Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet New feature (split page) - instructions required

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Build 6492 states "Update default pad pages for split page use" - OK so what is it, how does it work and can we have some instructions please (and perhaps an example or two)?

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:03 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
From a controller with pad modes, you can now press 2 mode buttons and create a split page with upper Pads 1 to 4 coming from Pads 1-4 of primary page and Pads 5 to 8 coming from Pads 1 to 4 of the secondary page.
From skin, you select a page (as primary - upper pads) and then from the same menu at the top ->Split and select the secondary (low pads).

Split pages can be saved as well (from the same menu) and assigned to any Pad mode as usual.

Some default pages are updated so that they work better when in split. E.g. the Stems page will have Pad 4 as "Rhythm" , so 4 stems instead of 5, the Loop roll page will have 1/8, 1/4,1/2 and 1 beat on Pads 1 to 4 and some other sizes on Shift+Pad 1 to 4.
This is done in Pad page xml (in case u want to customize one of yours) using <custompadsmode nb="4">
E.g.
<page name="stems">
<pad1 name="Vocal" color="color 'blue'">stem_pad 'vocal'</pad1>
<custompadsmode nb="4">
<pad1 ... >some different pad action </pad1>
</custompadsmode>
</page>

When page is in split the Pad 1 will have the action defined inside the <custompadsmode> node.
If no <custompadsmode> exists in Page xml, then Pads 1 to 4 and Shift Pads 1 to 4 will be merged from each split page.

Pad page menus are merged automatically. Split page will have the first 2 available Params from the split pages with priority Page1-Param1, Page2-Param1, Page1-Param2, Page2-Param2)

Some pad pages offer a short name when used in a split, e.g. Hotcues will become HC (this is now a parameter in Pad page xml - shortname="")

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:15 pm
Congratulations - you've just managed to confuse me even more! :-)

It seems then that it doesn't do what I was expecting/hoping - to allow non-sample pad pages to be split over both sets of pads on a typical controller (with 8 pads on each side).

I posted about this before, that because sample pad pages with 16 samples are spread between the two sets of 8 physical pads, I expected the same to happen with other non-deck-specific pad pages (i.e. custom buttons).

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:51 pm
Just look in the pad page drop down..
At top you can select pads to split with..

Upper first 4 of the pads will be from main pad pages, lower from secondary..

Thats it ;-) For example combine Hot Cue and Loop rolls

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:55 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
16 pads mode can make a difference.

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 6:00 pm
Rune (DJ-In-Norway) wrote :

Thats it ;-) For example combine Hot Cue and Loop rolls

Ah, so it's badly named. It's not splitting, it's combining.

I'd describe splitting as taking something big and spreading it out, but this "splitting" is actually reducing a bank with primary & secondary pages down to one page with fewer available pads.

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 6:06 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
with pages pad pages combined with pad pages splited
we end to not being able to know what page refers to ^^

in reality this is relatively simple
There are slots (4 by default depending on controllers - why the hell did VDJ call this page of pad page) of pad pages
Every padpage have up to 16 pads or can split 8 + 8 with another pad page

8 first pads from pad page A and 8 first pads from pad page B

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 6:06 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Yes it's badly named
split ==> combining
page ==> slot

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 6:09 pm
groovindj wrote :

Ah, so it's badly named. It's not splitting, it's combining.

perhaps... ;-) Its just following the "industry conventions", its something Pioneer added on their new mixers, so sort of have to add it to VDJ too to be fully functional with them..
They call it Split Pads mode.. and so does others. So might as well stick to that

Posté Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 6:22 pm
groovindj wrote :

It seems then that it doesn't do what I was expecting/hoping - to allow non-sample pad pages to be split over both sets of pads on a typical controller (with 8 pads on each side).

No it's pretty much the opposite :)
It gives you access to 2x4 pads from 2 different pad pages on 1 deck
It's a feature some of the new battle mixers have in hardware based mode
Edit: Sorry - that was already explained above including the battle mixer thing

Posté Wed 02 Jun 21 @ 7:37 am
For me it shows 8 pads from 2 separate pages, which is great, the only thing I had trouble is that the chosen 2 pages are shown at the bottom of the page select menu, and that is how you activate the 2 chosen pages to show, and that might be why other people aren't getting it to work, because if you have alot of pages, you might not notice the 2 saved pages now have there own page select in the pages select menu

Posté Sun 13 Jun 21 @ 1:38 pm
thats with the skin that shows 2 pad pages

Posté Sun 13 Jun 21 @ 1:56 pm
I've just realised something, this feature works by creating a new pad page and taking first 8 from one page and first 8 from the other and placing them in slots 9-16, the thing is as it's created from a generic pad page and especially if both parameter menus are used on both 2 chosen page types there is only 2 parameters not 2 operate ones. The skin that shows 2 pad pages, I thought would be able to have both sets of parameters but it shares. SO it's a shortcut way off copying and pasting your fav pages and combining them.
I have several controllers, and I'm trying to dedicate one guy page section to one controller and the other to the second, is that possible?

Posté Sun 13 Jun 21 @ 4:10 pm
it works great when each choice only uses one parameter each.

Posté Sun 13 Jun 21 @ 4:22 pm
oh and pad menus are combined swell which is kool

Posté Sun 13 Jun 21 @ 5:56 pm
how to disable the split mode on a controller, by default or may be some other reason every time I pressed my controller's pad, it goes into split mode which I don't want,

Posté Mon 14 Jun 21 @ 11:13 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posté Tue 15 Jun 21 @ 12:14 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)