Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Giving VDJ Priority

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello

I couldn't find a post on this topic so I decided to share a trick I use to keep VDJ running while using low latency for my soundcard.

with Windows XP and probably Vista you can set a process to run with a higher priority then normal, causing it to get access to the cpu first. The normal way to set this is to start the process (VDJ) and open task manager then right click to set a higher or lower priority, but you can also make a shortcut to start it with high priority as follows.

Step 1

open your virtual DJ program directory (C:\Program Files\Virtual DJ\) then right click on "Virtual DJ.exe" and goto "create shortcut" now give this shortcut a name like "Virtual DJ (High Priority)" so you can tell the difference between it and the normal.

Step 2

Right click on the new shortcut and goto "properties" then you want to set an icon first, so click "change icon" now you should be able to browse to the VDJ program directory and select the VDJ Icon, click ok when it is slected.

Step 3

Now for the main event ;) you should still be in the properties menu

In the "Target:" box add "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "VDJ" /high" in front of the current text Ex. ("C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ\virtualdj.exe").

Then change the "Start In:" box to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\"
now click OK to save everything.

Step 4

now you want to copy this shortcut to your desktop or start menu.

right click the start menu and choose "Open", now browse to the "Virtual DJ" folder and COPY the newly created shortcut to this folder. and copy the same shortcut to your desktop if needed.

Step 5
Test and see if Virtual DJ starts with high priority, start VDJ from your new shortcut, now right click the taskbar and choose "task manager" when this opens choose the "processes" tab now you may not have it setup to display the prosess priority so you will need to goto "view" then "select columns" now make sure the "Base Priority" box is ticked off and click OK, now find "virtualdj.exe" in the list and look for the priority, it should say "High".

Congratualtions, you have just given VDJ more priority to the cpu. :)

I have noticed it runs smoother and with less latency for myself, I hoped this helps you out.

Thanks Det0 ;)

Posté Thu 15 Jan 09 @ 7:34 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks for sharing, I would advise against using this live before testing at home as some slower computers or non standard configurations can wack out.

Posté Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 3:14 pm
Yes, I know of the risks, this just happens to work good on my paticular laptop. So what I'd say is try it first then if it doesn't work for you then use the old shortcut and continue like you normaly do ;) Also a note is when I am using this I uausally have a my internet borwser open because of VDJ Radio chat etc. So in effect that is why I use it.

Thanks for adding that ;)

Posté Sun 18 Jan 09 @ 7:14 pm
mcdocPRO InfinityMember since 2007
nice tip = hopefully this will keep VDJ from crashing when I alt tab out to download a song and tab back in later :(

Freakin Vista! Anyway, if I could find the 64 bit driver for my Virtual Vynil sound card, I could go back to Vista 64 bit with more Ram : ) )

Posté Sun 18 Jan 09 @ 9:24 pm
mcdoc wrote :
hopefully this will keep VDJ from crashing when I alt tab out to download a song and tab back in later :(

... ... ?

Posté Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 9:32 am
Tried this tip on my Vista test rig and after pasting the new startup command it won't allow it as a message appears and advises that it can not find the target!

Posté Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 2:53 pm
This process is for Win XP Vista would be a bit different with UAC on. let me look into it for you. ;)

Posté Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 2:55 pm
Cheers

Posté Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 3:59 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)