Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Virtual DJ Club Installation

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hey,

Please can you take a minute to read this post and suggest some solutions?

Scenario: I am looking to install Virtual DJ into my club where I hold a two Friday and Saturday nights residency, playing a mix of Commerical Dance and RnB.

After some condsideration I have decided to move to the Virtual DJ route, but ideally want to keep to CDs also.

Currently I have:

Virtual DJ software
DJM600
CDJ 800 Mk2's (2 No.)
1 Laptop

Could some one please suggest what is the best route to creating an install from here. I am considering:

What computer to get?
What additional hardwre I might need? (CAN I USE THE CDJ'S? - SHOULD I GET SOME ICDX's ?)
What soundcard should I use?
What mixer should I get? (DJM 800?)

As this system will not be moved and is used for about ten hours a week min, it needs to be up to speed and to a good spec/standard. Money isnt an issue. but sensiblilty is :)

Thanks

DJ Ashton

Posté Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 3:01 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
One little question for you DJ ashton, are you planning to do Video now or in the future, or just audio in the club,

If you are planning video many VJ's like these smaller Shuttle pc's. they can be upgrade quite easy. Laptops are quite difficult to upgrade, it's worth thinking about.

Jimmy b

Posté Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 12:04 pm
I agree with jimmy by, dj ashton.

Dj ashton you sound familiar, are you the same ashton in austin, tx?

well anyways, if your going to just use vdj in the club and no where else, I wouldnt invest money in a laptop as there are so many tweaks and things to get rid of just to build the pc into a vdj rig. Trust me, I know from experience. BUt if you do want a laptop, consider investing in a macbook pro with a 2.2 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram, running core 2 duo and leopard., or invest in any of the dell's xps laptops, its an arm and leg but if money is of no concern i would probably recommend the apple macbook pro, since its windows backwards compatible as well as mac os now too.

also, for soundcards i would invest in either the maya 44, the herc mk2, or the serato SL1. STAY AWAY FROM M-AUDIO CONNECTIV. Bad soundcard, and has negative effects on both laptop and desktop.

Now I strongly agree with Jimmy b, just because in the future you may want to do video, and every vj now is going towards the shuttle pc rounte just because you have the option to switch out video and soudncards alot easier then going through a laptop.

FINALLY HERE GOES:

1. INVEST IN LAPTOPS "MACBOOK BRO" "DELL XPS"
2. INVEST IN DESKTOPS "SHUTTLE PC" OR "MACS"
3. SPECS: CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 2 GIGS OF RAM, 160-1000GBS OF HARDDRIVE SPACE FOR MUSIC
4. SOUNDCARDS: SL1, HERCULES MK2, NUVJ, MAYA 44USB, TOTAL COTROL

hopefully this helps somewhat, i dont know everything about this, but I am going from past experiences and talking to other djs, so this may sound correct, but again, just keep posting in the forums, and im sure there is someone who can quote either the same or different.

lastly budget:
anywhere between 500-5000$

p.s., turntables of choice,
CDJ-1000MK3S, ABOVE THE REST, THEN IF NOT CDJS, THE NEW CDJ-400, THEN THE ICDX
FOR MORE INFO ON ICDX, ASK FOR DJ SMG
FOR INFO ON CDJS, YOU CAN ASK ME, OR ANYONE IN THE FORUMS

Posté Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 3:16 pm
sinstahPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I own a pair of icdx's and as an integrated controller for vdj they are awesome but as a cdj on its own I would probably have purchased pioneer cdjs over the icdx (knowing what I know now) but as Im completely vdj based now the icdx works better for me.

In my opinion compared to cdjs the build quality doesnt feel as solid depending on how hard your residents are on the gear would possibly recommend the cdjs over the icdx. Ive had no major problems with the icdx's to date. My opinions are based on personal preference. it is a good piece of kit.

for smaller and more mobile gigs my gear consists of:
korg zero4 & zero8 (used with abletonlive, built-in firewire pre/soundcard)
mac book pro
2x numark icdx

Posté Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 8:51 pm
im not saying this is what to do, but here is what i do,

i run one of the biggest club systems in Canada, i run Serado, Virtual Dj and Final Scratch,

i use the Virtual DJ for strictly video and controll it with a Dac3 controller, as well as pioneer MK3's and run the audio through a delta 88 sound card and the system works very well,

i use all that gear for a simple reason, i hate renting stuff for shows,

something to take into concideration is that although VDJ is a very powerful and reliable system it's still not a accepted touring system for big name dj's, they still seem to be stuck in the Serado world,

in MY opinion i would purchase some KEY components that will work for ANY dj (MK2, MK3, SL1200) as well as a Pioneer DJM800 mixer as well as sone type of Virtual DJ interface system so that if you do have a big name show you will have the major components that you will need, after that id buy what worked best for my budget,

so many times clubs go out and buy USER SPECIFIC equipment and totaly neglect the fact that maybe someday they might need to change something or do something that is not the norm and they get screwwed on rentals

just think if you had to replace yourself for a night, could your replacement figger out your gear? or would it take a few hours of training?

in addition if your doing a club install, spend the money on a mother of god computer (something beefy) and make it liquid cooled NOT FAN COOLED or build a seperate room for the computer, just thunk how gross a lighting system looks after a few months and now imagine your prossesor in your computer, now imagine your dirty stinky clogged prossesor exploding half way through a show and you have no backup!!!!!! hmmmmmmm (i only bring this up because ive seen it happen )

lastly placement of your moniters, with the Dawn of Mp3 dj's i find a major problem is that they tend to hide behind the screens, put them to the side, so that the crowd sees you and you see the crowd (how many dj's have you seen on stage hiding behind some type of a screen?)

please feel free to e mail me anytime, i am currently the production manager for the biggest club in western canada, and i build clubs for a living

BJ
schoolofevil@mac.com
www.empireballroom.ca

Posté Tue 11 Dec 07 @ 6:53 pm
moshiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
dj jcfloresxbox360 wrote :

Numark TotalControl isn't a soundcard...it's only a controler !

Posté Tue 11 Dec 07 @ 7:23 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
moshi wrote :
dj jcfloresxbox360 wrote :

Numark TotalControl isn't a soundcard...it's only a controler !

That's right my friend.

Jimmy b

Posté Tue 11 Dec 07 @ 7:31 pm
Hi,

Firstly thanks for the advice guys! I have been on so many forums in my time and never had such a positive feedback! Much appreciated!

No, sorry I am not DJ Ashton from TX - I am actually from the UK! ;O)

In the future I really would like to get into VJ'ing, but as I am getting the grasp of encorporating the Virtual side of Djing into my sets, I will just stick to the audio side for now. Definately something I will condider for the future when deciding on equip! VJing is looking more attracting every day.

From what I am reading, I get the general vibe that the desktop approach is more the way to go. As BJ stated, I have seen many equipment fry over the past year and so keeping it away from the booth is a must. Infact, our Amps have been moved to a cooled room next to the main club room & DJ booth, so that could be a solution to keeping it clean.

[quote/]

i run one of the biggest club systems in Canada, i run Serado, Virtual Dj and Final Scratch,

i use the Virtual DJ for strictly video and controll it with a Dac3 controller, as well as pioneer MK3's and run the audio through a delta 88 sound card and the system works very well

[quote/]

Does the above mean that I should really look into Serado as a system to use for my current Djing situation?

I have thought about using Pioneer CDJ Mk3's with the DJM 800 as the mixer uint, linking up to the Virtual side if the system. I am not clear on how or how well the will all link up as there is a lack of expereinced guys from around where I live, but the components I mentiond above should be suitable as KEY for most vising DJ's.

The CDJ1000's can be used to control the softwares right? That where Timecodes kick in?

I have heard a few people using the MAYA44 Soundcard so will look into them. I am guessing the more expensive the components the better performance? Maybe/Maybe not! :oS

The overall thing, I am a DJ that loves DJing purely for the entertaining side and outting on a good show so I dont want to be tweaking with a mouse.. I really love the hands on approach to DJing.

Wow this is going to be a massive task to get it all up and running! Phew!

Thanks guys! Any more info, please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards

DJ Ashton

Posté Wed 12 Dec 07 @ 3:35 am
Hey there, just a bit more advice for you.

Pretty much all of what's said above is right on the money.

For any computer-based DJing setup the most important element (other than the computer itself) is the sound card, or "audio interface" as the posh ones are called thses days. This really will make a big difference and is worth getting right, but it's not straightforward as there are several options.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Maya 44s and Hercules MK2s are fine for small venues (I have both) but I wouldn't recommend either for a club setup as you WILL notice the difference on a big system. Instead have a look at a "Fireface 400" or a "Prosonus Fire Box". These are both serious pieces of kit although they may lead to compatability issues and lots of wire swapping for visiting DJs.

In order to use timecoded vinyl or CDs to control Virtual DJ (which gives you the exact same hands-on control as traditional mixing, and is thoroughly recommended!!) you need to connect the audio output of your CDJs (for timecoded CDs) to your "audio interface", and then the 2 outputs of the "audio interface" to your mixer. The only problem now is you can't use your CDJs as regular CD players without the computer turned on and running VirtualDJ. Same goes for turntables if you use the timecoded vinyl instead. Not cool.

Don't be put off though, there is a simple solution!!

In your situation I'd go for the Serato box (which works with all software, not just Scratch Live). It's built by Rane so you know it means business!

The biggest advantage of the Serato box, and what makes it the industry standard for touring pros, is that it has 2 "through" channels. This means whatever's plugged into it (turntables or CDJs) will work with the mixer as normal even if the computer's not turned on, or even if the box is not plugged into the computer at all. This means the pros can just unplug their laptops when they've finished their set and hand over to the next man with no frantic swapping of RCA leads.

Basically, you won't know it's there unless you're using it. And it's really small, takes up minimal space!

I can't remember exactly what the back of a DJM 600 looks like but I'm pretty sure you can do the following:

Turntables hooked up to the phono inputs as standard (channels 3 & 4 on the 600)
CDJs hooked up to "CD-In" inputs on channels 1 & 2 (via the Serato box and it's "through outputs")
Audio output from the Serato box (your 2 VirtualDJ channels) hooked up to the "line in" of channels 3 & 4. - If there's a switch to change channel 2's phono input to line level (this is the bit can't remember) then do this and use "Line In" of channel 1&2 instead.

Doing this you can use your existing gear and all any visiting DJ has to do is connect one USB lead from his laptop to your Serato box and magic can happen!

You could use a 6 channel mixer, but this is only really worth getting if you plan to hook up a drum machine or sampler etc.

3rd and final option is mixers with built in soundcards.

These include (in order of personal preference)
Allen & Heath Xone 3d
Ecler Evo-5
Rane TTM57SL (only has 2 channels)
DJM 800? I'm not sure this will really help your case, and it's more built for triggering samples in Ableton Live than running Virtual DJ.

Others exist but you should avoid sub thousand dollar units for big system use.

With these you plug you computer straight into the mixer via USB, it's that simple. Of the 3 I'd go for the A&H as it's got jog wheels for pitch bending your tracks into place, and then there's the sound....

Keeping your computer away from the booth is, as previously mentioned, highly recommended. Disco dirt / club grime is just plain nasty! Also Consumer computers aren't designed for hot, smokey, sweaty clubs.

So, there it is. Hope that's helped. It may at first seem like a major hassle to integrate Virtual DJ into your gear, but really it's not (you can hook up Serato in less than 5 minutes, without stopping the music), so take the plunge and get involved!

Posté Fri 14 Dec 07 @ 4:50 pm
urka_21Home userMember since 2007
That's right my dog

Posté Sat 15 Dec 07 @ 2:00 am
RuudboyPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Desktop computer no laptop, if you going to store a lot of music you dont want an external drive too unsteable!!

The following equipment is on my rider, and i know a lot of dj's and 90% of them ask the same!
2x CDJ 1000's
2x Technics SL1200MK5
DJM800 Mixer (midi cable connected!)

Soundcard, this one is tough... I would go for the serato box because you will notice a lot of dj's play with serato and it works with VDJ 2.

Posté Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 4:45 am
arasnkHome userMember since 2009
Hello everyone,

Need an advice, I'll appreciate if u can help me..
I've got Hercules DJ console mk2..
I would like to buy Pioneer CDJ-800MK2 (pairs) and a mixer. Can I connect these stuff to my laptop to control them on Virtual Dj?
And one more question.. can I also connect my present Hercules console with Pioneers?

Thank you..
Aras

Posté Wed 07 Oct 09 @ 11:22 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
it would have been better if you had opened a new thread then using a near two year old one, try opening a new thread for a better response.

Posté Thu 08 Oct 09 @ 5:05 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)