Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Question about equal loudness

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello everybody,

I have a question about different sound volumes between different songs. To explain my question, I first have to present you two songs:

This is a song called 'Death and Destruction', from an artist called 'Kalen'. It comes from a free internet label called 'ignored records'.

And here is a song made by me (a trancey song)

From looking at the pictures and statistics, it's clear that both songs are equally loud, my song is even a bit louder (according to the RMS statistics).

I played the two songs with virtual dj, equally loud (level at maximum, gain at -5 for some headroom for mastering the mix), and when I analyze the minimix, I get this picture.

Although the two songs are equal in loudness, and are played on the same volume, there is a big difference, while playing them in virtual dj. My song sounds very quiet in comparison with Kalen's song.

When I play both songs at the same loudness level in ableton (production software used for making my own song) they sound equally loud. I used a demo from traktor, and with that application, the two songs sound also equally loud. Same for mediamonkey. I only have this problem with virtual dj.

So I have two questions:

1. Can somebody explain the difference in loudness? It only happens with virtual dj, not with ableton, traktor or mediamonkey.
2. What can I do about it? I can disable automatic loudness in the settings, but how can I determine how loud my song has to be played? Do I have to analyze loudness before starting a set? How do you handle different gain settings?

People who think my song is overcompressed; I used only in mastering stage a bit of multiband compression, and I limited it with the maximum peak attentuation at -6 dB, which is perfectly normal nowadays.

Any comment or help is welcome!! I appreciate it!

Greetz,
manducator

Posté Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 2:35 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)