changes (but NOT on the decks, the EQ is applied AFTER the decks, direct on master)

Not to confuse, but if you set post-fader effect processing in settings (fxProcessing), then the EQ10 applied on deck is after the volume VU meter, and does not show changes on deck VU, only master VU

The metering on decks are pre (before) volume faders (think of it as "input signal" to the deck perhaps).
While the metering on master is post (after) volume faders (think of it as the "output signal" to the speakers).
Effect applied on master, is after the deck volume faders so it does not show on deck meters. To simplify a little bit...

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 11:08 pm
Thanks Rune. I set my FX Effects to post fader and the VU meters react all the same. I always wondered when I saw that setting in options what difference does it make. Didn't have these problems in 1959!

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 11:42 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
best look at the power v peak vu setting.

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 11:50 pm
VU meter is set to peak. What would setting it to power do?

Posté Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 11:58 pm
Probably not relevant to your original post, perhaps .. ;)

Peak = true peak volume (technically the "correct" way, that show peaks as they are, but doesnt always match what you "feel" is louder)
Power = more average "peak" over short interval sort of, ignoring the rare peaks in few frequencies (more a "perceived" volume level so to speak)

Although power can be "better" to some extent, in your case. Doubt you'll see much of a difference though

Posté Fri 20 Nov 20 @ 12:00 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I think it is relevant, a good signal when bass cut could go into limiter [momentarily], peak would have you needlessly chasing the eq+level. peak technically correct until you have a limiter then power is more realistic.
especially when 10 banding a deck, very easy to remove mastered phase cancellations, a crash hitting the limiter is no big deal.
if not why power option?

Posté Fri 20 Nov 20 @ 12:23 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)