Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Multiple/Alternate tags in standard fields
Hi all,

I'm quite new to VDJ, and I've got a question that I've searched and searched for an answer to but just haven't been able to find one, so here goes...

My wife and I DJ, both tagteaming and separately. We use the same library, and I've typically been the one to just tag everything as I see fit. But, of course, attributes like energy level, genre, vibe, etc. are totally subjective. So I'd love to figure out how we can both have our own tags on tracks. We're slowly making the switch to VDJ from Rekordbox due to VDJ's versatility and scripting capabilities, but we still need to export USBs for use with CDJs when we play out. I know you can do this from VDJ - another reason we're switching - but I'd like for her to have the ability to export tracks with her tags attached to them, and for me to do so with mine. And of course we'd like to be able to switch between her tags and mine when we're playing at home on VDJ.

It seems like the most straightforward way to do this would be to just put our own custom tags in the comments, but then when it comes to sorting on CDJs, we're both stuck with whatever tags are in the standard fields. I've also thought about writing a script that'll allow for a switch between DBs, one with her tags and one with mine, but I just can't see that working well live.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Posté Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 11:48 pm
What you're trying to do sounds too complicated even for you.. :P

The best way to achieve what you're after IMHO is to keep a common media files repository, but split the databases and VirtualDJ itself.

In other words:
On the media files, you should store only the basic/minimum required information.
Then inside VirtualDJ each of you could have a different database.
Since VirtualDJ uses it's database information for all operations, each of you could have different informations for the same tracks, without actually reflecting those changes back to the tracks and "fighting over the files/tag fields"

If you use 2 different laptops, it's quite easy to set up VirtualDJ like this. Just make sure that "setTagsauto" is disabled in options (which is the default value)
This way you can both use the same synchronized media files, but keep different info about the tracks.

Another option would be to use the "User 1" and "User 2" database fields.
These are database only fields (they don't get written on tags) and they can hold any kind of information you may want (text fields)
Currently they are used by VirtualDJ's "hash" system, but it's not necessary for you to use them for that.
The only drawback, is that it's not easy to export all the info on CDJs

Posté Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 8:32 am
Thanks for the response. Yeah, two DBs might be the way to go. Ideally we'd like to be able to use the same laptop. When we both use our own, it's less of an issue.

Posté Thu 25 Apr 24 @ 6:22 am