Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Looking for a new laptop..

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi all I'm looking for advice on buying a new laptop, I currently have a 9 year old Samsung a8 with 8gb ram 2tb ssd. It's been close to perfect over the years but recently decided to retire it to back up and bought a new Dell G15 i5 16gb ram, Nvidia 4gb ram 1650 graphics 256 ssd and 2tb ssd for music. I thought this spec would cope with Virtual DJ in its sleep but sadly not It's suffering from latency issues and the music sometimes lags and stutters without warning, This is not reliable enough for me so i'm going to sell it and move on.
I have turned math engine off as I can do without stems.
I've ran Virtual dj for 10 years and I wouldn't use anything else but these issues are making me think twice. Dell are blaming virtual dj, Virtual dj are blaming peoples computers. but the end user is suffering. Going by the Facebook i'm not alone with this issue.

So back to the point i'm looking for laptop spec recommendations..
Thanks

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 12:06 pm
It's Dell. Absolutely 100 percent.

I had a XPS and it was awful.

Unfortunately it's trial and error to find a good latency free laptop.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 12:30 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
It's Dell. Absolutely 100 percent.

I had a XPS and it was awful.

Unfortunately it's trial and error to find a good latency free laptop.

Certainly looks that way.. Out of interest what are you using now. In the past i've had the Samsung and a Acer duel core 4gb ram and neither gave me many problems.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 12:38 pm
IMO Dell doesn't make quality hardware these days. My laptop has an old i5 processor, no separate GPU and does real-time stem separation, and can handle multiple simultaneous effects on each deck.

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga with a touchscreen ( https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-9-14itl5/88ygc901455 ). It's amazing because Virtual DJ has DJDad's Multitouch skin. I can't say enough good things about that skin. It could be a stand-a-lone product. As a home user I used the touchscreen on the laptop for like two years to control VDJ. And I have access to the code so I can customize it all I want.

So I recommend a laptop with a touchscreen and use a touch-focused skin with VDJ to complement your controller.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:11 pm
very unique dj name wrote :
IMO Dell doesn't make quality hardware these days. My laptop has an old i5 processor, no separate GPU and does real-time stem separation, and can handle multiple simultaneous effects on each deck.

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga with a touchscreen ( https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-9-14itl5/88ygc901455 ). It's amazing because Virtual DJ has DJDad's Multitouch skin. I can't say enough good things about that skin. It could be a stand-a-lone product. As a home user I used the touchscreen on the laptop for like two years to control VDJ. And I have access to the code so I can customize it all I want.

So I recommend a laptop with a touchscreen and use a touch-focused skin with VDJ to complement your controller.

I've never thought about a touchscreen before but thanks I'll look into that, Also means lenovo might not have latency issues lol. Thanks again.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:18 pm
I have the Lenovo C940. It does need tidying up a bit to get the best out of it but the latency is excellent.

You have to use it on mains as the battery life is terrible.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:25 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
I do not think it's Dell or VDJ fault
I use Dell's (currently on a 12Years old DELL vostro360 with WIN10 20H2) without these issues,
I use some Dells with no issues, Dells with issues, same with ACER, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Samsung or self construct

Some computers design do not match software design - incompatibility
and some OS version introduce issues too, as well as other software/drivers
I.E.:
some intel CPU do not allow some software to run correctly or start (VDJ or other are affected)
Most Constructor dedicated tools, helpers or monitoring or commercial - DELL Lenovo HP ACER MSI ... tools are all known to introduce issues
Pseudo helpers, antivirus or security third part app can do the same
Windows "telemetry" and other "helping" services slow down computers
recently "dust" simply limited the power of CPU - silently overheated

Yes, unfortunately it's trial and error to find a good latency free laptop.

Like Very unique dj name said, I will recommend a laptop with a touchscreen too and use a touch-focused skin with VDJ to complement or not use controller

My DELL vostro360 has an old i5 processor Gen2, a combo nvidia GPU and does real-time stem separation in CPU mode only, and can handle multiple sets of simultaneous effects on each deck, even with my 8 decks 8 video windows or multivideo screens touchscreen skins

IMO any constructor doesn't make low cost quality hardware these days
when you want some quality there is a cost

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:25 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I'm currently using a Dell XPS without any problems.
There is one of the dell support apps that's pre-installed that is known to cause audio latency issues but when that is removed they are very good laptops imo

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:51 pm
Adion wrote :
I'm currently using a Dell XPS without any problems.
There is one of the dell support apps that's pre-installed that is known to cause audio latency issues but when that is removed they are very good laptops imo

I've removed all Dell software, Clean windows install etc.. Still does the same.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:56 pm
I'm not too bothered about fixing the issues with this Dell I've tried everything suggested by dell and virtual dj users,. I think it's already sold on but just to say, when running Latency mo without Virtual dj even being installed I was getting various spikes, all Dell bloatware removed clean windows install etc.. I've washed my hands with it now its getting sold. It doesn't look like i'm going to lose too much money in selling so time to move it on while it's still worth it.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 2:05 pm
Definitely. No point persevering. I made the decision to send my XPS back within a couple of days.

As a side note my mate bought a dell about 6 months ago and its also a nightmare. We did everything to improve but nothing works so he's looking for another laptop now.

Posté Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 2:46 pm
Dell sold, Hopefully get a replacement by the weekend.

Posté Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 11:44 am
Let us know how you get on.

Posté Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 12:17 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

Will do! Thanks. Looking at an asus TUF. As said it's going to be a bit of trial and error, Annoyingly lol

Posté Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 12:21 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
You're right, annoying ^^
thanks, that's why it's always a good idea to know a well working config

Posté Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 12:24 pm
Nicotux wrote :
You're right, annoying ^^
thanks, that's why it's always a good idea to know a well working config

I've still got my trusty Samsung a8 with 8gb ram, It handles VDJ flawlessly It'll do my upcoming gigs but I have no back up. I'll hopefully have another laptop by the weekend.

Posté Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 5:35 pm
I just bought a used HP zbook 17 4th gen i7 and this thing is flawless. 2 hard drive bays plus one in the cd slot. I paid 250 for it.

Posté Thu 09 Sep 21 @ 12:10 am
I've had great luck with used HP Elitebooks. Built like tanks, massively expandable.

Posté Thu 09 Sep 21 @ 2:53 am
Thanks, I had an hp in the past but wasn't happy with the build quality, the elite and zbook look a lot better built thought. Looking at them now.

Posté Thu 09 Sep 21 @ 7:31 am
kradcliffe wrote :

Going to see a second hand hp elitebook i7 8gb ram. If its decent I'll buy it £150 and stick a 2tb ssd and run it till it breaks lol. Sick of looking at laptops tbh. If work picks back up in a few months I may look again but if the 2 laptops ive got do the job I'll be happy.

Thanks all.

Posté Fri 10 Sep 21 @ 11:56 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)