Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Sujet Harmonic keys issue?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

OK this is confusing me. I am trying to learn a little about mixed in key and the Camelot wheel. But All my tracks in VDJ 8 show as ??A No ??B's? I know in VDJ7 I used to see 11B etc.

Any idea's?

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:43 pm
set key detection to "Broad Range"

you will get both.

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:45 pm
in settings/options search for Key, then go to key detection and change it to electronic. also make sure in the browser you have Harmonic on view, actually it is Harmonic you want as that shows all the camelot style keys (sorry bit long winded)

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:48 pm
wickedmix wrote :
set key detection to "Broad Range"

you will get both.

hmm two different answers, either were both right or I didn't understand the question.......(goes to check.....),,,oops, @wickedmix is correct (oh the shame)

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:51 pm
Neither works. All I see are A's.

Also the key in tags does not conform to the Camelot wheel.

For instance 2A in VDJ says D#m but the Camelot wheel says 2A is E-Flat minor. I know they are the same key but it's bloody annoying when VDJ tells me something different to the key wheel. In musical notation from Googling around it says they don't use it that way?

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-E-flat-minor-almost-never-written-as-D-sharp-minor-And-what-is-the-approximate-ratio-of-G-flat-major-F-sharp-major

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 2:57 pm
probably better supply some track name you think are wrong because i see plenty of B's in my collection :-)

that way someone from Atomix can check it out for you.

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 3:34 pm
I would if I knew what a B key was meant inside VDJ. Since all show A's I don't know which one's should be B's.

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 3:46 pm
OK what the hell is going on with VDJ8? I have a track here in the key of 'D'. But when I put it as 'D' in VDJ's tag editor and write it the field immediately changes it to 'Dm' 07A. 'D' should be '10B' as shown in the Camelot wheel and Keyfinder (setting it as custom key tag fields).

Can anyone please explain?

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 4:17 pm
OK I figured out what is happening and I think it's a bug so I am going to report it in the bug forum.

Basically if you set options to 'UseKeyFromTag' to 'Yes' it sets all keys to a harmonic of ??A and discards keys such as 'D' and forces them to 'Dm'. If I then set it back to 'No' the ??B's come back. I can only force something like 'D' and write it to tags as 'D' when 'UseKeyFromTag' is set to 'No'. Otherwise it just writes it as 'Dm'.

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 4:51 pm
truth is i am not sure if VDJ uses Camelot system or not...

they may be using their own system?

maybe someone who knows can comment on that.

Posté Sat 30 Apr 16 @ 7:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use both camelot notation or regular key notation.
I just tried to enable getKeyFromTag, open the tag editor on an mp3, write 'D' in the key field and press Write Tag, and it correctly showed that the tag now contains 'D'.
Closing and re-opening the tag editor and the key was still 'D', not 'Dm'

Edit: To see both minor and major keys, the key detection range indeed has to be set to 'Broad Range', not 'Electronic'

Posté Sun 01 May 16 @ 4:09 am
It's really annoying when programs like Keyfinder put in B-Flat minor yet VDJ insists on calling it A-Sharp minor. It's just not good music convention and the devs should follow everyone else in this respect. But yeah. Setting to broad range gives me both back now.

Posté Sun 01 May 16 @ 4:32 am
So electronic music only has minor keys? Who made that decision?

Music is in whatever key the writer/artist/producer decides. It's not based on genre or style.

Posté Sun 01 May 16 @ 7:51 am
I don't get it at all. Can someone from Atomix explain please.

Posté Sun 01 May 16 @ 10:46 am
On another note. When are Atomix going to get better key detection? VDJ8.1 comes pretty low down the list of key detection software. Serato now has around 70% accuracy. Keyfinder does a better job than VDJ at around 65%. DJTechTools tested various key detection software including VDJ8 and put it at around 43% which is a bit pants. I have started using Keyfinder and then batch tag loading in VDJ and get a FAR better mixed in key than using what VDJ thinks the keys are.

Posté Sun 15 May 16 @ 7:15 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)