Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet LE version features and limitations

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi folks,

I work in a DJ shop, and we sell a couple of controllers that are bundled with an LE version of VDJ. As a paid-up pro user myself, I am aware of what the full version is capable of, and we recommend that customers upgrade to the full version if their budget allows. However, if they are just dipping a toe in the water so to speak, and are looking to "make do" with the LE version that comes with the controller, then their first question to me is "what's the difference? What can't I do with the LE version?" And frankly, I'm not too sure, the feature set has varied from time to time, and from controller to controller. The only way to be sure is to install it, and try it out, at which point it's knackered the software if the customer decides it's not for him, and we try to sell it to someone else!

We sold a VMS5 not so long ago, which swiftly came back to us when the customer realised that the browser search appeared to be missing from the LE version. Now I get that the LE is a stripped down version, but surely the ability to search for songs is vital for any kind of DJ software, no matter how basic? What I'm asking is, is there a definitive list available that tells potential users what the LE version can & can't do for a given controller? Can't find a mention in the American Audio documentation, or on VDJ's side either.

Posté Fri 02 Jun 17 @ 3:09 pm

Posté Fri 02 Jun 17 @ 3:22 pm
The search limitation in V8 is a step too far. This has been discussed on the forum previously.

I'm all for free versions being restricted in one way or another but removing search makes the LE version totally useless in my opinion.

It really depends which version of LE is bundled, and there are many different versions of it. I think it's only V8 that has the search limitation and the older ones are OK.

Posté Fri 02 Jun 17 @ 4:16 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Agreed. Losing the ability to search (as well as the automix) really are a step too far. It's a hard sell to get a customer to spend £300 on a controller, then have to shell out another £235 on top of that (or pay £15 a month to hire it) just so he can find the tracks on his computer! The bottom line is that most of our customers are not skilled mixing and scratching types, they just want to be able to find, cue and play tracks - bedroom jocks and mobile discos. No wonder there's so many mobile DJs out there just running the Home version via their laptop's headphone socket!

I totally get that Atomix have to make a profit here, and that LE versions are a bit of a teaser or stepping stone to persuade users to upgrade to a better experience, but crippling the LE version to this extent just puts people off altogether. I love VDJ, I've used it for years, don't get me wrong. As a salesperson in a DJ shop though, it's a tough sell compared to other controller/software packages that are at least functional "out of the box".

Posté Mon 19 Jun 17 @ 11:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I disagree. The LE is for home use only. And for home use, you can use your explorer or finder or whatever to find songs and drag&drop them to the deck.

To play a playlist at home you can use spotify, youtube or winamp, vlc... and some of them are even able to fade to the next song.

By removing these two features chances are high that a LE user won't take his LE + controller to a public gig (which is against the EULA as you know).

If the user really enjoys djing and wants to step his game up I'm sure he will spend some money for his hobby.
Every hobby costs money and most of the times you just have to spend some hundred bucks to get started.

Sounds good to me. Let's not forget that this is a business. The whole idea of a free version, is to get you to spend money to get more. Development and payroll cost money. The more features that are free, reduces the chances that they will spend to get more. We know of plenty of DJ's using the LE or crack versions to make money. You want to be a DJ, it cost money. As stated it is not a lot of money compared to other hobbies, or professions. Let's stop this expectation that life is free. You want a sunroof? That's extra. How about a Harmon Kardon 20 speaker sound system? Yeah, that will cost you extra.

This is not food, no one will die if they don't have search function. It will only cost you a little more, to realize your dream, and the company is here to help you with discounts and support. I have sold full versions of this software directly to DJ's, and if you are honest with them, they will buy it. I never bash our competitors, I actually start out by saying that they are great at what they do. I then explain all of the features that this software provides. I believe in the software so it is very easy for me to be honest with them.

Posté Tue 20 Jun 17 @ 8:16 am
And don't forget the costs for updates and upgrades, if you use another program... So in this relation I would say VDJ is the better one.

Posté Tue 20 Jun 17 @ 11:31 am
sudjaiHome userMember since 2017

Thanks for the good information. It is very helpful to me.

Posté Tue 04 Jul 17 @ 2:56 am
(tried to post before, but something messed up - sorry if this is a double reply!)

I have a PartyMix, which came with an LE version of VDJ. There were a couple of things I wish I knew before buying the device. The number one thing is, the LE version of Virtual DJ has a time limit. That means after you buy it and install it, you only have a certain amount of days you can use it before you're prompted to buy a license for VDJ. Without buying a license of some kind, you CANNOT use the controller at all.

All of the packaging info makes it seem like it's an unlimited trial, but it's not. I thought I was saving a little $$ on buying a controller that came with software, but that wasn't the case. Definitely something your customers should be aware of.

As for what VDJ LE includes... I'm very, VERY new and had been playing with the free home version for a bit before buying a controller. After downloading the LE version, I didn't find it any different than the home use version I had before. Since updating to a license, I honestly don't see any difference between the LE and the full version, except for what I'm allowed to do in terms of live performance (hook up an external mixer/line in/etc. - again, things I don't really need so haven't had to deal with, though I know if you buy a device-specific license, you will need to buy a few other licences to connect to other equipment and it probably adds up fast). The LE version did have a search feature AND an automix feature, both of which functioned fully. So, I suppose it's an "unlimited trial" in the sense that all of the features are there from the beginning. Again, this is my experience with the PartyMix - other devices might be different.

I'm sure there are other things a license has unlocked, but like I said, I'm extremely new and am only using it to mix music. I use limited effects etc. and haven't explored the video/karaoke/device mapping etc. capabilities because I'm nowhere near needing them - there might be some big differences here.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Also want to add that if your customers are newbies and trying to find a software that works for them, I HIGHLY rec VDJ. there's so much info online to help you out, plus the forum folks and technical support are excellent - you will get the answers you need. It can be intimidating, but there is always someone here to help.

Posté Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 4:51 pm
djbabypastrami wrote :
the LE version of Virtual DJ has a time limit

No it doesn't. LE versions are provided with controllers to work with that one specific controller without any time limit.

The time limit (of 10 mins) only comes into play if you try to use VDJ with something you don't have a license for - such as an external mixer or a different controller.

Some LE versions may also offer a trial period (X number of days) for you to try out the full version, after which they revert to the LE version.

There is no time limit on using an LE version with the controller it came with.

Posté Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 5:06 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The first 30 days you get a VDJ Pro trial.
After that you can switch to LE mode, and in this mode you can continue to use for as long as you want. but with the limitations of the LE version.

Posté Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 5:07 pm
I see... the way I understood it was I had the LE version as the trial, and to continue using the controller with VDJ, one would need to purchase a license. I didn't think I had misunderstood, as it was a pretty straightforward pop-up message. Either way, it was not clear to me that I was using a limited time Full Version at the beginning, and not clear to me that I could continue using the program in some capacity with the controller after that point. Thanks for clarifying!

Posté Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 8:43 pm
i had spend nearly £1000.00 in a pioneer XDJ-R1 and now they want us to pay in top for the software too? how a big company like pioneer can rip off his costumers pretending to pay more money in top for a full version of VDJ as the LE one isn't good enough to be playing in a controller with so many options. come on PIONEER, dont be greedy and sort out the proper software with the controllers treat your costumers in a fair way and be generous. No really impress with pioneer.

Posté Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 12:44 pm
miketatt2est2 wrote :
i had spend nearly £1000.00 in a pioneer XDJ-R1 and now they want us to pay in top for the software too? how a big company like pioneer can rip off his costumers pretending to pay more money in top for a full version of VDJ as the LE one isn't good enough to be playing in a controller with so many options. come on PIONEER, dont be greedy and sort out the proper software with the controllers treat your costumers in a fair way and be generous. No really impress with pioneer.

Actually I think you may have gotten an old box, because I believe the XDJ-R1 should ship with Rekordbox DJ these days...

But yes, Pioneer should have chosen (to pay for) including the full version of VDJ in the box like they did with the DDJ-SZ

Posté Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 12:53 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)