Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet beat juggling - mute on rewind option

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Scratching records is a form of turntablism, which is the manipulation of the turntable and mixer in a "free-form" manner. A turntablist not only scratches, but may also use the crossfader or upfader to add or subtract beats (i.e., beat juggling) and to transform. "Battle DJ's" are the best example of turntablists. Often playing hip hop (it makes little sense for a trance DJ to be a turntablist), these DJ's have turned the turntable into an instrument. In fact, the name "hip hop" originated from describing DJ's that "hop" back and fourth between turntables in a "hip" way.

Keeping that in mind, for those DJ's that do not have a real mixer, what about adding a feature that will cut the sound out when you are rewinding the scratch (emulating the cross fader). When scratching forward it will play the sound. When moving the on-screen record back, it would mute the the output. Maybe add a keyboard shortcut that would do the same so when DJ is rewinding, they could press and hold this button down and it would act like you cut the crossfader

Thoughts?

WirelessDJ

Posté Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 12:48 am
kickoHome userMember since 2003
I would think it would hard to do since you don't always cut the fader on the backcut or vice versa, but i hear what your sayin' , just something to cut the scratch. but i think if it did have a feature like that it would sound like a bunch of stabs or chirps, then again i guess it deeþ”°s on what the sound being cut is???

Posté Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 1:05 am
Mixvibes 5 has already has this feature and I figured it would be nice to add it to virtual dj but take it a step further and allow the user to controll when it mutes by pressing and hold a key in to mute the sound when DJ is rolling it back

Posté Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 2:07 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can emulate a cut with your keyboard, using three shortcuts commands:
One crossfader to left (value 0)
One crossfader middle (value reset)
One crossfader to right (value 4096)

With one hand you cut with keyboard, with other you scratch.
Test it...

Posté Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 8:51 pm
kickoHome userMember since 2003
not sure what u mean bout that shortcut scratch thing, is it one shortcut or you make 3???

Posté Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 4:52 am
There are three shortcuts. One for each position. Then with two fingers, you can make crossfader goes to left, right, left, right, middle, right, etc, WHILE you are scratching with other hand.

It demands practising a lot, but it does it!

Ex: V for left position (value 0)
B for middle (value reset)
N for right (value 4096)

Then your fingers are on V & N, cuting the scratching desk.

Posté Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 12:51 pm
deck!!

Posté Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 2:50 pm
Another funny stuff.

Same technique you create a shortcut 'crossfader' with value 4096, WITH the temporary value checked.

Ths shortcut makes your crossfader going to right deck.

Now put in left deck your scratching song and put your crossfader to left. YOU CAN NOW CUT WITH ONLY ONE KEY.
Let your finger on the key making the crossfader right, an release when you want to uncut (crossfader is back to left)

ON KEY
Hope you enjoy it.

Posté Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 7:59 pm
But Wireless wanted an automatic cut when the disk is returning backward. I agree with this idea, if it becomes an option because manual scratch is interesting too.

Let now the team give an answer.

Posté Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 8:03 pm
How about a real mixer? Any1 know the outcome of the sound?

Posté Thu 18 Sep 03 @ 5:49 am
Sorry I'm french I didn't understand your question. Here we try to emulate real mixers cut feature, for those who don't have any mixer.

Posté Thu 18 Sep 03 @ 12:45 pm
WIRELESS

Did you try to set crossfader shortcuts, as discribed. What do you think about this?
Do you still need an automatic cut?

Posté Thu 18 Sep 03 @ 1:00 pm
Personally, I do not know how to create skins and/or shortcuts

but that will achieve the same effect! good idea and simple to impliment!

Thanks for the idea!

NOTE: I do use a real mixer with VDJ (crossfader contour hacked Rane MP2).

WirelessDJ

Posté Thu 18 Sep 03 @ 1:21 pm
Creating shortcuts is easy. Go to the options, and click 'shortcuts'. Then you choose the 'add' button.
Choose the key you want and set the action you want to create. 'crossfader' for example.
If you want to make the crossfader go to left deck, set the value field to 0.
If you want to make the crossfader go to right deck, set the value 4096.
Check the 'temporary' case if you want to cut with only one key, as I described.

Shortcuts are very easy to create, and can simplify your job a lot... (Don't need any skills in xml programing or what).

Just try it, you will understand quickly.
Regards.

Fruit94

Posté Thu 18 Sep 03 @ 1:44 pm
I have a Stanton mixer.... Kinda cheap, but it works ok. The audio quality you get once you run audio through it is lower than if you didn't have the mixer at all (mainly in how "umphy" the high trebels and low bass presents itself). My biggest complaint about it is that it's high and low kills just don't completely kill what they are supposed to. It comes nowhere near the type of quality you can get by doing the same through software itself, but you can get by with it if you don't care much about the quality.

I know there are much better mixers, and I also know they can cost $400 and up to $1500. SO I say just get yourself a nice laptop and get good at the keyboard shortcuts or get an external controller instead of the nice mixer.

Posté Mon 10 Nov 03 @ 5:11 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)