Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet New laptop, what to install?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just wondering what to install to make VDJ run at it's best.

I don't plan on using it for surfing the net by any means, but want to make sure that it's up to date.
I got all of the windows updates except for IE7.

I haven't put antivirus on it yet either, but I have a fresh Norton 2007 if I need to.

I have put VDJ on it, and the Lite version of winamp (to play my recorded mixes from vdj at the club the first hour sometimes).

Also, what needs to be "tweaked" for audio/vdj for the best results?

Oh yeah, I have Norton Ghost 10...Should I install it and make a backup of everything once I get it all set, or leave it off?

Thanks in advance!

Posté Sun 05 Nov 06 @ 11:57 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 12:01 am

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 12:50 am
NO NORTON!!!!! If you bought this PC and it says it has Norton on it, good luck as you probably can't get it off ur system. I know guys who have had nothing but problems with audio and it had a lot to do with Norton. Your best bet is a clean instal of XP Pro or Home if you got it and not the one that came from the manufacturer. Please list system specs. I can tell you if it is Dell good luck. I know there are users using Dells and I wish I was one of the ones without problems.

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 6:11 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
discobrian24 wrote :
NO NORTON!!!!! If you bought this PC and it says it has Norton on it, good luck as you probably can't get it off ur system. I know guys who have had nothing but problems with audio and it had a lot to do with Norton. Your best bet is a clean instal of XP Pro or Home if you got it and not the one that came from the manufacturer. Please list system specs. I can tell you if it is Dell good luck. I know there are users using Dells and I wish I was one of the ones without problems.

I had norton on laptop for 3 years and VDJ too! ok.. AtomixMP3 before. But last 2 years i was woking in clubs and bars with VDJ PRO and norton and my setup (see my blog). I never had any problems with it.
Now i bought new laptop Toshiba M100-180 and it also has norton on it. Again without problems, same setup AND vinyl setup with Nuo4. Without problems!

I actually don't need antivirus and i will erase it as soon at trial version of norton expierd. But again, I never had problems with Norton.

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 9:40 am
on another note might want to try

spybot

www.safer-networking.org

to protect against antispyware

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 10:39 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I had some troubles at the work pc with some spyware and Spybot didn't fix it. I use now Spyware Doctor and I think it is the best now. I suggest NOD32 for Antivirus, it doesnt stress the machine at all.

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 10:45 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
I had some troubles at the work pc with some spyware and Spybot didn't fix it. I use now Spyware Doctor and I think it is the best now. I suggest NOD32 for Antivirus, it doesnt stress the machine at all.

spyware doctor is spyware its self

comes with loads of bundled crap

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 11:05 am
I have Norton 2007,but it is not installed on the laptop. I have no anti-virus software on it.

Should ghost be ok?

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 11:06 am
ghost should be fine good for backing up perfect config to an image file, have you used it before:)?
2 modes -

from boot
you need another computer to be a ghost cast server and a cross over network cable

basic install of xp / 2003 / 2000 ect

and reinstall files using image :)

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 11:17 am
I have used ghost before.
I have it on my home pc.
On the other note, I am not surfing with the laptop since I have a home pc, but I am just using it for music.
I downloaded the winamp,VDJ, on my home pc, and burned it to a cd.
The only website it has seen is microsoft for it's updates.

Posté Mon 06 Nov 06 @ 10:42 pm
Ok let me re-phrase what I said about NO NORTON. The reason I say this is it can't be shut off or un-installed easily. I like others like to run with the minimal amount of background processes running and Norton doesn't offer an easy way to turn it off. I have been told by some computer geeks that Norton is very problematic and a resource hog.

Posté Fri 10 Nov 06 @ 12:09 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)