Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet changing a cd controller to a midi controller

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

not sure if this has been discussed

i got a used Pioneer CMX3000 from my old club
the pickups have to replaced

i was thinking of giving it a look inside
especially the controller
the mechanical parts must be pretty much the same, i think ...

does anybody heard or has experience with this
i mean modifying a cd controller into a midi/usb controller

Posté Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 10:43 am
Hmmm, this is kind of one of the things I've been thinking about recently to replace my rubbish BCD !

Rather than re-working a CD deck console, I've been exploring the idea of making my own midi interface from scratch, but the concepts are the same - you are looking at stripping out all the inner workings of the cd console, leaving just the switches for play, cue etc, and the linear pot for pitch, plus whatever the electronic components for the scratch wheel are (a pot and some other stuff I assume) - and then hooking those into a midi interface. You will need to make the midi interface; and thats what I've been reading about recently.

Look here for a good start: http://www.maxmidi.com/diy/foot/index.html - its a midi interface for a single pot (they use a foot pedal, but could easily be a pitch slider) - its based on the PIC programmable EEPROM which you will probably have to program yourself (the guy who wrote that article can you send you a preprogrammed one for his footpedal project, but I reckon the software that will need to be on your eeprom will be slightly different).
Quite complicated, and that is a circuit for just one control device (a pot) - we need quite a lot for a DJ controller (various on/off switches, pots etc)

A more complicated version is here: http://www.come.to/re_turn - which is an 8 pot device - probably a bit closer to what we need. This is based on the Atmel AT89C2051 eeprom, and again you will need a programmer for it. The guy has provided the software for his project to burn to the eeprom, but I reckon our use will be slightly different - eg. his pots have 128 steps - I would like to try to et it working with 256 (certainly for the pitch control)

In general, I reckon you need a decent amount of electronics knowledge - more than the ability to use a soldering iron. I think this is the area where I will fail - I know a bit about electronics, but some of the circuits and descriptions/explanations are losing me a bit !

I hope this gives you a good head start - best of luck, and let us know how you get on :-)

Cheers

JD

Posté Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 1:44 pm
hey jd,
thanx for the input

i just saw dj-in-norway's posts reg. the new hardware "toys"... hehe
damn... they look nice...

anyway...
i actually thought of buying a used or getting a broken midi controller really cheap
something like hercules or so...
where only the switches/buttons are broken
the curcuit is working
remove the curcuit
and connect it to the cd console

well...
not sure if it's even worth trying
money and time wise...

Posté Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 10:25 pm
Jakes Daddy wrote :
eg. his pots have 128 steps - I would like to try to et it working with 256 (certainly for the pitch control)

A standard MIDI CC (Controller) only has 128 unique values. However, the MIDI specification does offer course/fine controllers, which effectively combines two CC's together to create a 14-bit instead of 7-bit value, allowing 16,384 unique values!)

However, I don't think VDJ's MIDI implementation currently supports course/fine controllers (Very few (If any) DJ-related MIDI controllers actually currently implement these.)

Controllers such as the DAC-3 and XP10 which offer greater pitch precision use their own protocol over USB rather than MIDI (DAC-3 acts as a USB Human Interface Device.)

For further info, see: http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm

Posté Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 8:05 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)