Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Issue with VirtualDJ Installation: Unable to Write Data to Read-Only D Drive
nullcaseControlleristMember since 2022
I'm encountering an issue while installing VirtualDJ on my computer. During the installation process, I'm prompted to write a small amount of data to my D drive, which is currently in read-only mode. This occurred after a D drive firmware malfunction which has locked the drive in read-only mode.

The installation error occurs when trying to write 328 kb of data to D:\Documents\VirutalDJ\Sampler\Audio\.

Modifying drive attributes to get it out of read-only mode is unavailable. It's a dead drive, sadly. I need guidance on bypassing or modifying the installation process to avoid write attempts to the read-only D drive.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posté Thu 18 May 23 @ 2:20 pm
Thought i had a solution. Selecting new directory locations for each part of the install gave the same result.

However, now it only wants to write 4KB of data to the D drive.

Posté Thu 18 May 23 @ 2:34 pm
Normally VirtualDJ would not need to write anything on D: drive.
Obviously you have moved the windows special "Documents" folder on D: drive. In fact the D:\Documents\VirtualDJ folder implies just that.
I don't know what's the case with your drive, but your system in general should be able to write data on all special folders. If "Documents" (or any other) special folder it's now read-only you need to revert those folders back to a writeable partition/drive.
That's for your Windows installation health actually.
If special and system folders remain "read-only" your system is likely to experience sever hiccups and crashes.

Posté Thu 18 May 23 @ 2:54 pm
Okay, thanks for your help. It looks like the main issue is resolved. I was able to install a fresh copy of VirtualDJ

Steps:
Backup/uninstall affected drive.
Backup/delete \Appdata\Local\VirtualDJ
open Regedit navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VirtualDJ and under HomeFolder edit the reg to point away from the affected drive / to a new location.

It seems like the key part was the registry edit. That allowed me to point away from the D drive.

Posté Thu 18 May 23 @ 3:36 pm