Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet How to clean up "VirtualDJ Database.xml"?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi All,

Just wondering if there is any way to get rid of entries in the "VirtualDJ Database.xml"?
These are songs that have been renamed, or deleted for example from hard drive.
Sort of trying to do a synchronize of mp3's with "VirtualDJ Database.xml" if entry in XML is not found on hard drive, delete it.

The simplest form I think would be to delete the "mp3database.txt" and recreate one, now you have an accurate snap shot of all your songs.
Then some how find those files in "VirtualDJ Database.xml", then remove those entries from XML that were not found in mp3database.txt.

I ask because my XML is over 26Mb, there is no problem with it, just think that is too large.

Maybe this will or can be addressed in V.4??

-TIA, Dj Los.

Posté Mon 15 May 06 @ 4:08 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Huge database, and you have right, vdj database can have a lot of junk...
@cel, i think vdj must have this function integrated...

Posté Wed 17 May 06 @ 9:18 pm
heya..

i seem to have a problem with this lil plugin...

it needs java to run right, so i installed, but it always keeps giving me this error citing some runtime error..

whadoido??

Posté Sat 20 May 06 @ 1:44 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
it's working for me

Posté Sat 20 May 06 @ 2:02 pm
link is not active to download it...
anyone have a new link?

Posté Mon 22 May 06 @ 1:40 am
I dunno what happened to this thread, looks like two threads got merged, but in response to the first two posts:

Such a utility would indeed be useful, so I made one for myself. You\'re welcome to it, if you\'re interested. When you run the program, it asks you to locate VirtualDJ Database.xml if it is not in the default location of C:\\Program Files\\VirtualDJ, then scans all the XML entries and cross-references with mp3database.txt (assuming it to be in the same location as the XML file) to remove files that no longer exist.

So, to use the program, just delete and rebuild your database (from within VirtualDJ, this is very easy to do); this will recreate the mp3database.txt file. Then, run my program, which will cross-reference the VirtualDJ Database.xml file with the mp3database.txt file. It will then present you with a list of the files to be removed, and when you click OK it will back up your old database, and create a new one with the nonexistent files removed.

Simple, really, just threw it together in Visual Basic, hence the need for a setup file (Visual Basic is known to require a bunch of runtime files, and if you don\'t have them the program won\'t execute).

It removes the whole node of a nonexistent file, which means FAME settings and cuepoints and the other stuff that\'s stored in the XML file, but will leave everything else (i.e., for existing files) intact, so you don\'t have to worry about losing your cuepoints or FAME settings for the songs you\'ve got stored.

Be happy to answer any questions for you guys, hope you guys find this as useful as I have. Of course, I\'m not going to take responsibility for anything that goes wrong if you use this program, because that would be silly and I\'d get sued over something stupid.

If you\'re using my program, and it does something to your database that you don\'t want, DON\'T PANIC! The program will create a backup of your database before it does anything at all. Your original database is located in the same folder as the new one, with an extension of BAK (i.e., VirtualDJ Database.bak). Just delete the XML file, and rename the BAK file to have an XML extension, and you\'re back where you started.

Oh, if you use the program, make sure you exit VirtualDJ before you run the program, otherwise the new XML file will just get overwritten when you exit VirtualDJ.

So, to summarize, this program will remove references from VirtualDJ Database.xml to any file which does not appear in your database (mp3database.txt). So make sure your database is complete before you run my program, for example if you don\'t have your My Music folder loaded into your search database (but you do have the files scanned for FAME settings and cuepoints), and you run my program, it will remove all of VirtualDJ\'s knowledge of the files that were scanned in your My Music folder but weren\'t loaded in your search database, and you\'ll have to re-analyze them.

Ideally, though, this functionality would be built in to VirtualDJ so that as you used the program, it automatically removed outdated files from its database without the user having to take any action. Maybe it will, in a future version, who knows...?

Get it from http://vdj.fortmyersbiz.com/ -- it should be called something like vdjclean_setup.zip, unless I have a reason to change the filename in the near future. Current version is 1.62 MB, but you\'ll see the up-to-date information on the index page when you go to the site.

If there\'s a problem with the above website, let me know via e-mail (eslindsey{at}gmail[dot]com), please don\'t post mirrors because I might have to make changes to the program in the near future to fix bugs or whatever. Thanks!

-Eric

Posté Sat 27 May 06 @ 3:58 pm
Hmm, sorry, was just brought to my attention that the link I had on the website wasn't working. Fixed that, downloads now, although the installer is still in German. The program is in English, it's just that the setup compiler I have is German. I've posted instructions on what buttons to press to install, and what buttons to press to uninstall on the website, until I get the English setup file up there. Anyways, everything should be working now, anybody that tries the program, e-mail me or post your results here, I need to know if you encounter any problems that didn't crop up during my alpha testing.

Posté Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:22 am
Followup: A friend helped me out with a bug in the program, so I got that fixed, and he was kind enough to send me a copy of the installer compiled in English, so now we've got an English version of the setup file uploaded. If anybody else has any bugs or anything, feel free to e-mail me at the address I posted on the website.

-Eric

Posté Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 1:24 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)