Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet mixing with dj console

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

jolfyHome userMember since 2006
Ok hey guys i seem to be having a bit of trouble mixing with my dj console. What i want to know is about beatmatching. Ok so here goes the story:

Im playing a song on deck a and say the song is running at 128bpm. Now i load up a song on deck b. Adjust the Bpm to match deck a (128). Now i switch on prelisten on the headphones and i find the point where i should start the song. I cue the point and adjust the pitch so it is matched. Ok so heres wat i need to know. Once i have cue'd and adjust the pitch. I press the stop button and wait for the song on deck a to reach the point where i want to start mixing in deck b. Now when pressing the play button (on deck b)do i have to wait for the big square in the cbg do be directly on the beat in (deck a)??? Otherwise if i press play at any time the pitch does not stay the same and i have to adjust it while i am playing it live, which is noticeable.

Much help appreciated

Posté Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 6:14 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes they need to line up so the beats line up aslo :)

Posté Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 1:03 pm
so its pretty much all about timing and pressing the play button at the rite time?

Posté Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 3:30 pm
just start the track before you mix give your self about 10 seconds headstart

Posté Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 5:57 pm
ah i see. So pretty much press play, adjust pitch so its in sync, once all is good wait for the first beat then cut it in then? Thanks for your help.

Posté Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 6:38 am

Posté Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 9:27 pm
tell me please how i may using console?

Posté Wed 21 Feb 07 @ 8:00 pm
it may be conflict with live mode?

Posté Wed 21 Feb 07 @ 8:03 pm
pardon?

Posté Wed 21 Feb 07 @ 10:37 pm
fr0styPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I would try lining the songs up way before you have to bring in song B, that'll give you some time to make sure they are actually at the same BPM.

Depending on what you want to do too, I would try not to rely on the visual indicators. Since I'm only learning myself and want to really learn how to mix 'by ear', what I'll do is change the BPM displays to show Pitch +/- instead, so that way I can't be tempted to look at the indicators. I've also found that often the BPM that VDJ calculates for a song can be slightly off - I've beatmatched tracks that stay together for a long time, yet they'll show BPMs that are different (like one showing 129 and one showing 129.1). Also, sometimes the display up the top gets it wrong too - it might get the first downbeat of a song wrong, or the songs actually sound better when the small boxes are a little off rather than perfectly aligned.

Now I'm starting to use the displays mainly as a training aid at the moment, so once I'm pretty sure that I've got two songs beatmatched, I'll look at the BPMs and watch the top display to see if they're keeping in time. I'll trust what I'm hearing and if the display is telling me something else, I'll try and listen for the expected difference. If the displays are right, I'll often be able to hear the error and go 'oh yeah that DOES sound like deck A/B is drifting a bit", but sometimes I know my ears are right and VDJ is wrong. I find that works well for me.

By the way, you can cue up a point, then play the cued deck, then if you press 'CUE' instead of 'PLAY/PAUSE', the deck should return to the cued point and be paused ready for you to start playing again.

Posté Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 4:27 am
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
jolfy wrote :
so its pretty much all about timing and pressing the play button at the rite time?

another very handy feature is if you left-click the beatmatch button and hold the mouse key down instead of just clicking once you will see it not only does a bpm match but will synch up the beats too. (this works really good for house/dance but also works for other types of music)

Posté Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 6:12 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)