Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Sujet MASKING Help???

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi All,

This forum is of great interest to me.... I am taking on the challenge of creating my own very first skin. I just about am finished all the bitmapping part. I am doing all the graphics work in Adobe Illustrator CS4. I have been fooling around with premade xml files of already done skins to read, locate, and understand/grasp particular xml functions, statements within the xml file that corresponds to that particular bitmap file.

Step by step I am grasping stuff as i go. But, there is also stuff I do not understand. One big mystery to me is MASKING and how it works to portray animation. If someone has the time to give me a step by step example of how it works both visually and along with coordination within the xml file... the help would greatly be appreciated!!! Also, which is better to use, STEP BY STEP ANIMATION, or an ANIMATED MASK? Which one preduces a smaller file size, demands less memory useage? I am very lost when it comes to masking. Once I grasp how it works, i then can continue on with my skin and further understand it. I really respect all the current VDJ skinners out there. I am finding it to be both fun and also challanging!!! Your help will GREATLY be APPRECIATED!!!!

Thank you sincerely,

Aaron (DJ Visions)

Posté Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 11:27 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mask (black and white picture) in the part of the skin defines which parts
from the animation or button will be overlayed on a static image. If you
check out my skin OldSchool, you'll see the animation of turntable needle
is made with mask, that limits the area where animation ocours (only
where needle can be positioned). Than there are several pictures of
needle that are faded through one another durring the progression
of time in track, and are displayed on the white (I think) area of the
mask. (I always forget whether the white or black is the visible one).

Posté Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 6:38 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Black is visible.

White is transparent ;-)

Posté Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 6:57 am
JeremK wrote :
Black is visible.

White is transparent ;-)

DAMN! :P

Posté Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 2:40 pm
Thanks for the info erxon and JeremK!! Tho I'm still unclear as to how it works... does the xml dictate the order of the animation and the mask? Does the xml file set the white to transparent. I need to see a working example, where in the xml file is it using the mask and controlling it. it somehow you could show me a working mask and an example of the actual xml syntax/code controlling it, that would really help me out.... I'll still look at your example tho.....

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 12:16 am
Thank you sooo much!!! now i completely understand it!!!

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 1:59 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Very interesting erxon

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 2:27 pm
jimmy b wrote :
Very interesting erxon

Had to get it out of the system... ;)

VisionsIC: np, glad I coud help.

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 4:33 pm
Do u have to use a mask if u are just using an "over state" graphic of a button?

Posté Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 11:52 pm
sorry to bother you again..... also, is it possible to make the usual horizontal scrolling waveform, scroll vertical? (similar to how Serato Scratch Live does it) And, if so, can it be singlar...meaning not both decks representations of their waveforms together, say just the vertical scroll of the A deck and still function with the nudge effects?

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 12:30 am

Thanks for the info JeremK!! I'm just using simple "over state" and "down state" for each button. The skin is rather plain focusing on performance and function for use with a touchscreen DJ setup, rather than flash, bells, and whistles. Big buttons for fingertip control. Minimal fader usage. If anyone has an idea on this question i posed in quotes below...I greatly appreciate the input....

VisionsIC wrote :
is it possible to make the usual horizontal scrolling waveform, scroll vertical? (similar to how Serato Scratch Live does it) And, if so, can it be singlar...meaning not both decks representations of their waveforms together, say just the vertical scroll of the A deck and still function with the nudge effects?

Thank you......

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 4:10 am
oh JeremK, sorry, I noticed you answered that question for me ty!!!!

Posté Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 4:15 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)