Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Happy birthday Mp3...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Mp3 format is 10 years old.
Here is the story
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=857
My comments:
With the speed everything is changing in computer world it's a success to have a standard like this. And it is a standard because there is no need to download and install "updated" codecs every month in order to play them, and because its the result of research, and not made for $$$.
Avoid formats formats that changing...made for $$$ (call me wma and every everything from Micro$$$oft)

Standard formats:
Audio: wav, aif, mp3, mp2, ogg.
Video: Mpeg1, Mpeg2, avi (uncompressed)

"NON Standard" or made for $$$... formats:
Audio: wma, AAC, real audio...
Video: wmv, divX, Xvid (not sure about this)

Posté Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 2:50 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well, I don't feel DivX to be an excesive money for what it does. I got mpeg-2 DVD quality videos (257MB) and convert them to DivX 6 to a divx file (38MB). The convertion it's amazing. I pay this product because of this. $30 isn't that much... and now it's free to download the DivX Create bundle, with a valid serial number. You cold get your copy now: www.divx.com

Posté Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 3:36 am
I like DivX too, but the codec is changing/updated, so i put it in the "NON standard" category.
Can you play videos created with DivX6 in a pc with DivX 1/2/3/4... ? I don't think so, but maybe i'm wrong. On the other hand Mpeg1 (videocd...), mpeg2(Dvd) are "standard" no changing formats. Thats what i meant...

Posté Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 3:52 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I have play my divX files in a DVD player that have divX support. Play also in a DivX5... but I don't probe it in other versions. But I understand what you ment.

Posté Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 4:10 am
Maybe latest versions are compatible, but i remember the first (until v4 i think) was not, that's why i switched to mpeg for all my video encodings. It make sense to "standarize" because now Divx targeted to standalone Dvd players too.

Posté Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 4:31 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)