Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Virtual DJ Pro 7 - Terrible Sound Quality

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

jordexPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hello,

Myself and a friend have a regular gig in a local bar/club.
A few days ago we decided to take the plunge and opt for VDJ 7 Pro.
I have to say, i'm seriously disappointed with the sound quality.

The sound suffers from regular glitches, seems to momentarily speed up/down and is very tinny.
I have tried almost everything I can and don't really know where else to go from here.
I'm concerned we are going to lose the gig if we can't sort it out.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

LAPTOP SPECS

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GhZ
4.00gb RAM.
32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm using the Numark DJIO soundcard and have taken the following steps to no improvement in quality.

Have run a latency checker, disabled all non-critical devices including WLAN cards, Internal Sound cards, Webcam Driver, Fingerprint Scanner Driver etc and have managed to get the latency down to mainly green with the odd yellow spike. Disabled anti-virus, disabled non-critical system processes, fully defragged drive, set VDJ sound options to AUTO, have also tried with every level of selectable latency (ms), have also tried safe mode within VDJ. In short, it seems like latency isn't the problem. My computer is evidently beyond what should be required aswell, so I cannot see this being the problem.

The laptop is fully virus/spyware/malware free and runs brilliantly with any other audio player / video player without stuttering, dropouts or a tinny sound. During the gig, I have monitored the temp of the CPU/GPU ect and they are all at an acceptable level.

I tried playing through both the DJIO and the laptop sound card and both were just as terrible sounding. I'm pretty concerned that I might just have spent my hard-earned cash on a low quality product! Does anyone have any ideas as to a solution!?

Thanks,

Jord

Posté Sat 06 Nov 10 @ 6:58 am
Sounds like you need to tweak your latency settings. They might be set to high and you comp cant keep up.

Just my thoughts
Huey

Posté Sat 06 Nov 10 @ 7:06 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It's definitely a problem with your setup I'm afraid; the sound quality from VDJ is fine. RTA tools show that the un EQ'd sound output from VDJ6 is on a par with Traktor all things being equal. There have been plenty of comments that VDJ7 sound is even better.

Machine specifications don't tell everything about a system unfortunately - the real critical stuff is in the drivers and the BIOS and this can have a bigger impact on real time audio than your CPU and memory specs.

If you're suffering with stuttering then it's 99% a latency problem. The fact that you are still getting yellow spikes shows that you do have a DPC issue somewhere and this will affect low latency audio. Personally my aim with a system is to not just get into the green, but to get as low in the green as possible. My gig machine spikes a bit too - to but only to 100uS or so!

DPCs are used to fill the audio buffer on a soundcard amongst other things. It's not normally as issue for most programs because audio latency isn't critical so they can use a large buffer. With DJ'ing it is, so DJ applications run as low an audio latency as possible. On Windows this makes them reliant on efficient DPC processing. If a DPC takes too long then the soundcard buffer runs out and you get an audible glitch.

Posté Sat 06 Nov 10 @ 8:58 am

Posté Sat 06 Nov 10 @ 2:12 pm
jordexPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hello Guys,

I appreciate all the support but there really isn\'t too much stuttering, it is more the quality of the tracks.
Tracks which should otherwise be very high quality (320kbps) tracks.
I wondering whether or not it might be something to do with the set-up within.

The setup below seems to be the only way to get ANY sound out of virtual DJ using my sound card, albeit poor.

The VDJ latency is on AUTO and I have tried changing the ASIO latency to ever single possible, selectable latency.
All un-required drivers are disabled and all required drivers are fully up to date. It is frustrating as I have used the Hercules Steel version
of VDJ, with this sound card absolutely fine on plenty of occasions.

It seems like it should be on SINGLE OUTPUT and then ASIO DRIVER, NUMARK DJIO but the single output setting doesn't result in any sound. So frustrating.

Jord

Posté Sun 07 Nov 10 @ 6:32 am
I agree. The sound quality output of Virtual DJ is lame. I thought the problem was my new sound board I got a the same time. Nope. I did sound for an event using my old software and the bass was beefy and full like it used to be and wasn't tinny. I tested the same song with my old software (Megaseg 4.5.1) and VirtualDJ Pro Basic 7.0.4 and indeed VirtualDj has a poorer quality sound output. The fullness of sound and bass tones that make the crowd feel the music and the energy were weak, and I had the treble and mids all the way down on my mixer board and they were still too strong. Those highs fatigue people's ears. I feel like my crowd is working too hard to be into the music they used to rage to. This along with a load of other bugs in Virtual DJ that make me have to focus energy on compensating for the software instead of picking and playing the best music.

Posté Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 11:06 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Don't use the internal EQ and you won't have issues. IMHO the VDJ EQ is not very good at all. The un-EQ'd output from VirtualDJ is nearly identical to that from Traktor - if I have to use the internal mixer I use a VST instead.

Must admit I'd be interested to hear these other bugs you have that affect your workflow so much.

Posté Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 3:52 pm
kendo79PRO InfinityMember since 2010
How do you use that or get to it

Posté Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 10:55 pm

Posté Fri 29 Jul 11 @ 7:04 am
AkeelHHome userMember since 2014
Check your mp3 files are at least 320kbps, or for best quality you can use wav files. If you're using iTunes select 'bit rate' in 'show viewing options' within 'view' and a bar will appear next to all your tracks with its size. You'll also need to change your import bit rate setting to 320kbps. Although I have noticed that virtual DJ determines the volume incorrectly while uploading certain tracks. Due to the many different types and styles a track is mastered, the bass, mid and treble levels can fluctuate in many different ways from one song to the next. So if the bass level is mastered high in certain parts of a song virtual DJ reduces the levels on the rest of track in order for those heavy bass parts to be the volume it considers to be correct.

Posté Wed 21 May 14 @ 5:59 pm
This thread is 3 years old.

Please open a new thread if you are having issues.

[CLOSED]

Posté Wed 21 May 14 @ 6:03 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)