Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Club DJ Needs Help (Comp Sounds Cr*p when playing)

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Ok this goes out to all the techies in the forum!

I DJ in club with atomix which is great but heres my dilema!

On CD's when i'm DJ'ng its sounds fabulous when i use the same MP3's that made that CD on atomix the quailty of the sound is just not there!?!?! now i can think of two things that are causing this sound loss!

1st. The computer is about 3-4 meters from the console... So extensions leads could be causing the loss!

2nd. Theres is a ATI 3in1 card on there could that be the cause of the awful sounds?

or 3rd it is none of them! in which case im stuffed!

Ideas other than what i have thought of would be greatly appreciated! so that i could test all options no matter how silly it sounds!

Posté Mon 07 Oct 02 @ 10:20 am
what program do u use to rip???

try using some diffrent ones, i had that problem but i used a program called Audiocatalyst 2.1 - only catch is u need 95, 98 to use it as win 2000, XP it wont work, well it will but u cant rip using ASPI...

hope this helped

DJ Sparky

Posté Tue 08 Oct 02 @ 6:46 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you really want your mp3's to sound like crap, go ahead and use AudioCatalyst. It uses the Xing codec, which is one of the WORST mp3 encoders out there.

For bit for bit perfect rips, use EAC (Exact Audio Copy). Its slower then all the other rippers out there, but thats because its precise. Then use LameEnc to encode the wavs to mp3. EAC can also directly encode to mp3 with the LameEnc.dll

For the best audio, use at least 192kbps with a Q level of 0. Heres a sample option line you can use when encoding with Lame.

-b 192 -m j -h --lowpass 19.5 -q 0

The lowpass of 19.5kHz sould be more then high enough for the listening audience and will allow more bits to be used for the lower frequency bands. If you have to have the full spectrum, just remove the --lowpass 19.5, but raise the -b 192 to 224 or more.

And Atomix itself isn't the best sounding mp3 player out there either. Plenty of people have brought it up and hopefully the programmers are working on the sound quality issue.

Grimm

Posté Tue 08 Oct 02 @ 11:25 am
1) A matter of 3-4 meters has no impact on sound quality
2) What kind of mp3's are you using ? One's you ripped yourself ... or downloaded ones ? downloaded generally are ripped poorly
3) It may sound as if the 3in1card might be at fault ... try using another PCI sound card to determine if it is the card.

Posté Tue 08 Oct 02 @ 4:41 pm
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use Audiocatylist to it's not the best but it is the fastest,
For me playing in bars and clubs the sound is good i compress at 128 and sometimes at 92 kits.
No whe can discuse this but i think when you are playing in crowdey public places this should be good because there are so many noises(and i tryed other encoders and bitrates but the difference is min.).
When you are ripping for music at home at a high end stereo rip it at least at 192 kits.

Always use a good soundcard that can make a big difference best is a terratec aw64 but it's $$$, for a low budget choose a soundblaster Live or a 128.

And than i agree with grim the sound of atomix isn't the best for instance the gain sucks big time the need a Dynamics Processor (AGC) like OTSJUKE that will make the difference.
Always watch out if the gain isn't to high because that will make your music sound like crap!.

Good luck,
Salva
p.s. vote for DYNAMICS!!

Posté Tue 08 Oct 02 @ 5:01 pm
How Dynamic is your Audio ?

Posté Wed 09 Oct 02 @ 4:25 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
Well, Atomix doesn't have the best output, but you can make up for this with a graphic equaliser or DSP. Have you tried any of these on your audio output?

Posté Thu 10 Oct 02 @ 1:44 pm
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes i tryed the Dsp effect called "Audiostocker Pro" and it didn't work.

Posté Thu 10 Oct 02 @ 3:58 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't know man! Here's what I noticed... First of all my mixer has a 7 band EQ per side. Plus in the rack I have a 15 band EQ. When I'm working I'll make small eq adjustments until I think the music sounds as good as it can in the room I'm playing. I used to notice (when using 1.12) that by the end of the night, the EQ would be all over the place. It seems sometimes I would be bringing up the highs, then compensate by bringing up the lows, taking down the midle a bit... and so on. However, I've noticed since we switched over to 2.1, at the end of the night, the EQ's are fairly flat. (just some minor adjustments depending on the acoustics in the room I guess) Every now and then I'll drop in a CD just to see how it compares. Guess what... There's little if any difference. The sound output of Atomix is pretty damn good. I'm feeding it from a Sony laptop with the standard onboard sound card, into a Numark Mixer, through the EQ, into a QSC plx 1600 amp, into a pair of 15 inch 2 way JBL speakers. (i also use a 3rd speaker that sends sound into a seperate room, a little community 12" 2 way.) I come here and see people commenting on poor sound quality, and I have to say, sorry man, I don't see any problems with the quality of the output. With that said, I'd say if you are having some bad sound issues, you may want to examine other variables rather than blaming it on Atomix.
I'm not trying to say that just because I don't have problems, that there may not be some. I just saying that maybe the problems you may or may not be having aren't related to the software.

(my $.02 worth)

Posté Thu 10 Oct 02 @ 9:14 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)