Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Timecode CD gain problem - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Since I can't post on my other thread until someone else posts and I said I found the problem, I'll post it again...sorry 'bout that.

When the input signal knob on my soundcard is turned to "normal" (almost halfway, like when I record some synth sounds), the timecode config window is showing something like this

And when I set the input signal of my soundcard to the max, the the gain in the timecode config window it gives this:

From what I understand, the red waveform is noise, and the green one is the timecoded signal, right?

So, what could the problem be? My soundcard input is set to "Line" with no pad on, if I play a music CD through my soundcard, it sounds ok.

Please help me

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 2:17 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
patton686 wrote :
From what I understand, the red waveform is noise, and the green one is the timecoded signal, right?

Both are timecoded signal which is a STEREO signal: one color for left channel and the other one for right channel

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 12:32 pm
Could someone please upload a pic of what the waveform should look like please?

I tried 3 different types of Y splitters and always get the waveforms posted earlier. Any idea what could the problem be?

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 2:14 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

ideal signal

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 2:51 pm

So from what I understand it may be that my sound card doesn't recognize the stereo signal but opnly mono? If you look at the red waveform in the first pic I posted, it looks correct, but not the green one so, could that be the problem?

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 3:57 pm
sorry mate the images are blocked here (my collage is grumpy:()

il check when soon as i get home :)

Regards

Simon

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 4:02 pm
Thanks alot! I'll wait for your response!

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 4:23 pm
Any news Sky? thx

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 8:13 pm
try making smaller jumps until it just about fills the screen with a neat wave curve then press auto config

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 8:17 pm
I get smooth waveforms on the red line but as soon as I turn up the gain the green waveform begins to go all crazy, all over the screen...

Posté Wed 10 Jan 07 @ 8:20 pm
Ok so yesterday I gone to Radio Shack buy some new RCA to 1/4 connectors just to see if that could cause the trouble; still the same thing! I tried different RCA cables too. I also used different RCA cables, and turned the gains in small step like you told me and it's still there! I played the timecodes at 75, 76, 89 and 105 db, the waveforms always look the same way, depending on how much I play with the gains.

I downloaded VDJ trial just to see if that could be the installation of Numark Cue that causes this and the same thing so, what's left? Bad soundcard inputs configuration in Windows? Since I installed my Fast Track Pro, there's no input option in the Windows sound panel. Is there some place I could download the timecode in .wav? Is my CDX having not enough gain? I don't think so since when I record some CDs I play in Ableton Live everything works fine. I really wonder why if the red and green lines in the timecode config panel are L/R channels why the red one is oscillating normally but the green is totally flat, until I play with the gains and it then goes all crazy.

Please help:(

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 2:50 pm
Oh yeah I also tried to disable the internal soundcard of my laptop thinking that the internal mic could cause ambiant noise and conflict with the Fast Track...Help plz...

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 3:23 pm
im thinking of the best action to take il get back to u asp :)

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 3:38 pm
one idea do you have a mp3 player or a walkman you could play the singal on to compare ?

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 3:39 pm
try aslo ticking the box "software preamp"

what happens now?

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 4:15 pm
You mean RIAA preamp? Yeah I tried ticking it and same thing... I'll be back home in 2 hours, I'll try to play the timecode through my ipod and a cd player to see what it does, you may be right. I'll comeback to you with the results.

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 4:49 pm

Sorry to arrive late at this thread, but just ignore all above Patton, as the real answer is quite simple
(and should be easy to tell on your pictures posted too, ONE red wave)

The answer to your problems is this:
- IT HAS MONO INOPUTS!

That will NOT work with timecode, that needs STEREO input.

FastTrack is not a good choice of card for timecode use, as it has two mono inputs.
It CAN in theory be used with ONE timecode, using the separate mono inputs to create one stereo..

On the front of the Fastrack you only have 1 pair total (two mono inputs not 2 stereo inputs). I hope this clears it up for you

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 5:58 pm
thanks for the lesson rune :)

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 6:27 pm
Thanks for the answer Zune,

To clear up, that's exactly what I was trying to do; using only 1 timecode. I plug the 2 RCA out of my CDX to the 2 mono inputs of the Fast Track using RCA to 1/4 connectors, but yeah, that may be that Cue cannot see that I'm using the 2 inputs to create the stereo effect. Do you know any way I could fix that?

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 6:54 pm

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.,....

Connect the STEREO sound from your turntable/cdplayer to the TWO mono ins at the FastTrack.

Then in ASIO config in VDJ, open BOTH ports/channels for ASIO IN ....

It may work, not sure

Posté Thu 11 Jan 07 @ 8:18 pm
91%