Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet ID3v2 Poll! (Show your concern!) - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I personally hate (yes, that's right, HATE) this whole namingscheme you have to follow.. I don't understand that when almost every other MP3-player reads MP3 ID3-tags and the newer players and encoders even support ID3v2 with longer(unlimited?) fields for name and comments and such..

Sure, the filesize would change by adding info to a ID3v2-tag (but by adding or modifying a ID3v1-tag since the space is already reserved in any MP3-file) and that would make Atomix see it as a different file but that's a minor sideeffect when you consider you could then sort your song by genre, albumtitle AND tracknumber etc..
You could also search all of the fields in a ID3-tag.. tagging your files with a simple "this would be good at Club X" in the comment-field would make it SOOO easy to find that song later when you're at Club X.

I see the lack of ID3-support as a very unproffesional approach in a supposedly proffesional MP3-player.

Posté Wed 27 Nov 02 @ 9:39 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have 19,400 songs. All properly named. When I rip new stuff, I name them right. I could care less if id3 tags are ever recognised.

Posté Wed 27 Nov 02 @ 4:10 pm
SyfoonHome userMember since 2001
I agree with impressions here...

Personally, every single track in my library has no ID3 tag, at all...

I hate the things, all the info I need is right in the filename

Artist - Title (Mix)

I think ID3(v1 or v2) would slow down AtomixMP3 vastly... just load Winamp with an arseload of tracks, and time how long it takes to read the ID3's, its far from quick

Ah well, if enough people call for it, and it gets added... I just hope ID3 reading is an option, not forced :)

EDIT: And, you can kinda genre or say "This would be good at *venue*" via the Comments field :)

Posté Thu 28 Nov 02 @ 12:07 pm
Oh well.. it doesn't seem like many of you share my point of view..

To some extent I can agree: reading ID3tags in Winamp takes time but so does the Atomix Analyze-function that approximates the BPM and adds it to a database-file..
Why not read and add some additional (usefull for some) info from the MP3-files to that databasefile if you feel like it.
If you're gonna go through the whole MP3-file with a BPM-algorithm I would recon that just copying the 100 or so bytes used for ID3 to the database wouldn't be that noticeable.

Obviously this has to be an option and never ever a forced feature unless it proves that ID3tags can be read without any noticeable performance-hit.

Posté Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 3:20 pm
Oh... forgot to include one important difference between filenames and ID3:
filenames are just one string of characters, ID3-tags has several different strings for different purposes.
Ordering by alphabetic or reverse alphabetic isn't that versatile when you could instead order by artist, then album, then track number OR you could just choose to order the list by the tracknames if you're looking for a song that you know the name of but can't remember the artist/album or whatever.. you can use ID3 in far more ways than basic filename-listings..

..that's my view on the subject but obviously not many shared that view.. *sob* ;(

Posté Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 3:27 pm
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ID3v2 is more pro. And people who do not give this info. to there mp3's are going to do it sooner or later.

Because only atomixmp3 doesn't support it, but even my car stereo does support it, Mp3 is going to be bigger and bigger and in a few years everbody wil use mp3 in there home stereo, car stereo ,Pub\club sound systems and computers.

For atomix let me put it this way.... id3v1/2 could be better, but the way it is now works fine to.

i rest my case.
Salva

Posté Thu 05 Dec 02 @ 8:53 am
dj jcaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with Tommy_2Tall, ID3 tags are very important for sorting. I have thousands of MP3 files and I like to know what genre is my music, The Atomix’s library (database) tells you Title, Author, BMP, and Comment only, but what happen with Genre, Album, Track Number, Time…? May be for some people these tags are not important, but people like Tommy and me, they are very important. I mix music in parties and people likes to heard and dance different genre of music, not just trance or hip hop. So, how I select the music by genre if there is not any option like that. It’s time that Atomix release a new version with these features.

Posté Thu 12 Dec 02 @ 3:11 am
i am sorry but why need the album genere etc. NOW YOUR MUSIC.

Posté Thu 12 Dec 02 @ 8:37 am
"Know" salva ... ;)
and it's true what you're saying

Posté Fri 13 Dec 02 @ 9:14 am
Salva's right.. knowing your music is essential:
every good DJ knows their music by heart and don't have to anticpate the next few beats(which they surely can if they have to) since they KNOW what's around the corner...

But what IF you have like 10 remixes of the same track and you want to know which one's the longest or you might need one that's just 5-7 minutes long or whatever..

I know my music to the extent that I remember artist, trackname and possible even remix(you just gotta remember those long nasty remix-names like "pumppanel reconstruction mix" now don't you? :) of a couple of hundred of my tracks but while browsing for the next floorfiller through thousands of MP3s that knowledge might be lost in the rush so a little help would never be wrong in that department :)

Posté Fri 13 Dec 02 @ 1:41 pm
IcetearHome userMember since 2002
I also vote for ID3 Tags :)

Posté Sat 14 Dec 02 @ 7:28 pm
dj jcaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm sorry Salva, I don't remember every song that I have in my computer, I don't care about the Album Field, but Genre and Time Fields are helpful. Also, Atomix will look more Pro.

Posté Sat 14 Dec 02 @ 10:03 pm
Thanxs for the english lesson ;-)).

Believe me when you work a lot with music you will learn more about the music and the different styles.
And you can alway's pre listen a song you don't now.
But i think ID3v1/2 tags are important but i find it a wased of time to put in the genere, album etc. info.
Lets put it this way, i don't see the need for it in atomixmp3, but if the do support it it's fine to but artist - titel and bpm is all whe need.
and a Dynamic proccesor ;-0

Salva

Posté Tue 17 Dec 02 @ 5:11 pm
jackcuHome userMember since 2004
ID3 tags might be useful as an easier, more effective way of catagorising the songs. On the other hand, I totally agree that we need to KNOW our music. One thing I do is to have several folders where I keep songs by genre. It makes it easier when looking at lists 'cos it means I don't have thousands of songs in any one folder.

My usual way of working is to put together a "rough" playlist for whatever gig I am doing - that makes me think about the venue, the crowd, etc. Then I have a base point for what I'm going to play and how I'm going to mix. Then, when I see what is working (or not working) I can add / subtract from my base list. It's also good for working at parties when I get requests.

FWIW I would like to see tags, but I can work around them at the moment.

Just my .02

Jack.

Posté Wed 18 Dec 02 @ 11:43 am
IF the id3vX tag support is ever made, PLEASE have it so that it can be toggled on/off.

There's a lot better way to do this stuff than id3 but it's been suggested before here (by me) long ago (i had other name, forgot password)..

.. but as with many of there wishes.. there's no time for 1 programmer to make it all happen.

sclavel should really consider getting some coding help..

Posté Thu 26 Dec 02 @ 5:41 pm
invogueHome userMember since 2002
Not wanting to get into an email flame here, but I can't believe that ID3 tag sorting would not be an asset to AtomixMP3.

I own a company that does a little over 400 events a year.
We have over 21,000 songs from 1940 to latest hit. We rip them from original CDs, but use CDDB database for initial naming and info. Of course we have to go into each song and revise since there are some pretty lazy people adding info to the CDDB.

With having several DJ's and doing diverse events. Weddings, Parties, Anniversaries, etc. The knowledge available in ID3 tags is essential.

From what I gather, most using AtomixMP3 are club/party DJ who play what they like or know. That's great for you, do what you enjoy.

An event DJ doesn't. We get asked for music from 1940 to todays latest hit. There is no way to "Know Your Music" in the real business world. Most clients requesting songs don't know the exact title or artist, but of course expect the DJ to pull it up.

Unfortunately, we currently have to run two software programs when using AtomixMP3. Advanced MP3 Catalog Pro. www.wizetech.com

We currently us PCDJ Red (full ID3 searching/sorting) for our DJ events, but are unhappy with it's "Exact" search functions. i.e. you have to know exactly the beginning title or artist to do a search. You can't search for "Sinatra" when looking for "Frank Sinatra".

Genre is a must for events to be able to look at just a certain type of songs on the fly at an event.

Also, wedding songs. There is no why anyone can remember the 100's of versions of the wedding march and the diverse naming of titles and artists, orchestras, etc.

I was under the impression when I purchased AtomixMP3 it was a professional mixing software as it stated. Without ID3 tag use, it's not more than a glorified WinAmp with some nice plugins. (But even WinAmp lets you edit ID3 tags, utilizes CDDB and more.)

The list of needs for this program is very long.
Can't even believe you can't default your music directory! Starting every time in the "Desktop Sample Songs" directory is pretty lame. (If there is a work around for this, please let me know.)

Now I'm sure there are some pretty hardcore devote fans of AtomixMP3, and I will discuss any topic listed above, but let's keep this friendly and limit the personal attacks I see in other messages.

Clayton
In Vogue

Posté Mon 30 Dec 02 @ 5:15 pm
invogue:
Can't even believe you can't default your music directory! Starting every time in the "Desktop Sample Songs" directory is pretty lame. (If there is a work around for this, please let me know.)

there is, look a bit harder, though i'd say there would be useful to be system like in Reason, live etc

like several favourite folders and first of them is the default path

Posté Mon 30 Dec 02 @ 6:36 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I can't believe you start at yoor desktop every time you launch Atomix. Once you browse your way to your music folder, just click the set as home folder button... (duh) No need to take an attitude with a question. Get to know the software before you start to whine about it.

Back to the topic of this thread, I have read many posts pro and con with regard to id3 tags. I can't think of even 1 good reason to use them.

Posté Mon 30 Dec 02 @ 8:36 pm
invogueHome userMember since 2002
Thanks for the info on setting the Favorites folder, although the comment was un-needed and childish.

As for the "DUH" statement, you would think it would remember the location of scanned drives and default to them without having to "Set" anything.

I will give you I didn't not see the "Click" folder in the manual, but I assumed without using it, the Folder icon was identical to a Windows folder icon and was used to move or make directories.

As for not thinking of a good reason to use ID3 tags.... Tell us why not to use them....

The pros outway any cons by far.
Only amutuers not caring for ID3 tags and would only downgrade AtomixMP3 as a computer toy for music and not a professional mixing software.

Clayton
In Vogue

Posté Mon 30 Dec 02 @ 9:31 pm
jackcuHome userMember since 2004
As I said before, I can live without them for the moment, but I would agree that the ability to use tags would be useful to many people. The more I build up the songs available, the more useful it would be.

Cheers,

Jack.

Posté Wed 22 Jan 03 @ 2:38 pm
95%