Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Video Quality

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I know a lot on here are brainwashed to the Promo Only camp, not me however, I use Mixmash because I find the quality far superior, I've said that before and it's been dismissed, however, I'm in the process of sorting all my video, so to prove my point I've added a little something to my blog here:-

http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/TopHouse/

Your opinions would be appreciated but i think it speaks for itself :o)

Posté Thu 01 Mar 07 @ 12:57 pm
I'm surprised no-one has commented on this since i know there are a lot of promo only supporters in here. Opinions anyone?

Posté Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 1:03 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
TopHouse,

That was a good comparison, and even as a PromoOnly user, I have to say that the MixMash does appear to have more detail and more contrast at least for that particular case. It would be good if you could compare both with the correct aspect ratios. The stretched out MixMash screen may be showing more detail, or more likely is actually making the MixMash screen look worse than it actually is.
The color on the PromoOnly looks a little warmer though, and the MixMash looks a little washed-out, but only in comparison to each other, and I wouldn't say either would be bad, in fact, you may prefer the brighter picture of the MixMash, especially if it will be shown in the vicinity of bright FX lights.

One thing that is not subjective, however is the fact that the MixMash series costs about twice what PromoOnly costs. Granted, PromoOnly probably costs alot more in Europe too due to higher tax rates, but I doubt it costs as much as MixMash. I know people who stock up on regular CD's and DVD's when they visit the US just to take advantage of our "cheap prices."

PromoOnly does also appears to have about 50% more tracks per issue too. To be fair, the additional tracks on PromoOnly are probably the "filler" ones that no-one ever uses anyway. This is probably how PromoOnly is able to keep their prices lower. What? Sounds counter-intuitive right? See my topic on this which you have inspired me to formulate: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/66173/General_Discussion/Downloadable_video_services_.html

Anyway, these are my opinions. And I think I would really prefer to be able to get MixMash, but being here in the US, it is unavailable to me. I have tried in the past.

I always try to be openminded, and give an honest opinion, but it's always fun to hear from someone who wears blinders and refuses to consider all possibilities, choosing instead that whatever they do MUST be the best or else they wouldn't be doing it. Any of you out there? Failing that, any more open minded opinions?

Posté Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 4:40 pm
do you have a direct link for mixmash?

Posté Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 9:23 pm
That comparison definitely shows some improvement, but is irrelevant in my case. I get my DVDs from PromoOnly, VMS, and TM Century. I am not "brainwashed" to any particular service. If this Mixmash service is not available in the US, why should I be concerned? My competitors can't get it either. So we are all showing the same video. Quality is a big concern for me, that's why I rip to vob. I can't worry about something that's not even here. Also, what is the cost of the service, and how many videos do you get per disc?

Posté Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 9:50 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well at first glance it looks better....I mean brighter...

HOWEVER.....if you look closely....you can see just how stretched it really is.
Promo's intention is to leave the videos in their natural state both in color and aspect ratio.
If you compare the two shots again, you will see serious stretching in the face and even the window panes in the back.
The other noticeable thing is the bottom section of the frame is chopped off.

Now if you consider hacked up, stretched and altered better, then more power to you.
Offering a natural NTSC format is more important to most of us, not sure what benefit you see but it really isn't important as you proved my point for me.

What ever floats your boat and like Rick the man said, what good is it to us if it isn't available to the whole lot of us.
Where on the other hand PO is available in Europe as well.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.....

Posté Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 1:33 am
I knew there was something different about the two, but could not put my finger on it. Plus, that was one of the poorest quality videos ever made anyway. Looking forward to their greatest hits collection.

Posté Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 8:44 am
Just noticed that I also have the TM Century version, and it looks better then PO, and no stretching. Brighter, might be a better word. I will not lose any sleep, because as I said, my competitors have the same versions. Actually, I don't have any competitors yet, because I am the only one doing video. Not one of my customers have said anything about the quality of my videos.

Posté Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 9:36 am
The stretching is apparent there but don't forget that over here we are on PAL and you are on NTSC. Promo Only are NTSC and Mixmash are PAL. Actually the mixmash one is a better rendition, Holly Johnson isn't that fat! :o)

Posté Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 1:32 pm
funkturnal wrote :
do you have a direct link for mixmash?

www.mixmash.com

Posté Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 1:33 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)