Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Problems in video with MKV format
camplgPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I am having problems with some videos in MKV format because virtual only plays the audio, and changes the video icon in the virtual search engine for the audio one, and when I re-analyze the file it replaces the video icon, but when loading it on a deck passes it back to audio and does not play the video, now that same video file when played on any media player works correctly.

Regards.......

Posté Sat 09 Nov 19 @ 2:12 pm
MKV is just a container format and unfortunately doesn't say anything about what codes are used to encode the video.

If you have VLC (VideoLAN) hit CTRL + J to see what actual codecs are used, or, if you don't have VLC you can use "ffmpeg -i video.mkv" (or ffprobe video.mkv) to print out in a command line what codecs are used.

The MKV file probably contains a codec that is not supported by VDJ and needs to be reencoded. But first, please post the codec information here.

Posté Sun 10 Nov 19 @ 12:03 am

Posté Sun 10 Nov 19 @ 2:09 am
camplgPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PeteVanPolaris wrote :

The MKV file probably contains a codec that is not supported by VDJ and needs to be reencoded. But first, please post the codec information here.

Codec: AOMedia's AV1 Video (av01)

Posté Sun 10 Nov 19 @ 2:50 pm

Posté Sun 10 Nov 19 @ 3:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
AV1 will be supported in the next update, although since there are no hardware decoders for it yet it will require a very fast cpu

Posté Sun 10 Nov 19 @ 3:29 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hello. Any idea which update will be supporting AV1? This codec is very common nowadays. I did also look at the linked thread above, but that one only says that it is not yet supported as of 20 months ago. This thread says next update, but either that didn't happen yet, or support for that codec broke with an interim update.
I can just go re-encode everything that is in AV1 format, but I would prefer not to if not necessary.
Thanks,
-Frd

Posté Sat 10 Jul 21 @ 4:33 pm
Has been supported for a long time now

Posté Sat 10 Jul 21 @ 4:46 pm
Thanks for confirming that support was added for AV1. I believe I am running the latest update but when I try to play some videos, I get just solid green for the video. All of these are AV1 format and play fine in Windows Media Player. . Audio works fine. I noticed some other weird things since updating too, mostly involving my controller (Ns7iii). Maybe I’ll wait til next update and see if that fixes these.

Posté Mon 12 Jul 21 @ 3:57 am
Can you check the tag editor for the detailed info on this video?
Also check safeVideoDecode option. It should be off but you could try if turning it on makes a difference.
If you want feel free to send me one of the files too so I can have a look

Posté Mon 12 Jul 21 @ 4:54 am
Adion,

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I enabled the safe video decode option and it worked!
Bonus: by searching for that option, I stumbled on the Ultra Latency option that seems like it may have been responsible for some crackling I sometimes get at the beginning of songs. That is actually bigger than the video thing, because I can generally use visuals to hide a bad video, but what we do is all about sound first! I had been starting to think my NS7iii was going bad.
I may open a new thread with details of my crackling issue and solution so that I can make it more easily findable for others who may have similar issues. I did searches in the past and didn't find that in the forums, and I consider myself relatively logical and thorough (SW Engineer during my 9-5 job) so there may be others with that issue that didn't stumble upon the right search terms to find a solution.
I'll let you know how it goes after tonight's gig; if the latency affects scratching I can always toggle it back on during that set because that is more about gritty and loud anyway.

Merci beacoup, for the solution and the 17 years I have benefitted from your awesome software!
- Frd

Posté Sun 14 Nov 21 @ 6:07 pm