Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Problems keeping tempo sync in rewire mode. - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I have Virtual DJ rewired together with Reason, I have reason coming in as a line in per all the instructions and it works great, except for one problem. Unless i keep hitting the sync button ever couple of seconds, the track that i am syncing with the audio coming in from reason will become gradually unsynced, as if one is slower then the other even though they are at the same bpm. I have the incoming audio from reason as master tempo and i sync to that. Perhaps there is something i have to check or un check. please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks so much.

Posté Wed 13 Jun 12 @ 10:09 pm
It sounds from your description as if you have it set up backwards.

When VDJ is Rewired to another app, VDJ is the master.

The tempo is sent to the slave (in your case this should be Reason) and is determined from the CBG (beat grid) of the track playing in VDJ.

If the CBG is not lined up well on that track, then the slave app will sound 'out' because it's synced to a grid that's out of wack.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 4:17 am
Doesn't matter if the grid is right, it'll still fall out of sync. This has been happening since day 1. I too use Reason....

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 8:12 am
Yes, I have virtual DJ set as the master ad reason is the slave. What I meant was, I would set the tempo of the audio coming into VDJ from reason in VDJ, then, Highlight that tempo as the master, that way when I DJ other tracks and Beat sync them, they would sync to whatever tempo i had set the reason track to. This seems like a serious flaw in functionality. I was very excited when i found out i could do this, only to get severely annoyed at the idea that the sync does not stay.

Does anyone know of a way to get it to work? Or even a way around it? Perhaps a latency issue or something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 11:25 am
Also, In the 4 deck skin that I am using, There are no CBG Squares under the tracks as they play, so i cant even visually see if its properly synced or not. My only indication is when the bass hits stop matching up. I am using the VDJ 4 deck skin (1440X1200)

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 11:27 am
Same way I use it and the same problem I had. There's no grid because VDJ is processing it all on the fly at least that's my understanding. I've just mapped pitch bend button's and ride the pitch till things sync back up. Its the best way I could come up with.

Sorry I can't be more help
Huey

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 11:53 am
badboynyc6321 wrote :
they would sync to whatever tempo i had set the reason track to

That's not the way it works. Reason syncs to VDJ, not the other way around.

badboynyc6321 wrote :

Perhaps a latency issue or something?

Possibly. You've not said what sound card you're using.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 12:52 pm
Yes. Reason Is synced to VDJ. I understood that, and that is the way it is set up. I used my computers internal sound card. I have an hp g72. I have a Hercules rmx, Ill try using it with that instead later to see if it corrects the issue.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 1:23 pm
i don't mind hitting the sync button every now and again to get it to sync back up, but it happens so quickly that i have to keep a constant eye on it and it distracts me from doing other things.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 1:25 pm
One other thing I have noticed. BPM in VDJ is displayed like this "128.00" where as in reason it would be displayed like this"128.000" . Could the addition of the extra zero (or whatever number it becomes) effect the sync and cause the two programs to become gradually unsynced? If so, what could be a way around that?

Regards,
Mike

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 1:31 pm
@Groovin, he has Reason as the slave which is how VDJ works cause it can't be the slave. But when you run Reason into say deck 3, you can make deck 3 the master deck which all other decks should follow but for some reason VDJ WILL NOT STAY IN SYNC. He has everything setup correctly so unless you tried it quit saying he's doing it wrong...........

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 2:22 pm
@beatbraker Thanks for the support. That's actually exactly how I have it set up, right into deck deck 3. Lolz. Its just a real shame that it will not stay in sync. This kind of functionality is awesome, especially for a live show. I was going to try to run Albeton live through it the same way, but if that will also not stay synced, I don't see the point anymore.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 3:34 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
you can make deck 3 the master deck which all other decks should follow

Why is that even possible?

How can VDJ follow Reason when Reason is the slave?

It shouldn't be possible to set the Reason input as a master deck. And even if it is possible due to some quirk that Atomix have overlooked, you shouldn't even be trying to do that as it's obvious that it won't work.

beatbreaker1 wrote :
quit saying he's doing it wrong...........

At no point have I said "you're doing it wrong".

I said it sounds like he is. He keeps talking about syncing VDJ to Reason.

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 3:46 pm
OK I'll give you that but from my own experience I believe he's talking about the decks (master deck) and not trying to use VDJ as a slave. Either way things won't stay in sync like if you were using Traktor and Ableton together cause there you just match up the MIDI clocks and your good to go. And why is it some weird quirk?

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 3:59 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
why is it some weird quirk?

I can see you're not getting this, so I'll try and get it across again. :-)

The ReWire communication works in one direction. There's a master and a slave. The master is in charge, and all tempo info is sent from the master to the slave. The master can't sync to the slave.

So bearing that in mind, why is it possible (so you say) to set the VDJ 'deck' that's inputting the Reason audio to be a master?

The Reason audio is not sending any sync info to VDJ, so how is another VDJ deck supposed to follow the deck with the Reason input?

VDJ is in charge. It's only VDJ that's sending out sync info to Reason. Reason follows that sync. Youi can't then sync another deck in VDJ to that Reason signal.

Trying to sync a deck in VDJ to Reason (or the Reason audio signal) isn't going to work, as that would be slave-to-master.

How'd I do?

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 4:46 pm
OK, I\'m not sure witch one of us is on the wrong page. let me try to clarify, because this is only more confusing now. YES. Virtual DJ is the master. Reason is the slave. When i rewire reason to Virtual DJ, I set the tempo of the reason track IN VIRTUAL DJ using the tempo slider. This sets the tempo in reason, because it is the slave. NOW that i have done that, I select deck three, witch is the deck the reason is coming through as master tempo in VIRTUAL DJ. That way, when i hit the Sync or Beat-match button on deck one or deck two, it will make its tempo the same as that on deck three. that is all the master tempo is used for. to define what tempo beat matching will be set at (at least in this application) i highlighted a pic below to show exactly what i mean.

Also, something you said is not true, If i change the BPM in reason, it will update the BPM on deck three in VDJ, witch means Reason has to be sending data back to virtual DJ. I don\'t know how that is possible though, just thought it was worth mentioning.

@beatbraker, Doesn\'t virtual DJ support midi clock or time code? If so, can i not sync it to reason that way to keep things in sync?

Regards.
Mike

Posté Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 6:59 pm
That is exactly what I tried to tell Groovin but he cant seem to get it, like I said I dont think hes tried it with VDJ...............anyways Yes you can use timecodes with VDJ but not with the rewired deck. As for the MIDI clock, they say its supposed to work but I have yet to figure it out or see it working so hopefully in the next release that to will be addressed. Only thing I can offer is to map some "Pitch Bend" buttons for whatever deck your using as your rewire deck and ride the pitch. It sucks and yes sometimes its a pain in the butt .........

Sorry I couldnt be more help
Huey

Posté Fri 15 Jun 12 @ 12:24 am
badboynyc6321 wrote :
I select deck three.....as master tempo in VIRTUAL DJ. That way, when i hit the Sync or Beat-match button on deck one or deck two, it will make its tempo the same as that on deck three.

Well that's the issue here. If VDJ is the master, sending out a clock signal to Reason, then it can't also sync its tempo to Reason by selecting deck 3 as master and trying to sync another deck to it (because that's slave-to-master).

You're creating a loop like that. VDJ->Reason->VDJ.

By selecting LineIn on deck 3, it's actually not even a deck any more. It's an input channel on the VDJ mixer, so it can't be a master.

badboynyc6321 wrote :
If i change the BPM in reason, it will update the BPM on deck three in VDJ, witch means Reason has to be sending data back to virtual DJ

Again, you shouldn't changing the tempo in Reason (or be able to) because it's the slave - it's getting the tempo from VDJ.

If VDJ updates the tempo on the deck 3 display, all it's doing is listening to the incoming audio signal and working out a BPM.

Try using a mic into deck 3 and beatboxing into it. It will probably do the same thing. Is your mouth sending data? No!

beatbreaker1 wrote :
he cant seem to get it

There's only one of us that's not getting it........and it's not me! :-)

FYI I have experience with master/slaving all sorts of software with ReWire. I use Reason, Ableton Live Suite, Sony Acid Pro, Cubase 6.5 etc. so I know how it works.

Posté Fri 15 Jun 12 @ 9:35 am
Nevermind I'm wasting my breath on you anymore cause your wrong..........

Posté Fri 15 Jun 12 @ 9:46 am
Then please enlighten me on exactly what I've said that's incorrect.

I'm always willing to learn.

Why do you think that a VDJ deck should be able to sync to the audio coming from Reason?

Posté Fri 15 Jun 12 @ 11:46 am
53%