Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Help with my setup and hearing VirtualDJ cue

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what I need in order to hear my VirtualDJ cue (I understand I may need a 2nd sound card or other hardware). Here's my setup:

• Laptop (Dell Studio 15) w/ VirtualDJ + USB Numark DJ2Go
• 2 Turntables (Stanton STR8-100)
• Numark M4 3-channel mixer

So, a turntable in Channel 1 (Line), Laptop in Channel 2 (Line A), and a turntable in Channel 3 (Line) -- then sound runs out from the mixer to the venue's stereo.

Currently, my headphones are coming out of the mixer so I can cue up my vinyl, etc. I can obviously listen to the vinyl cue when I'm switched to either Channel 1 or 3, etc -- and I can obviously listen to my VirtualDJ cue when vinyl is playing for the same reason (so long as Channel 2 volume is all the way down).

However, If I want to play 2 or more VirtualDJ tracks in a row, I am unable to listen to my cue. So my question is, what can I possibly do in order for this to work? My initial guess is going to be that I need to add a sound card to my laptop and map it through the settings (unless I'm mistaken), but where I get tripped up is how I would hear my VirtualDJ cue if my headphones are coming out of my mixer?

Any help appreciated -- thanks!

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 2:42 pm
I would suggest the best way is to switch both your turntables to phono level output and connect them to the phono inputs of the mixer instead of the line inputs. This would free up the line inputs on those channels, so you could send each deck of VDJ to its own dedicated mixer channel and cue using the mixer in the same way you do now with the turntables.

To do this you would need an audio interface with at least two stereo outputs (one for each deck) that's preferably ASIO compatible for low latency, and you would also need to upgrade to the full VDJ Pro to be able to configure the outputs of each deck to go to separate outputs.

The alternative is to get an interface that has a main output and a headphone output such as the Numark DJIO, but that would mean constantly moving your headphones between the mixer and the DJIO.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 2:55 pm
Ahh, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that -- makes perfect sense actually!

So, as it stands I can move those turntables to phono (no problem), and run a 2nd line for my cue to one of the line inputs. I do have VirtualDJ Pro (sorry for not mentioning that), so I can configure my outputs.

Would you perhaps be able to recommend a good/compatible USB sound card I should use?

Great advice, thanks again!

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 3:38 pm
The MAYA44 USB is a popular low cost option, and it has enough ins & outs to allow you to use it for a vinyl timecode setup, so you could control VDJ that way.

Then there's the NI Traktor Audio 2 DJ, the ESI UDJ6, the DJIO already mentioned - it does have two independent sets of RCA outs, so you wouldn't have to use its headphone socket......

Basically any pro level interface with at least two stereo outputs. There are hundreds of the things.

fastfashion wrote :
run a 2nd line for my cue

No, you don't have to do that. As I explained, you configure VDJ to send each deck to a separate input of your mixer - so you have two separate players, just like your two turntables. You'd cue using the mixer, exactly like using your Stantons.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 4:09 pm
Thanks for the recommendations above, I'll do my research on those.

I guess the only part I'm getting hung up on now is when you say I wouldn't need to run a 2nd line... that's what I'm not fully understanding. Where, currently, I have 3.5mm headphone in my laptop to a red/white RCA into Channel 2 of the mixer... What I thought I understood was that I would need a 2nd sound card, for running another RCA line to Channel 3 (line) -- and I configure VDJ to work with both sound cards, where one is the main output (channel 2), and one is the cue (channel 3, line)

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I am indeed a bit of a noob.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 4:24 pm
fastfashion wrote :
where one is the main output and one is the cue

This is where you're going wrong. Yes there are two stereo cables going into your mixer from the audio interface - but one for each deck, not one for main and one for cue. So the left VDJ deck gets sent to channel one of your mixer, and the right VDJ deck gets sent to channel two (or three) and you cue using the mixer to listen to either deck in the same way you cue your turntables.

You don't have to use the mixer section of VDJ at all (inc the cue controls etc) because you have a real mixer and the VDJ decks are outputting directly into your real mixer.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 5:03 pm
Ok, I think I'm understanding now. It sort of takes my Numark DJ2Go device out of the picture then, as there's not much need for it in this configuration. I was sort of hoping I'd be able to use it, but I see now how the mixer pretty much eliminates the need for it.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 5:18 pm
You can still use all the deck controls:

Cue, play/pause, the jog wheel, pitch slider, pitch nudge buttons, browse, load A, load B, sync (boo, hiss).

The bonus is that the controls you no longer need could be mapped to control other things.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 5:53 pm
True enough! I actually found the jog wheel annoying because it moves in such small/fine increments that it wasn't terribly useful for me at this point. It's also somewhat easy to bump which of course can have disastrous effects! May end up mapping them (and the fader) to do nothing, if possible. I suppose I can indeed make use of the other functions.

Posté Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 6:21 pm
bumro41Home userMember since 2013
I am having a problem with hearing my Virtual DJ through my speakers when using the USB cord from my Numark C3 mixer. I can hear itunes songs when I have the USB cord running from my mixer to my laptop but not Virtual DJ songs. When I am just using the headhpone jack audio cable, I can hear songs from Itunes and Virtual DJ. But I'd like to try the USB cord that came with my Numark mixer because they say it might sound clearer, but I can't hear the songs when played through VDJ. I also have an external sound card plugged into my usb that I plug my headphones into......Any ideas?

Thanks

Posté Thu 07 Nov 13 @ 6:29 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)