Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Whats the word? ( back up Drive)

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Ok so here is the deal. i have two 500 gig drives. One is called primary the other is called back up. When i update them with new tunes i update both at the same time with the same stuff. My question is this. When i hook up my normal primary drive that always use, and also the drive i used when i created all my virtual folders and playlists everything works fine. Ok so when i hook up my back up drive and it shows the drive, but when i add it to the Search DB and then search for a song, two of them show up. One for the primary drive and one from the back up. If you try to load the one from primary it says error because its not there obviously . How do i get this toi not happen. I want to be able to just hook up my secondary drive incase of failur and still be able to use all the same virtual folders and playlists, with out ahving to scroll through 40 duplicates of one song. to drive to find the one that will load. Example they primary drive may have 8 copies of come on eilleen ( ok bad example but u get thje point) and then also the back up drie may have 8 copis of it. Thats means with the back up connected i search the song and have 16 of them come up and only 8 work. So how do i solve this. Im sure you all have back up drives that you carry. So whats the trick? Thanks

DJ Bobby B

Posté Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 11:51 am
Hi Auto...I have that same problem...they say that it is being looked at by the dev team. There is an option in vdj to clean the database but it's not working.
the way to get there is "config" then "browser" then at the bottom of that page, it has an option to clean...well that isn't currently working :) but that will be how you fix it.

Posté Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 9:36 pm
Thanks for the info. I wish sky may chime in on this!

Thanks for you help tho. Much appreciated.

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 3:35 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The way to do this is to add the File Path Field in the browser that way you can see what drive it is on. I believe you can make a filter folder for each drive as such i will check for you.

Dont really want to run that clean option because that would reset the database entries for those drives which you might want at a later date but if not you could use the clean option which is going to be patched soon.

Regards

Sinon

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 5:58 pm
Thanks for the help sky.

Can you please keep me posted on the File Path Field in the browser . And maybe give me a step by step on how to do it if you have time. Thanks alot i really appreciate it.

DJ Bobby B

Posté Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 4:06 pm
Hi there , click on the title section of the browser , while holding CTRl + Apple and a Field menu will apear

Choose file path.

Posté Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 4:25 pm
chansinPRO InfinityMember since 2006
First of all I had this problem with my PC version so maybe you can get a fix with the following information.

I want to be able to just hook up my secondary drive incase of failur and still be able to use all the same virtual folders and playlists, with out ahving to scroll through 40 duplicates of one song.

To answer this question, you will not be able to use your virtual folders and playlists on this backup drive UNLESS you make the backup drive the exact letter as you primary. Meaning, your primary is E, you then connect the backup and it shows up as F. You copy all the songs and database. Now if you always have your backup come up as F your virtual folders and playlists will show up as dead links because these folders and playlists are filepath based (E/music/artist/song or F/music/artist/song). They are not the same path so they will not work.

Example they primary drive may have 8 copies of come on eilleen ( ok bad example but u get thje point) and then also the back up drie may have 8 copis of it. Thats means with the back up connected i search the song and have 16 of them come up and only 8 work. So how do i solve this. Im sure you all have back up drives that you carry. So whats the trick? Thanks

The reason for this I think, is that your playlists and history are stored on your C drive. They also use filepath, so if you played these songs with your primary drive and then hook up the backup and it is F instead of E, dead links. I hope I made some sense of it to you. Just to show you what I mean, do a clean and fix on your c drive with your backup hooked up, then restart the program and until you access the history or playlists you will not have dead links.

Sorry, I could not make my replies a different text, I will figure that out next time.

Chris

Posté Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 11:39 pm
Hey thanks for all the great info.

Ok so i see what your saying. Is there a way to get the Mac to recognize both the primary drive and the back up drive as the same letter, so it doesnt know the difference between the two.

Thanks again

Posté Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 8:48 pm
chansinPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I do not know that answer, I would guess you could name them the exact same and see what happens. I am still very new to Mac Os and trying to figure it out myself.

Please post your results for others in the future, mainly me.

:-)

Chris

Posté Sat 15 Mar 08 @ 9:26 am
Hey Chris

I havnt exactly figure it out yet. Been to busy to give it a whirl. Sky is that possible, to name them the same?

Curious to know?

Posté Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 2:14 pm
Mac drives do not work by letters they work by names as such , but the local drive has its own built in assignment of /

If you called the hdd the same as the external it would still see the drives internaly as different the same would be with calling two externals the same you cant really apply windows concepts to mac its a different kettle of fish.

Posté Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 3:48 pm
i,m also having that same problem i tried to clean database on the windows but that no longer works cus i reformatted my hd for mac. any held too much duplicates to search through.

Posté Tue 14 Jul 09 @ 7:12 pm
reasteHome userMember since 2009
Sooo that explains it! databases are always a ... will watch this topic with anticipation

Posté Wed 22 Jul 09 @ 5:18 pm
I do it the same: 2 hd's with the same name. One named in uppercase (DJMUSIC), one in lowercase (djmusic). I use rsync to sync the 2 drives on regulary basis (after adding songs). Also my VDJ database file is on this drive. VDJ work perfect with any of these drives now.

Posté Thu 23 Jul 09 @ 12:44 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)