Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Popping & Static Noises When Playing Recorded Sets
I regularly record live DJ sets when playing for events. Sometimes I want to play those old recorded sets as background music or when I need to step away from the computer for a while. I've noticed any recorded sets that are longer than 1 hour have popping and static noises intermittently every 4-10 seconds, for the entire recorded set. When I play the recorded set file using another program like Windows Groove Music, or my phone, there are no popping noises, it sounds just fine.

What could this be? Im confused because the file has no distortion at all when playing using other programs, but only when I load and play the set in VDJ do I get the popping/static noises. Im using a newer 2019 Dell XPS 15 with i7 9th gen, and I use Denon MC4000 as controller.

Posté Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 11:47 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Do you get the noise if you play the recorded Tracks without the controller and use just the computer's built-in sound card ?
Do you get the noises if you jump to 1h+ inside the Track and resume playing from there ?

Posté Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 12:22 am
Yes to both, there is still noise on playback 1hr+ into the recording.

Posté Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 12:31 am
djdad wrote :
Do you get the noise if you play the recorded Tracks without the controller and use just the computer's built-in sound card ?
Do you get the noises if you jump to 1h+ inside the Track and resume playing from there ?

Yes to both, there is still noise on playback 1hr+ into the recording.

Posté Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 5:43 pm
And what is the filetype of the recorded file ?

Posté Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 8:09 pm
djdad wrote :
And what is the filetype of the recorded file ?

Mp3 file type

Posté Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 5:53 pm
When you are recording your live sets do you hear popping and cracking along the way? or are you two busy having fun to notice?

Normally the popping and cracking sound will come about if the latency is set to high for the CPU to handle both real time input, tracks loading and recording. You can check your setting in the options section under performance.

Posté Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 11:44 pm
DJPIPES_DISCO wrote :
When you are recording your live sets do you hear popping and cracking along the way? or are you two busy having fun to notice?

Normally the popping and cracking sound will come about if the latency is set to high for the CPU to handle both real time input, tracks loading and recording. You can check your setting in the options section under performance.

I've checked the last few times to hear for popping sounds and there are no noises during the live set. And when I play the mp3 file of the recording using other software besides virtual dj there is no noise at all, so Im wondering why only in VDJ do I get the noise?

Posté Tue 14 Dec 21 @ 4:46 pm
I suppose you dont get this issue if you disable mathEngine (from Settings->OPTIONS).
If the Track is too long, it doesnt load to memory - it streams, and perhaps the audio issue is coming from the live Stems calculation.

You could also try to increase the MaxStemLength (default is 40min) to a larger value, but this may lead to memory overloading

Posté Tue 14 Dec 21 @ 11:16 pm
djdad wrote :
I suppose you dont get this issue if you disable mathEngine (from Settings->OPTIONS).
If the Track is too long, it doesnt load to memory - it streams, and perhaps the audio issue is coming from the live Stems calculation.

You could also try to increase the MaxStemLength (default is 40min) to a larger value, but this may lead to memory overloading

I tried both of those suggestions and still no luck :(

Posté Wed 22 Dec 21 @ 5:25 am
Have this same issue any fix yet?

Posté Tue 27 Dec 22 @ 4:58 pm
I have the same issue, stems keep calculating when I don't need them to. It is causing static during play. I would love to shut stems the "F" off to rid this noise.

Posté Fri 03 Mar 23 @ 8:54 pm