Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet WAV to WAV versus AIFF to M4A when using CDJ Export
I used the CDJ Export feature in VirtualDJ to export some files that I have in AIFF on my computer to a USB drive, and I noticed that the resultant exported files are actually in M4A format, seemingly at a target rate of 256 kbps, rather than being lossless AIFF.

When I export WAV files using the CDJ Export feature in VirtualDJ, they end up as lossless WAV files on my USB drive.

Since CDJs support both WAV and AIFF, can someone please help me understand why VirtualDJ would compress AIFF during CDJ Export? Is WAV the only lossless format that will remain untouched in CDJ Export mode?

I have a feeling that many DJs who collect AIFF files have been mixing compressed versions of their tracks when they perform, and are completely unaware of the quality loss.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 12:19 am
I got a response back from the staff, and here are their official comments on the matter:

"Our current implementation of CDJ Export does not have Aiff as an available export format which is why it's being transcoded to M4A.

I have suggested to development to possibly add when Library Plus support is added."

I replied, asking "Can you confirm that WAV is the only lossless format that will stay in the same format (lossless WAV) when exported in VirtualDJ via the CDJ Export feature?", to which they replied:

"That is correct."

I hope that this information is useful to the community!

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 11:33 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In the latest EA build AIFF should also be copied without re-encoding.

Posté Wed 27 Mar 24 @ 11:35 am
Adion wrote :
In the latest EA build AIFF should also be copied without re-encoding.
I tried the latest EA build and it works for 16-bit AIFF files. 24-bit AIFF files are still being converted to M4A during export.

I know for certain that my Pioneer unit is capable of playing 24-bit AIFF and would prefer to preserve the quality of the original tracks if possible.

Will support for untouched 24-bit AIFF be added in the future?

Posté Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 2:20 am
The latest stable build (v2024 b8055) has added support for the export of 24-bit AIFF files without lossy conversion to M4A. I have tested the CDJ Export feature with both 24-bit and 16-bit AIFF files on this build and they both export properly.

Many thanks to the team at Atomix Productions for all of their great work! VirtualDJ truly is the best, most feature packed, most flexible mixing software available!

Posté Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 2:30 pm