Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet New Mac Migration / Music file location... HELP!
Hi guys... Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm currently running virtual DJ on my 2012 MacBook pro and it works well I'm really happy with the way its setup, my virtual folders, playlists, settings etc... Ive had this setup for 7 years and its taken time get things just right...

My music and videos are located within a folder on the mac route so: Macintosh HD/DJ MUSIC

I'm now in the process of upgrading to a new MacBook pro (as the old one is getting unreliable for gigs), on the more recent IOS you can no longer write to the root directory of Macintosh HD its been made read-only to try to get users to store their files with their "user area"

Im happy with transferring over all my settings, database, playlists etc using the backup and restore feature within vdj but my only issue now will be the music location as I can no longer store my music within a folder on the root of Macintosh HD.....

Is there any workarounds for this?

Looking on tinterweb... I could possibly try to change the root folder on my macbook to read and write but it looks like quite a complicated process using command prompt etc that I'm not very sure about...

Possibly some kind of way of opening the database and doing a find and replace of the file paths but this worries me editing this file...

Or start again from scratch with my music stored within my user directory...

Has anyone else come across this? found any workarounds?

HELP!

Posté Mon 20 Mar 23 @ 3:51 pm
Personally I would backup the old database file, and do the replace.
Then I could always go back
But I understand that is scary

Another option is to use VDJ to move everything to an external drive, let it finish, an then do the same again "in the other direction" on the new laptop
Because of the way VDJ handles external drives it will add a part of the database to the external drive, so that it would be ready to use with VDJ on another laptop- in your case the part it adds will be for all tracks
And it does the same on the new laptop

A third option is to mimic the new folder structure on the old laptop, move the files using VDJ, and the do the normal regular move

... in all cases remember that a freshly installed VDJ will have a new home folder location on your new laptop, since the default changed with VDJ2023

Posté Wed 10 May 23 @ 8:31 am