Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet External Hard Drive

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys...hope everyone is well in VDJ land.

A few months ago i had a post about a potentially failing hard drive in my system (although I can't find it now...grrr...where's the 'My Topics' button!!!) and back then i managed to get it sorted. Turns out it was a loose connection and it's been ok since then. However, on saturday i had quite a major function at a local hotel for christmas and the same thing happened. I was reduced to working from cd's...not that there's anything wrong with working from cd's, but i only carry a very tiny selection. Mostly new stuff that i've bought off the net and a couple of party discs, just in case. NEVER enough to complete a full gig with. As you can imagine, i was struggling a bit.

Anyway, i managed to get another system into the venue and the same thing happened to that one as well!!! I don't know what the deal is but basically it's as if the hard drives aren't there. VDJ froze altogether, song information disappeared, no moving graphics on the screen and no control over the screen either. My reckoning is that vibrations on the floor (my system is a desktop system that sits underneath my table) from the speakers and the dancers have knocked my pc's out. One machine uses SATA drives and the other IDE's. The SATA drive machine is my actual gig machine and the IDE machine is my home machine, full of internet crap and games, but like i say, i managed to struggle through.

Anyway, I got to thinking. If vibrations are gonna knock out my drive, i'm gonna need to take some other kind of computer back up with me...and the ideal solution from what i can see is an external hard drive. So, today, i'm planning on getting this bad boy, but i'm just unsure if it's the right thing to do.

My question to you guys is basically for some advice regarding EHD's. I know WD is a good make, so i'm pretty confident the drive will be fine. Size wise 1tb is plenty for what i'm needing. I guess it's really just a bit of a confirmation that USB connections and stuff are ok. I already run a DAC 3 through my gig machine, but that's all. Will another USB connection slow things down, especially if it's a hard drive?

I've not built a machine for a while so am a bit out of touch with the whole computer specs thing these days. Not too clued up on this firewire lark, or even if i'd be able to use it. Will i be able to get buy with this hard drive and a usb 2 connection?

Any advise greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posté Mon 08 Dec 08 @ 5:59 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)