Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Time to upgrade...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I've taken up DJ-ing as a hobby this summer (I've done 3 gigs since, and surprisingly have gotten nice crowd reactions). Background: I started out by purchasing the Hercules RMX controller to use with my new Toshiba laptop (running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS, 2MB of RAM ) on which I loaded VirtualDJ software (now upgraded to version 5.2.1). I want to now expand my hardware capabilities and start mixing/scratching on actual CDs. I've researched the setup, conferred with other DJs, and I'm 98% sure I'm going to purchase a pair of Pioneer CDJ-1000MK3 CD/MP3 players and a Pioneer DJM-800 mixer. A couple of questions, one design related, the other technical (since I'm still a newbie lol):

Design: The Pioneer DJM-800 is a 4 channel mixer, I know I'll use the MK3s as CD players on channels 1 & 2, but will I be able to connect my laptop to the mixer and use channels 3 & 4 of the mixer to play my VirtualDJ library of MP3 music, mixing/scratching the songs using the MK3s? I envision going from a CD playing on channel one, to mixing in an MP3 track on channel 4, (controlling it with the 2nd MK3) then mixing in another MP3 track on channel 3, (controlling it with the 1st MK3) then mixing in a CD on channel 2. Is this doable? I've seen a DJ in a club recently using a pair of Pioneer CD players, a laptop, AND a pair of Technics 1200 turntables. So I'm assuming his mixer was at least a 6 channel unit? Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. lol

On a technical note: I was reading a Pioneer forum this afternoon and I ran across a topic that questioned whether VirtualDJ was compatible with the DJM-800/1000 mixers, and the answer received from VirtualDJ was "with the VirtualDJ MIDI Configuration Utility only the Pioneer crossfader could be assigned to the VirtualDJ crossfader, but no other functions can be assigned", according to Pioneer Tech Supports' answer to the users question. Is this still the case? And if so, will there ever be full MIDI configuration for the Pioneer high-end mixers? (I've gotten a good tip to order my mixer with rotary volume knobs instead of sliders and then I can MIDI assign one of the knobs to scroll through the VirtualDJ playlists to quickly find a song.) But this would be a moot point if I can't assign any functionality to the individual mixer knobs.

Thanks!

Posté Mon 10 Nov 08 @ 8:32 pm
Wow ! Not one of the VDJ moderators or Pro users responded to my question. Thanks for that! Well, I figured out the design issue, doing some online research (which I needed to do for my knowledge base anyways), I need to have the timecoded CDs in the decks to control the MP3 files, so it will still be a channel 1 & 2 setup whether I use individual music CDs or the mp3 files.

ALso, I've gotten a very quick response on the Serato SSL forum as far as my Pioneer questions (their software is compatible with the Pioneer high-end decks and mixers as far as full functionality midi assignments), so it looks like I will be going with the SSL solution since I am making my purchases this week and I've gotten no input from the VirtualDJ community on whether Pioneer midi control functionality is or will ever be available using VDJ.

Enough sour grapes... I'm not totally leaving the VDJ family, though. I'll still definitely be using VDJ and my Hercules RMX for home practicing and house parties that I don't need to carry a ton of equipment to. :- )

Posté Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 3:30 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hi
If you wanna do real scratching, none of these cd players will be good for that. You should consider using Timecode vinyls and turntables. If you want occasional scratch, you can look Pioneer CDJ 400 or Numark iCDX. That mixer is good, and all you need is the good sound card and you are ready to go.

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 1:57 pm
DJ Alf,

Thanks for responding. In reading the forums, and seeing the pics of various setups, I've noticed that most have a pair of turntables. I'll be working on beatmatching and blending together mixes for the immediate future, so the CD players are good for now, but when I move up to the 'intermediate' stage, lol , I'll definitely invest in a pair of Technics 1200s, use the vinyl timecodes, and work on adding scratching to my skillset. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Posté Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 5:57 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

Posté Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 8:03 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)