Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Cheapest video card & software for video capture...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

After reading about the video mixing, i want to have a go at recording a video mix. But whats the cheapest usable PC card/software that will let me just plug an S-video/composite/VGA lead from my laptop (where i'm mixing videos) into my desktop for recording?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:27 pm
This is a good one: nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200 .

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:35 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There's a cheaper and easier way - get one of those £80 DVD recorders from Tesco and take it along to your gigs. When you get home, just rip the DVD onto your PC, just like you would with a promoonly disc! It's a lot cheaper and less hassle than having a second PC with you...

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:59 pm
Thanks for the suggestion :)

i've just done a google search on it and it's taken me to the nVidia website, but the section for laptop computers, has it shown me the wrong product, or have i just not explained myself very well!?

I've got video mixing up and running on my laptop with a DAC-3, maya USB soundcard, etc. The card is just to go in my old desktop computer so i can record a video mixing demo.

Hopefully i've made myself a bit clearer, or has nVidia just taken me to the wrong part of their website...

Thanks.

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 7:06 pm
Hi,

yeh, that had crossed my mind (and they're down to £62 in ASDA as well!), but I'm not too worried about portability, since it was only for a bit of fun to "show off" (cough cough!) my video mixing skills.

So i guess if there's a card that's ok for less than £60-£80 ($100-$120) that will do the job i'd probably go for that, since it takes out the step of having to rip the video, but if not i'll be off to Tesco or Asda!

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 7:28 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The other thing to bear in mind is the speed of your desktop - along with a decent capture card, to record video in high quality full screen mode, you'll need the PC to be fairly quick, and have a hard disk that has a very fast writing speed, preferably with some decent cache buffer on board. The drive speed isn't an issue with vdj for playback, as it spools it all into RAM first, but when recording it's a different issue. If it cant write the data as fast as it receives it, you'll end up with dropped frames, which makes the video look jerky in places.

If it turns out to be a bit on the slow side, it may well be cheaper to do the DVD thing...

(£62 in Asda eh? Might go get one myself actually! ;-)

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 8:06 pm
Good point, i hadn't thought about that really.

My desktop is
P4 1.4GHz
256 MB RAM running windows 2000, probably wouldn't risk it then!

Posté Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 8:27 pm
The cheapest option is probably to buy a cheap tv card or a/v in card [like hauppage or pinnacle]. Just pick a budget card that has the inputs you want then you can use freeware to record from the device [like movie maker or other video capture software]. I'm using a £30 tv card and it works great, I just installed the drivers and now it shows up as an input in any program that can capture video

Posté Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 12:15 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)