Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Pro mixing - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Report from General thread:

For the pro section then (house music):

Step 1: song selection.

When you go out to play do not take all your songs with you. This will only confuse you and take too much time to select song. So you need to work on a set.

From all the songs you like best select 75-150 songs (dependent on how long you play, you like best) This is your record case. Prepare your record case for each gig. Take out some old ones and put in new ones. Most of the records should be new or relatively new with a few classics (in a new remix or not). Leave all other songs at home. I repeat do not bring them physically with you.

Every song in your record case should at least have been mixed into a demo CD ones. Songs that you were unable to mix perfectly to whatever reason, remove or replace with another song. Also remove or replace songs that you remember gave you a hard time last gig.

have VDJ analyse all songs before you. Don't care whether VDJ display right BPM. It doesnt matter as you will adjust pitch anyway to make sure it runs at the right speed independent of the BPM is displayed by VDJ. If it goes too fast, slow it a bit down and vice versa. Same goes for cue points. You will set those on the fly.

step 2: first song.

Decide whether you take over from the previous DJ by continuing his style, tempo, energy etc., or brake the rythm and build up your own style, tempo, energy etc. In the first case tell the precious DJ what kind of last records he should play. Look at the dancefloor. If everybody's partying, get a party tune. If it's empty/slow look at the crowd. If it is busy but no party, play a song girls like. Get girls dancing, and guys will follow. If it's empty, just play a few downbeat songs till more people arrive.

Set BMP for the first song depending on style. Deep house 125 BPM, funky house 128/132 BPM, trance 140 BPM, hardstyle, 145/7 BPM. Remember that if you have to create a better party vibe you want some BPM left to increase during the set.

step 3: Next song.

If current song has a lot of lyrics take a song that has less or no lyrics. If a song has no lyrics it doesnt matter what follows. If crowd is still dead, continue downbeat, if crowd is starting to party, throw more (often well known) party songs at them, if they are fully into the party get you own secret tunes and make it the best party they ever had.

step 5: Cue setting

Move song to first beat you want to use, set cue.

step 6: gain setting

Set low, middle, high on your mixer back to most commonly used settings (yours). Look at VDJ gain. Set it to -2 or so. Put song at 70% where there is a lot of beat (most noisy part of the record). Look at the volume in the mixer and match it with the current record playing. You do not want to have difference in volumes that you did not chose to have.

step 7: pitch setting

Set pitch near pitch of current record playing. Let it play a while. Notice whether it is too slow or fast. Make micro adjustments until it is perfect (0.1 steps are good!).

step 8: beat mixing

This can be done after you are sure that pitch is perfect or while you are still pitching, just to see on your wave form how the best match looks. If pitch is not perfect, improve it. You can do this the hard way, or the easy way. Hard way is to get your cue point. Count you entry point (first beat of each 32 beats pattern), and let go. Easy way is to set VDJ to a 16 or 32 beat loop at start. It will give you a lot of time to mix.

When the pitch is perfect, and the beat match is perfect, wait for the right time. This is also a good time to make contact with your public. Look at them, see if they are having a good time, smile to the beautifull girls etc.

My style of mixing, the right time is about 1.30 min before the end. Often there is a small break here. Match your cue point with the first beat after the small break. Make sure the beat mix is perfect.

step 9: mixing

Finally we are going to mix! There are many styles, I'll show you mine if you show yours. What I do is, turn down high, middle, low to almost zero. While listingen to the music slowly raise the volume of the new song. At the same time decide whether to bring it in low (in case the previous song has a lot of high melody or lyrics) or more often high. If low than turn down a bit of bass of the previous record, if high turn down a bit of the high. This is gonna be your reference.

Put a little more volume in the new record, adding a bit of low in case of low and high in case of high. This should be done until you can very faintly hear the new song over the master sound system.

Now you are set to go. Decrease the volume of the previous song a notch. Increase the volume of the new song a notch also high and low as needed.

If you hear any deviation of a perfect match, componsate: nudge the new record a bit forward or backward, or even pitch very little up or down. It must be perfect.

If its perfect increase more volume of the new song, and drop high/low of the previous song, until you have the situation that you have:

previous song. high and low almost gone, volume a notch down. Middle as it was or even a bit more in case you don't hear it well.

new song: high and low almost set as you would do normally, middle almost gone. Full volume.

Now you hear the melody/lyrics of the previous song with the bass and high of the next song.

Finally all you have to do is lower the volume of the previous song, while at the same time increase the middle of the new song.

Nota bene:

If anything bad happens decide whether you have enough time for a retry. In that case drop all volume on the new song and rinse and repeat. Or there is no time. In that case drop all volume of the previous song, increase volume of new song and slowly increase high middle and low. Better a fast mix than a faulty mix. The public will never know.

Also sometimes the songs really have a great moment where a transition would be perfect. Use that immedeately!

Step 10: Rinse and repeat till the end.

Get the public more and more extatic. Ask the next DJ what kind of style he'll play and play the last 2-3 records more towards that style. Take a bit of energy out of it, so the new DJ can instantly shine if he wants to. Get to the club owner to get paid.

Posté Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 9:42 pm
Go to www.pssl.com and click on the BOOK/VIDEO option. You will find many videos on DJing. Although turntables are used primarily in these videos, you can still apply the same principles to your VDJ virtual turntables..

Here’s some additional pro practice tips:

1.Get five practice songs (make sure the first two songs sound good together because you are going to beat mix them).

2.Play the first song for several minutes, when it gets to an instrumental part that you like, loop it. Looping the song that’s playing ensures the song doesn’t end before you fade in the next song.

3.“Beatlock” and fade in the second song on the downbeat of the first song. You should have all your music pre-cued to at least one downbeat, which makes it easier to beat mix. Let them play for at least 15 seconds and then fade out the first song—I usually let two songs play longer if they vibe well together. Try to fade songs in on the same downbeat. Example: The first song is on the fourth downbeat, so you would bring in the second song on its fourth downbeat. You can also loop the second song and monitor the sound of the beat mix (using 4 or 8 beat loops makes it easier to do this). When you are sure both songs are Beatlocked, bring in the second song while exiting the second loop.

4.Load the third song. When the second song has played for several minutes, use a brake effect on it. As soon as it stops, start the third song. This is good for making transitions between fast and slow songs.

5.Load and “Beatlock” the fourth song. When the third song has played for several minutes, slam in (start) the fourth song on the instrumental downbeat (you can slam over the vocals if it sounds good) of the third song and immediately fade it out. Do this several times with no more than 4 beats between slams. Example: count the beats of the song that’s playing 1 & 2 & 3 & 4. Once you get the bpm count in your head, go 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat. 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat. 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat, 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat and let the fourth song continue to play while quickly fading out the third song. Make sure you move the crossfader in the center of your mixer while slamming in the downbeat. Another option is to totally fade out the song that’s playing each time you slam in the downbeat, but remember to fade it back in once you’ve slammed in the downbeat. If you are fast enough, you can try this: 1 & slam in downbeat & 3 & slam in downbeat. 1 & slam in downbeat & 3 & slam in downbeat, and let the song continue to play while quickly fading out the other song.

6.Load the fifth song. When the fourth song has played for several minutes, echo it out (which is applying an echo effect to part of a song and stopping the song, but the echo continues). As soon as the echo stops, start the fifth song. This is also good for making transitions between fast and slow songs.

Warning: ALWAYS PRELISTEN TO YOUR CUES BEFORE BRINGING THEM INTO THE MIX!!!

Congratulations! You’ve just finished a quick mix set. Have as many mix sets prepared in advance as you possible can. When you’ve finished a set, play a few requests—this allows you time to get ready for the next mix set.

You can use these transitions in any order you like or together. Here’s an example: Play the first song for several minutes, when it gets to an instrumental part that you like, loop it. “Beatlock” the second song and count 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat. 1 & 2 & 3 & slam in downbeat. 1 & slam in downbeat & 3 & slam in downbeat with an echo effect, fade out the other song. When the echo effect stops, slam in downbeat again and let the song continue to play.

In closing, I hope these suggestions help you mix like a pro.

OO

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 9:09 am
I forgot one very important thing: record yourself when you practice. This allows you to evaluate your mixes and make any necessary changes. When you feel confident about how your mixes sound, let other people hear your mixes and ask them for their honest opinions. Tell them that their honest opinions will not hurt your feelings, but help you become a better DJ. I've done this many times (even with other DJ's), and I still do it.

OO

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 9:35 am
Pro practice tip #5 in my post works good on fast songs. However, the faster the song, the harder it becomes to perform it.

OO

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 10:38 am
thanx proto & double 0 ;) nice guide

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 10:42 am
I wouldnt use beatlock professionally. It is not 100% perfect.

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 11:07 am
i never use beatlock...
it just seems to "get in the way"... sync beats, and nudge if they drift. Find that a lot better for advanced use and mixing

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 11:11 am
Proto: “I wouldnt use beatlock professionally. It is not 100% perfect.”

When I say “Beatlock,” I mean press the Beatlock Button to instantly match the bpm’s, then press it again to turn it off. This allows you to fine tune the bpm’s if it's needed. Since I’m still learning how to use VDJ, I will not comment on the “Beatlock” feature. Also, some of the tips that I’ve mentioned were used with other DJing methods.

OO

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 11:30 am
Double O...

Use the SYNC button for that... will do the same as hitting beat lock on/off.. or even use space-bar at pc (sync button)

:)

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 11:32 am
Thanks for the info dj in norway. I'm still learning, which is what this thread is all about.

OO

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 11:36 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
well this up post is for amateur djs..... the profesionals djs with nivel are using this program because it has active waveform... and you can see the song´s breaks.... if you use the zoom of the active waveform... well you could be a good dj.. but it is not segure... and other question if you want to learn, please you must see a others djs... and you must learn to listen the music... now if you are a amateur dj you don´t understand me (and probably because my bad english ;) ) but with the time.... you will understend me.. thanks...

Posté Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 7:43 pm
"...well this up post is for amateur djs......"

lol ;) well.. kinda agree.. the topic should rather be "advanced beginner guide" or something like that - as this topic tread covers the basic mixing guide for new users... like cue settings, pitch use, etc

Maybe we can make a real pro user tread later...

Posté Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 7:56 pm
As Pronto stated above, this thread is from the General Discussion–“Good Djing” thread. Someone wanted help because he was having difficulty beat mixing. His difficulty was compounded by the fact that he was trying to beat mix everything. Consequently, I gave him some basic info so he could add alternatives to his mixing.

OO

b.t.w. I can’t wait for the “real pro user thread later...”

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 2:39 am
lol ;) no worries... only think the experienced user wyworg was looking for some more really advanced tips ..thats all

it's still a GREAT guide... !! :)
and perfect for advanced beginners.. and even pros...

its a good mix (no pun! lol) of advanced skills and pro tips... :) no worries

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 2:58 am
“no worries...”

I’m not worried (I know you have my back). Plus I’ve learned in life not to take things personal, which helps prevent you from becoming emotional. I’ve also learned from my many experiences in life to make sure what you have communicated is understood. Consequently, I was only informing wyworg about how the contents of this thread originated. I also agree with his assessment of this thread; that's why I suggested the title "GOOD BEGINNER’S GUIDE."

“... only think the experienced user wyworg was looking for some more really advanced tips ..”

I would like to hear him mix, so I went to his website. However, I couldn’t locate a mix because I don’t understand the language. I also went to your site, but I couldn’t locate a mix either. I did locate your Hercules skin; it looks good!

OO

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 8:33 am
lol ;) hehe

I like you Double O - nice to have some new blood & new spirit on the board ;) glad to see ya here... really ;)

now... I went to your webs...... eh.. no profile! ;) hint hint... lol

AND, thinking about it, most of what I thought would be good in advanced AND even in pro guide is covered here... Sure there might be a few additional hints & tweaks, but not sure what....
Reading Protos and your post again, I for one, do not know much to add....lol ;)

A really pro guide might just be no more and no less than: "KNOW your music collection... listen to it often, so u know your songs. When lyrics start, chorus, mood-changes etc etc" ;) maybe ;)

anyway.. good to see ya here... ;) keep up the spirit

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 12:37 pm
Haha, I actually agree with wyworg. It is actually pro tips for new guys. This is the very basic stuff. From here it is indeed watching other DJ's and listening. Technique is only a very small part of DJing.

The most difficult part is the party part. To get people to have a great time partying. That is what the club owner/promoter hires you for: to make him money which a small part goes to you.

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 11:39 pm
agree Proto... ;) totally...

was trying to be a bit diplomatic about the issue advanced guide vs pro guide.... lol :)

it is basic stuff, in a more advanced package..
but sure any pro dj would not get much from it..
as you say "pro tips for new guys".. excelent choice of words ;) lol

Posté Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 11:52 pm
Well let's see what more stuff we can come up with:

Record selection & style:

If you are a famous DJ people come to see you and hear what you music you play. Until then people happen to hear you play. If you want to become more famous, give the people what they want. I know there is an argument for saying that a DJ should do his own thing whether the public likes it or not. Well if the public doesnt like it, you are not making money for the club owner/promotor.

Make sure that you play the right style for the party. If your own style is deep house and you happen to be booked for a hardstyle party (just an extreme example), make it so your sound sounds more hardstyle.

Test your records. If you start getting more gigs, bring along a few new records each time and test them to see how the public reacts. Do this either in the early part or end part of your set. This is especially handy if you have a residency somewhere. The ideal place to build your set. If people don't like a record, don't play it anymore.

Your set:

The basic idea behind a set is to build it up to some high point. This can be done simply by playing more quiet songs early on, getting louder and faster songs later on. One can also increase BPM slowly during the set, although most of the time this should be not so much.

A somewhat different approach uses peaks in between. If you would draw it, it would look more like a mountain stage of the Tour the France. Say you have a two hour set, then you have first little peak at 30 minutes, second on after 50 minutes, and third one after 70 minutes and then it is full throthle to the end with a bit of a slowdown last 10 minutes to give the next DJ a change. If you are last just keep building up to the end, unless the club owner is a dumbo and he wants you to clear the place.

This has the effect of getting people more exstatic and deeper into a trance.

Sound control:

While your record is playing, keep listeningen whether high, middle and low are set to the best effect. As the song get more intense increase high and middle to give it more kick and effect on the dancefloor.

There are many DJ tricks, but one of the most usefull is the bass pump. This has as effect that people start wanting to dance, or if they are dancing already get wilder and stuff.

It basically is a short fast increase in the low. This is especially used after a break when the beat returns. The simple version: during the break drop the low to 25% or less. The more you get to the end of the break, the less bass you play. The moment the first beat arrives turn up the bass all the way to say 60%/70% and the drop is back to the optimum setting.

More advanced: Add high and middle while dropping the low. You can make a screaming noice by turning middle all the way up. Drop the volume a bit. When the first ebat after the break comes, start turning up the bass three counts before the first beat, while at the same time drop the volume 50%. When the first beat arrives, bass should be at 60% or so, and ram the volume up very fast. This will give a whoosh effect that gets people dancing. Warning: this also gives a spike through your sound system that can blow up speakers. Club owners don't like that. Make sure that some sound guy gets the blame, and not your bass pump.

Promoting yourself:

It is all about the money. Well not really because DJing is the best feeling on earth, but let's just say so for argument sake. You bought VDJ and now you want to make money. First of all invest more. Make sure you have a laptop that works under extreme conditions (Very hot environment comes to mind, but I have had rain pour over my laptop too). A pro sound card so you have two identical sound sources. A mp3 controller, and time coded vinyl. Get a professional bag. I use a 19" rack bag which stores everything nice.

Next thing: demo CD's. Make a specific CD for everyone you want to influence. Use standerd demo's only for surprise encounters or if it is really really good and you had great reactions, other wise make something special for someone.

Give these CD's to everyone and his momma. You simply do not know how fate can get you a gig. And all gigs are great. Find out who the club owners/promotors are. Go to their parties and get to know them personally. If you have friends who know people, get them to introduce you. Most gigs are given on a friend basis, not on quality of your DJing.

If after one CD, they don't give you a gig, but neither tell you to never show your face again, in a few months, bring them another CD, and another, and another up until the time you are famous and the beg you to come, or they will give you a gig.

Don't rule out parties abroad.

Build your resume. It is just like any other job where you have a job interview.

If you reach a stage where you know that you can host a great party, go find a booking agent, get a manager, get more jobs and get paid more.

Well that's it for now. If I come up with more I'll let you know.

Posté Wed 04 Aug 04 @ 7:49 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
odoble The first thing to say to you that I am one of the dj mas known about my city in this moment ... anyhow to say to you ke to begin the music thing goes in paces of 16 blows that not indicais and that changes every 32 or 64 blows this is only an example and the fundamental thing for a dj like that that learns of my and of others what you should can .. a greeting...

if you want a mix of me please paid it... ;)

Posté Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 9:10 pm
69%