Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Why is Virtual Dj associated with Napster? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Why is this?
Who uses it? When I'm at a gig I don't usually have internet access. So what's the point?

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 2:45 pm
I use Napster.

For £10 a month i have access to a choice of over 4 million tracks.... Can't argue with that !

Many people have a Gig machine with VDJ (which they've optimised especially for VDJ and normally dont connect to the internet in an effort to ensure there is no exposure to anything which may jepordise system integrity), but these people often also run VDJ on their 'Internet' computer.

You can fool around on your Internet computer with VDJ. It's nice to be playing around with VDJ and think "hang-on what would it sound like if i mixed this track with that tune i heard the other day on the Radio"... tap it into VDJ Global database search box and hey presto, give it a try!

There are also many that don't restrict their gig machine from Internet connection, for those people in some locations, such as hotels etc - they do have wireless hotspots. This can help get you out of trouble when you get song requests which you dont have.

I get requests sometimes, and i think "yeah i'll have that one"... then when i check... "no i don't, how couldn't i have that one??"... even though it is such an obvious one to have!

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 3:18 pm
Still i don't really get it either... I never have internet access on gigs and i doubt many of us have.

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 4:28 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
then dont use it :)
if you ever need it its there

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:15 pm
Also, there are 3G data cards you can use for mobile broadband access. Although i guess reception in alot of venues would be an issue.

But like Skyfxl says, it's an option, it doesn't get in the way or impede in anyway, so no harm done even if you don't find it useful. Personally, although i don't use it heavily, i find it reassuring to know it is there.

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:31 pm
I think the Napster option appeals more to the bedroom DJ, but it's still nice that they thought of it.

Besides, internet access is becoming more and more pervasive, so just hang on to it until society catches up to VDJ...You can disable the view in v5 BTW :)

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 8:26 pm
I have Internet access through a broadband connection on one of my cell phones, and am connected at every gig. I had an Oscar themed birthday party, and needed access to TM Centuries movie themes. I wasn't going to download every theme, so I practiced streaming at the club for two weeks. To make a long story short, It worked like a charm. I have not looked back. I have not had a chance to use Napster, but use Rhapsody. I could not believe I did not have Herb Albert's "Rise" on my machine. No problem, snatched it from Rhapsody while the guy was standing there. Of course I refused his tip, but he would not take no for an answer.

Posté Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 8:57 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A Man and His Music wrote :
Of course I refused his tip, but he would not take no for an answer.

Man you get the boys you get all the boys!

Modified: Congrats on the extra star ;).

Posté Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 12:29 am
Thank you my brother. Just trying to hang with you. Keeping on topic, the only reason I went with Rhapsody, was because of some review I read in a magazine. Does anyone have any good things to say about Napster?

Posté Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 12:34 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Most of the places I play now have public wifi access... it's the future We're already there.

Posté Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 2:06 am
I would like to see napster removed again...they tried to force it on us once before.

Posté Thu 30 Aug 07 @ 3:47 am
peachstonedj wrote :
I would like to see napster removed again...they tried to force it on us once before.

How did they try to force it on you? It is an option for those that have Napster accounts. I don't use Napster or iTunes, and don't have to use it. It really is that simple, don't need it, don't use it. Why would you want to deprive those that do use it?

Posté Thu 30 Aug 07 @ 9:50 am
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
It's pretty obvious in my opinion. It's a way a raising extra revenue for Atomix. If it helps keeps costs down and means development can be ongoing then I am all for it.

Having said that, I never use it.

Posté Thu 30 Aug 07 @ 10:05 am
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I use it all the time. There was one night I needed some 80's music. I had some, but not everything I needed. Clicked on some of the 80's playlists they had listed when I was at home. It took about 5 to 10 seconds to download one song. With in a short time, I had a 100 songs. The other night, someone wanted to hear something I didnt have. The club didnt have internet but was able to pick up a signal from a resturant down the block. Downloaded it, played it 30 seconds later.

Posté Thu 30 Aug 07 @ 11:45 pm

I'm pretty sure VDJ dont get money from Napster to have the option in there.
Its meant as a service for you guys, where you can easily download non DRM music right into VDJ on the fly...

And its easy to remove too, go to BROWSER tab in VDJ, and uncheck the Napster option.

(Works with other sites too btw, as far as I know, such as Yahoo music.. )

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 12:11 am
digimixer wrote :
Also, there are 3G data cards you can use for mobile broadband access. Although i guess reception in alot of venues would be an issue.

But like Skyfxl says, it's an option, it doesn't get in the way or impede in anyway, so no harm done even if you don't find it useful. Personally, although i don't use it heavily, i find it reassuring to know it is there.

I use a 3G card and its great. Really really fast. Its like having DSL speeds wirelessly.

Just beware of using Sierra cards though. Look for a thread I posted about occasional blue screens. They were from the Sierra card judging by the bug report and memory dump. The bluescreens weren't happening all the time... maybe once every month or two (working 3-4 nights a week).

I recently switched to a Pantech card this week. Hopefully that will produce better results because VDJ runs rock solid on my laptop otherwise.

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 1:39 am
wifi is everywhere...its only getting stronger.

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 2:04 am
I use and love Napster. I dont use it live at gigs, but I have in a bind.

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 2:52 am
What does the napster button in the browser really do? I've got an account, made sure my internet was on, logged on, yet nothing happens when I click on it. I thought maybe I had to use the search field, but still nothing happens. What am I missing here?

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 10:12 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

I'm pretty sure VDJ dont get money from Napster to have the option in there.
Its meant as a service for you guys, where you can easily download non DRM music right into VDJ on the fly...

And its easy to remove too, go to BROWSER tab in VDJ, and uncheck the Napster option.

(Works with other sites too btw, as far as I know, such as Yahoo music.. )

It's none of my business, if they receive money from Napster or not. I hope they do. As PFD50 said, if it keeps cost down, all the better. Now there's a guy that shows he's capable of using more then half his brain.

Norway, are you sure their music is DRM free?

Posté Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 10:42 pm
95%