Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Merging Two VDJ song databases...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I noticed this question posed in another post, however, no one gave a real answer either way; can you merge two different databases from two different copies of VDJ, whether they be the same version or not, into one database? For example, if myself and a friend both use VDJ and we have differing tastes in music, yet would like to spin tracks that the other person has without having to analyze and place cuepoints for ourselves, is there any way to put our two different databases together?

There was another post where someone linked to a VDJ database cleaner...I assume that if that is possible that a merge is as well. Anyone have any input? Thanks for your help.

Posté Wed 17 May 06 @ 10:53 pm
I ended up finding all the merge info in the forums and the proggie in the plugins section, however, does anyone else get the "need .NET 1.1" error? I personally have .NET 2.0 and it's all the way updated...is there a version of the database updater that has been compiled on 2.0?

Also, is there any published info on exactly how VDJ records it's data in the database so that I might turn it over to my CS inclined friends to code a program to do exactly what I need?

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 12:26 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The utility at the plugin page is not what you need.
To merge 2 databases its not officially possible or easy but you can try it manually, open/edit the source XML databases and copy/paste the song entries from one to another (or create another file)
dont forget to BACKUP first..., and keep the xml structure (quotes etc)
Good luck, let us know how it work...

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 1:13 am
I have tried manually merging the two databases...I'm not sure if I copied ASCII characters as well, but no matter how I attempted to do so, I always get a Database error after trying it. Have to love backups!

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 1:35 am
Use notepad, not the default explorer..., you'll see normal text characters inside.
And don't remove the first and last lines...

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 1:46 am
Heh...yeah, I know. I meant that in the process of copying over stuff through notepad I think that there may be ASCII characters that are interfering with my copy; not that I saw them. For instance ^p is a hard line break and even though you don't see it, that's the way it is copied.

Anyway, for any of you that are having the same issue I found a much more elegant solution. There is a freeware utility called WinMerge ( http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/ ) which allows you to compare files or folders and merge/copy over them. So I loaded up the two VDJ databases and it showed all the differences. Assuming that you have relatively different files, you should be able to just click merge from either left to right or vice versa and have everything working just fine.

The added benefit of using this method is that you can update CUE points very easily and don't have to do search/replace commands for every song you want to update.

Thanks for the input though apopsis.

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 2:38 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
good utility thanks for the link

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 3:59 pm
I will try it, thanks

Posté Thu 18 May 06 @ 4:05 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)