Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Impressions

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

QZakHome userMember since 2006
I just wanted to know from any professional Dj's out there that make a living from this program do you think there is a stigma attached to turning up with one or two laptops at a gig rather then turning up with a load of decks and mixers i just wondered do people brand you a certain way?

Posté Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 4:19 pm
It used to be a stigma, but not much anymore...

With software such as Ableton Live, Virtual DJ, Traktor, SSL and more in use by DJs all over the world, its by far accepted by most now... but you might stil get meet the "old school vinyl" dj saying negative stuff.

Some clever one here at the forum said something in the lines if this:
" even if a carpenter gets a nail gun to aid his work, and not use a hammer anymore, he's still a carpenter, and his skills as carpenter is what counts... Not if he uses a nail gun or a hammer to get the nail into the wall" (something in those lines)

And a good indication that software/pc djing is getting accepted, is that the industry leader companies such as Pioneer, Numark, Rane and more are making both software and hardware solutions now...

Numark with Virtual DJ, by the way... :)

Hope that helps :)

Posté Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 5:18 pm
Yeah thanks for that norway just wanted to get some feedback from this comunity thanks and they were some wise words i like it, intelligent man id say he was thanks again anyone else with more views would be great.

Posté Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 5:41 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
why not use Time Coded ynals for the added image and control :)

Posté Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 9:06 pm
true.... if IMAGE is a concern (and it is for many), timecode is for sure a way to go.. .

Makes it possible to use REAL dj hardware to control the dj software... best of both worlds:)

Also, there are comming many profesional controllers, and even dj CD-decks that are hybrid... Controller and stand-alone player (Numark iCDX)

So image can be kept up;) If thats an issue :)

Posté Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 9:19 pm
The advantages of gigging with a laptop are many-fold:

- First of all, no need to carry all your CDs around with you - if you're anyting like me, you always fiind you have left behind important CDs - or brought the wrong CDs with you (modern music for a 70s or 80s night, that sort of thing) - if you have filed your CDs correctly, you can just create a set.

- Also, the problem with mixing with CDs is that you either need two copies of the album, or different CDs with the two tracks you want to mix. With the laptop (and Virtual DJ), you could mix one CD.

- The disadvantage is that, even with a large memory, a computer can only store so much - thankfully, it's enough to make a whole evening of music - you run out of hours before you run out of records, unless it's a theme night - even then, if you have enough of that sort of music, there's still plenty of it.

Posté Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 11:30 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
arthurvasey wrote :
- The disadvantage is that, even with a large memory, a computer can only store so much - thankfully, it's enough to make a whole evening of music - you run out of hours before you run out of records, unless it's a theme night - even then, if you have enough of that sort of music, there's still plenty of it.

I had whole eneving to play r&b. And i did so. I choosed the best songs and made a playlist. But in whole 7 hours i didn't finish the playlist :) Of course i repeated some songs, but 6 of them at most.

If I wanted to make playlist on CDs (the best songs) i would need at least 8 cds :)

Posté Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 12:35 pm
by definition:

A disc jockey (also called DJ, or deejay) is an individual who selects and plays prerecorded music for an intended audience.

I dont see anything there refering to any type of media whatsoever.
That's my opinion.
Karlo.

Posté Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 1:25 pm
Alright thanks lads just needed to know what image it portraid thanks

Posté Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 4:39 pm
Thanks for the quote Norway. :) Another set of DJs that people don't think about much are radio DJs. Things have radically changed for them as well. They used to use records, then CDs and carts. Now most radio radio stations do everything via the computer, or a set of computers. (Music, commercials, jingles) The DJs edit their promo breaks on digital editors instead of reel to reel and the only thing analog is the board they control everything with. I feel it has enhanced the experience a little bit. I for one don't miss going through crates and crates of records to find the few I want to play at a set. (Although I still have them all.)

Posté Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 9:19 pm
So basically what every one is saying is that programs like vdj are probably the best thing to come to djing in its entire history and it should be praised but there are a certain few people that still feel that if you dont own a set of vinyl then your not a dj basically like everything else some people are afraid of progress.

Posté Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 5:09 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yes, VDJ is the best thing so far in DJ industry IMO! Everything that has been developed in hardware is allready in software and even more. With a hardware controller and a laptop you will look very professional. And hey, it doesn't matter how you look, it is a crowd and fun that you bring to them that really counts!
In history, people was scarred of progress many times, it is a known fact, but that never stopped the progress itself...

Posté Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 5:29 pm
Here here

Posté Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 7:08 pm
People who I know who have been in Ibiza this Summer tell me that many of the big names are using laptops and software (and not even using TCV). I heard Pete Tong was using Ableton. David Guetta had a laptop I understand but don't know what program. We need to get VDJ in the hands of some of these guys if possible.

Every time I go into a different pub in my local area, there is a guy using a laptop and nobody blinks. I think that the public will accept change much faster than DJs. They probably have already accepted it.

When CD and Laservision was launched in the early 80s I worked for Philips UK and was doing demos around clubs in the North of England. Using CD was a big selling point for my own DJ setup (even though there was not much music out on CD then and for years carried Vinyl too) It's hard to believe now, but people in the trade were saying that CD wouldn't catch on, but they were wrong because the public liked it. Just keeping a positive attitude about the new technology carried us through that early time.

I reckon customers will accept laptops a lot better than some of the wannabee DJs we all come across from time to time.
A

Posté Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 1:20 pm
very true ;)

Posté Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 5:23 pm
Here's my two cents for what its worth. Since I left the CD world behind a year ago and switched to virtualdj, my business has actually increased. Granted I don't use a laptop, rather I use a rackmount computer (see my blog). I have had nothing but positive reactions from all of my clients. Some were hesitant at first, but were quickly won over in a very short period of time. I have some schools that were hesitant about the video, which is a new feature that I have incorporated since switching to virtualdj, and the teachers witnessed the enthusiam that the students showed and have decided to make it a regular part of all of the dances. It has made my life easier by allowing a wider selection of music, providing a playlist of the evening to the client if requested (schools), adding a new dimension through the use of video, and allowsme to interact even more with the audience.

Posté Sat 12 Aug 06 @ 5:28 am
MannasPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Who cares what everyone else thinks. As a matter of fact, it would be better to go in with that stigma (in my opinion) and go and blow them away when you make a kickass mix. Then it wont be "well he's not using vinyl" but rather "damn, that dude's good, what is he using???". as for using vinyl for "image", if you have issues because of that you're overcompensating for yourself. Just go out there and do your best with VDJ and dont worry about it. If you've got talent it will show through no matter what you're using. Plus, the possibilites are endless with VDJ.

Posté Sat 12 Aug 06 @ 5:39 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)