Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Migration to MAC from Windows

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I am heavily considering a migration from Windows to MAC. I bought a brand new Sony VAIO that came with Windows 7 64 bit. I am having issues with lock ups in VDJ and even once with Internet Explorer. I will play anywhere from 1 to 5 songs and the enter screen freeze and all sound cuts out. After rebooting, I can play for 4 or 5 hours without issue... I have worked with VDJ and they feel it is a Windows 7 64 bit issue with performance. I can not go to a 32 bit version because Sony does not make all the drivers for the laptop to fully function. I refuse to buy a $200 full retail version of Windows 7 on the slim that that will resolve it. I have had 1 successfull gig since I bought it in late Nov 2009.

So my reason of coming to the VDJ MAC Forum is to find out... is the grass really greener on the other side? Do you see problem/worry free gigs once you are on a MAC? I mean after all the bugs are worked out? See, I seem to work out all the bugs... but as soon as I show up at my gig... my laptop gets a mind of its own.

Considering going to a MAC BOOK PRO will cost me easily twice that of my Sony Vaio... I want to KNOW there is not going to be any more "after purchases" I am going to have to then go and get to make everything feel all better. I will sell the Sony to someone. It performs very SOLID and has been through all the checks and tests at Best Buy. So I know its hardware is solid.

I am not wanting to turn this into a MAC is better than Windows debate... I just want to know if it is all worth it when it is all said and done. Do you have to ever worry at a gig if issue 1 of 2 will resurface? Do you have to go buy versions of the OS to resolve issues?

Posté Mon 15 Feb 10 @ 9:58 pm
The most typical reason that causes problems and instability on Windows PC is that they often come pre-installed with all kinds of manufacturers bloaty crapware. The best solution is to re-install Windows from normal Windows install-media, NOT from the install discs that came with the laptop.

If you decide to get a Mac instead, I highly recommend it - but only if you do only audio. At the moment Mac-version doesn't have (admins, correct if I'm wrong) hardware acceleration for video. I'm running the newest version (6.0.5) on a latest generation MacBook Pro and I've never had a single problem, crash, glitch with it.

I also highly recommend using a CoreAudio-compatible sound card, which rules out driver problems out of the equation. I'm using Edirol FA-66 (Firewire) myself, and it has performed perfectly.

...oh, and one more thing. Virtual DJ or no Virtual DJ, getting a Mac is probably one of the smartest choices you'll ever make. It's worth every penny, you'll understand why once you've owned and used one for a while - given that you approach it with a right mentality and willingness to do some things a bit differently. Mac OS X is not a pretty super-Windows that never crashes - it's something way better ;)

Posté Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 12:36 pm
I currently run VirtualDJ v6.0.5 Pro (Audio & video) on a Sony VAIO (NS11j/s) laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed and do not experience any problems.

However, it is a clean install from the original retail Microsoft CD, so there is none of the bloatware that came on it originally. It had Vista Home 32-bit before upgrading, which I also did not have any issues with (Despite all the bloatware that was pre-loaded), except for slow start-up/shutdown.

NOTE: Some external hardware such as DJ sound cards and MIDI controllers may not be compatible with Windows 7 and/or 64-bit.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 1:17 pm
I know in my mind that the expense of a $200 non OEM version of Windows 7 is cheaper than the delta of the $1600 MAC Book Pro I would buy if I was to go MAC. VAIO was on sale from best buy for $650 in Nov plus I bought a 500gb SATA 7200 rpm drive for $120. So total cost of ownweship would be nearly $1000. However there isnt a guarantee the full retail version will work either. The reason I feel It is high risk is per the Sony support instructions I removed all of ther bloatware and I still had issues.

No offense to the Atomix guys, but I felt like I had this issue with porting Pro tools from one laptop to another and I always had to go buy !nother something special just to safely run the program (and at times, even be able to Install It!)

I feel Windows open alot of doors and possibilities, but this always having to have extra copies around of different versions of Windows is for the birds! not to th3le end costs of buying Windows twice (once baked into the price of the new laptop and a 2nd to have a bloatware free copy... not to. mention the fact my Sony won't run 32bit So-ce ita hardware drivers are not available!)

Last, can anyone confirm these work with both VDJ and Mac: Numark DJIO, Stealth Control, and DMC2, and Native Instruments Audio4dj. I know I can verify from websites, but saying it and using it are two separate things.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 2:24 pm
I just bought a 17" Macbook Pro and bootcamped it with Windows 7 32bit clean install.

VDJ runs perfect in Windows7 while bootcamped, but running in Snow Leopard has been a bit unstable. I've had a couple of crashes while testing and that doesn't fill me with confidence for using Mac in a gig.

I've only had this laptop for a week and to be honest I'm happier in Windows as I personally don't feel the mac version of VDJ is as well polished or has had the same testing and exposure.

Only time will tell I guess but the beauty of the Macbook Pro is that you can run both Windows and Snow Leopard (or even on top of each other with parallels)

P.S I've always used Vaio's to DJ with since 1999 and they've all been great but you do need a fresh install to get rid of all the Sony crap. The option not to buy a crapware free version is beginning to ruin their reputation to be honest.

Keith

Posté Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 2:35 pm
Hi Kradcliffe, When you were testing the MAC/Snow Leapord with the 6.X Beta or the true new official version? I read alot of posts on MAC users reporting issues with the Beta, but that is what you might expect with a BETA and new version of the OS (just my opinion.) Did you ever work through/look into the issues to find out if it was hardware compatibility related rather than the OS/MAC itself?

Good point that I can run either OS on the MAC hardware and knockmyself out. At least I would be buying a full retail version of the OS to run along side the MAC OS instead of having to buy the same OS that came with my laptop! LOL I can swallow that pill a little easier! :)

Posté Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 6:47 pm
Testing was done with the full version of VDJ for mac downloaded last week.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 3:03 am
Hello djchad72,

I think you should spend more time on your computer to improve its settings come to better results, since I don't believe a Mac computer is technically better than a Windows computer (and for example Mac OS 10.6 64-bit is less mature than Windows 7 64-bit).

I have 2 Mac and 2 Windows computers, and I prefer Mac, but not for technical reasons: I find Mac more user-friendy, and I lost confidence in Microsoft after some Microsoft decisions I found questionnable as
- WHQL = how dare Microsoft run down the work of other software companies in irritating pop up warning messages each time I install or run a software, this pop pup pollution is similar to spams in emails, and this paranoiac propaganda is just based on lies?
- Vista = how could Microsoft not propose a free Windows 7 update for owners of Windows Vista, while Vista will never be patched to become a decent operating system as good as XP?
- Vista again = how could Microsoft forbid to computer manufacturers the right to bundle Windows XP while Vista was so slow that the computer performance was lower with Vista than with XP?

Mac is better than Windows for:
- freedom: no pop up warning messages, Mac OS considers you own your Mac, so there is no propaganda as Windows WHQL pop ups.
- graphic display: MacBook have a nicer display, with nicer animations, and a nicer display of fonts
- cool exclusive features: once you get used to MacBook touchpad, keyboard, and a few software functions, you find Mac cooler
- virus: as Windows is a bigger target for virus developers, there are less virus on Mac.

But Windows is better on other aspects:
- cheaper hardware and software
- much wider offer of compatible software and hardware
- easier access to settings to adjust the performance of the computer.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 4:46 am
I am sorry to report I have treated everything possible on the Sony. The issue is it has Windows 7 64bit pre installed and does not run 32bit (missing drivers.) I have un installed all bloatware so I am not confident buying a retail version of W7 64bit for $200 will resolve my issues. Almost all new laptops come with W7 64bit so I feel like I may ne repeating what I have now. Which Is why I am considering a mac.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 7:41 am
kradcliffe wrote :
VDJ runs perfect in Windows7 while bootcamped, but running in Snow Leopard has been a bit unstable. I've had a couple of crashes while testing and that doesn't fill me with confidence for using Mac in a gig.

Just out of curiosity...what hardware do you have? And are you some additional plug-ins, skins, etc.?

Posté Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 12:04 pm
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :

Just out of curiosity...what hardware do you have? And are you some additional plug-ins, skins, etc.?

Would be great to know if it is any of my before mentioned hardware too!

Posté Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 12:40 pm
I have both a Quadcore Nahalem Mac Pro workstation and a Macbook Pro 17" laptop.

VDJ has crashed on both mac installs but runs flawlessly on windows 7. I'm doing mostly audio with the HC-4500, occasional basic video but I'm not really using plugins or effects much.

Keith

Posté Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 6:52 am
Curious.

I also run VDJ on MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard, but I'm not experiencing any problems or stability issues. My sound card is Edirol FA-66 (Firewire) and I'm using the DMC2 controller. Latency is set to 5ms. What are your latency settings?

Does the HC4500 require to install drivers, or is it CoreAudio compatible like FA-66? In other words, no drivers needed. Maybe the issue is with crappy Denon drivers/firmware not being fully compatible with Snow Leopard.

Posté Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 1:25 pm
Well ..... I'm going for it tonight with VDJ and the HC-4500 on MacOS rather than bootcamped Windows 7.

It's not crashed again in my testing and I think the latency is better on Mac than the windows version as there is no crackle in the background on quiet tracks. MacOS also takes advantage of the full 4gb.

I've modified the fonts in Zanard's X12 skin and it's ready to go in all it's 1920 x 1200 glory. I just converted the filepaths in my Windows database to look for the new location of the music in the Mac partition, copied it over and it seems fine.

Wish me luck :)

Keith

Posté Sat 20 Feb 10 @ 6:09 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
djchad72 wrote :
The issue is it has Windows 7 64bit pre installed and does not run 32bit (missing drivers.)

I think you have been misinformed; that is an extremely unlikely scenario. It's usually the other way around.

Posté Sun 21 Feb 10 @ 3:43 pm
I wish I was buddy. But I. was told by both Sony & Best Buy Geek squad. Sony said they do not have 32biit bit drivers for all the Sony hardware, and Geek Squad said it is a growing issue with so many laptops. Coming with more than 3gb RAM & 64bit. Manufacturers aren't 5along the time to develop for 32bit support.

I am happy to report my early testing on my new Mac book pro 2.53hz, 4gn RAM, 500gb (7200 rpm), NVIDIA 9700 GT, testing has gone excellent! I have not had to adjust anything... all worked right after install.

I decided to install W7 via bootcamp so I would have it just in case I needed office or ran into issue with the OS X setup. I pulled all my data over to my MAC Home directory. I will just use software to back up to my NTFS external to use with Windows and a firewire external for Time Capsule back UPS.

Posté Sun 21 Feb 10 @ 6:12 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'm still confident you're being misinformed. I'd like to know what hardware is available that has x64 windows drivers, but no x86 windows drivers, especially since the drivers you would typically need - chipset and graphics - will be OEM.

I'd bet Windows 7 32-bit would work out of the box with 99% of the hardware working.

That said you've gone to a Mac so it's irrelevant now anyway. Good luck with the new machine :)

Posté Mon 22 Feb 10 @ 6:19 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)