Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Which laptop would you buy? - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I'd like to see the statment on stability backed up with some facts. I've run AMD for years now (Duron, T-Bird, T-bred, Barton, Athlon64) on all sorts of applications and they've all been rock-stable (even oc'ed ones). Stability issues seems to me to be more realted to chipsets than CPU's (allthough there are of course differences between steppings)... Anyway, my AMD64 laptop has never crashed anything for asnlong as I've had it (about a month, not that long really, but I've used a lot of heavy apps).

Posté Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 11:07 am
Hey i'm not saying that AMD is a worthless piece of junk. In fact, i like Amd for it's cheapness and it's performance. i have build many many systems. All differend kinds of hardware, both Intel and Amd processors used. On some of the Amd systems (not all of them), there were heating problems and needed a really H.U.G.E. fan to get the system stable. After building a system, i always run a 24 -hour 'burn-in' test (running 3d-mark in looped mode) so that the CPU is loaded to the max 100% during 24Hours. That's a pretty good way to test the stability of a processor/system.

some times i had to build 2 exact same systems, both with Amd processors. One did pass the burn-in test, the other one didn't and got stuck after a few hours!

And for the Intel processors, every single system i build with an Intel processor has passed the burn-in test without any trouble or big-fan-replacement.

I must say the latest Amd processors are much more stable than 1,2 years ago. But i wouldn't recommend an Amd processor when stability/continuity is crucial for example a webserver which run 24 hours a day 7 days a week or for VirtualDJ :-D

bottom line: imagine you are doing a live set in a club.. the crowd is moving.. VDJ is doing a great job. and suddenly.. your laptop freezes because your Amd processor is overheated. Everybody will look at you because you are the DJ. That's the nightmare of every MP3-DJ.

The chance that this will happen to an Intel system is much smaller
I still like Amd, but for other purposes (like gaming systems etc).

Posté Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 12:31 pm
hehe.. ive seen that before.. its embarrasing, however I used it as an opportunity to get to know the crowd.. made it look "planned"

key thing in that situation is to laugh.. its a mistake.. they happen, if you have a mic, then use it.. if not then talk louder :)

Posté Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 11:35 pm
WertzHome userMember since 2004
I reckon you're mad to consider buying in PC World TBH; their staff are too sales focused and lack real knowledge, plus their after sales service is crap unless you buy an extended warranty (at over inflated prices). They certainly aren't the cheapest retailers out there either.

If cost is an issue then check out the Dell Outlet site for your relevant country; always a lot of bargains in refurb laptops on there. Also check AcerNotebooksDirect.co.uk.

Don't know much about the Philips so I can't really comment but I've yet to see a Dell branded sandwich toaster ;)

Posté Sun 06 Feb 05 @ 4:30 pm
Thank you all very much !
Peter...

Posté Sun 06 Feb 05 @ 9:01 pm
wertz mate.. i work there

whats your local branch?

Posté Sun 06 Feb 05 @ 11:52 pm
WertzHome userMember since 2004
Irish branch so I doubt you know it but they're famous over here for knowing f*** all when you ask about anything other than an extended warranty. Maybe the UK have better training than they get here. Regardless they're still over priced for most stuff, lappys included. Staff discount might take the edge off though...

Posté Mon 07 Feb 05 @ 8:08 pm
I agree with cebu.I have also Toshiba Satellite 2450 at 2.8Ghz 512Ram and 40Gb and i'm working with this console at many clubs.It rules!!!!!!(My opinion)

Posté Mon 07 Feb 05 @ 10:06 pm
Just for fun:

Because I'm buying the new laptop this summer
I'll have to work with VDJ on an 'old laptop'..
First it glitched and hanged continiously, but
after removing 75% of Windows' services,
and disabling 95% of the onboard hardware
I got it ROCK-AND-ROCK-SOLID :-)

Don't laugh, it's a:
Pentium III-800
256Mb Ram with SHARED video
can only do 800x600 (tweaked the skin)
only 9 gb hdd

I'll have to cool it with a 20cm-fan,
but as said......I CAN'T GET IT TO CRASH! :-)

Posté Sun 13 Feb 05 @ 3:26 pm
lol yes wertz, ya right i don't know them..

over here though the service staff know whats what :)

or maybe it just our branch =P

Posté Mon 14 Feb 05 @ 12:15 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)