Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Noob with SCS3 needs help mapping

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi folks. So I have recently got hold of one of the Stanton SCS3 rigs with VDJLE. I have initiated the 20 day pro trial and have about 6 days left.

So I have a couple of issues. The SCS3 is really nice except for the pitch sliders, they are just rubbish and you can't manually adjust the pitch, which I hate not being able to do. I have two buttons that are currently mapped on the turntables as the temporary pitch bends when in Vinyl mode (these are below and to the left and right of the circular touch pad). I wouldn't really use those so was hoping I would be able to swap them so they respectively increased and decreased the pitch by 0.1%. I think this should be possible but have no idea at all how to do it. Could someone help? And if so please be really simple as I'm reasonably old and thick :D

Secondly I have a weird thing which is when I fire the unit up and start messing with the first few tracks after a while they start speeding up uncontrollably, with no visible changes in pitch or functions on the GUI, probably around 10%? I have to keep switching things on and off and after a couple of turns it stops doing it. Any suggestions? I'm just downloading the latest mapping but I'm on terrible Shetland internet and will take a long time! At the moment I'm just running on a lap top, but have a Numark I/O soundcard at home that I will normally be using. IS this just to do with not having a proper soundcard and having to use the internal one?

Finally can someone explain how the sync function works on the SCS map? Specifically how is it initiated? It seems like I can't select which deck it applies to and when fiddling around with four decks I get in the position where the live deck will only change speed to the deck I'm about to start so the pitch adjust happens live. Completely unacceptable obviously. The manual mentions a 'master' function for the sync but I can't see it on this SCS3 map and think it must be happening automatically, so do I just need to do certain operations in a particular order?

Thanks for any help

Stuart

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 3:05 pm
Oh, and one more thing, how do you swap the play mode to stutter rather than play/pause?

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 3:57 pm
Stuart Rathbone wrote :
Oh, and one more thing, how do you swap the play mode to stutter rather than play/pause?

Sorry, update. Ok, figured out how to sort out the pitch adjust like I wanted, and the play/stutter setting. Would still like to know about the other two issues, and will the changes I made disapear when the 20 day demo runs out?

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 4:23 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There is indeed an issue with 4 deck skins. There is no masterdeck action assigned to any of the buttons of the controllers, nor the LE skin has any. Additionally the ONINIT action (which is the one that runs on launch), has deck 1 masterdeck, which forces masterdeck to manual mode, making things even more difficult to mix with 4 decks.

Since all the modifications you will do in the mapper will be gone after the end of the trial period, and the software will return to its default settings and mappers, i could only propose to download the corrected skin files, and click once on the M button (Masterdeck) on deck 1, each time you launch the software. That way, the masterdeck will return to its auto mode, and will mark the Master Deck according to which deck is playing out live. Of course you will be able to manually select the Master Deck , if u wish all the other decks to sync with that.

Depending on the resolution of yor computer(s), download the appropriate skin file and replace the one you have in the VirtualDJ/Skin folder (actually it will overwrite it during installation). The skin will remain there, even after the end of the trial period.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/16405/Stanton_SCS3.html (for HD resolutions)
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/16404/Stanton_SCS3.html

About the other issue, songs speeding up without BPM value or pitch changing, there is really no logical explanation, unless the files are in some kind of a format that confuse the software. Have you tried to re-analyze them ? What kind of filetype do those files have ?

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 7:52 pm
Ah thanks for that, I did as instructed and now have the Master tempo figured out.

I will upgrade to pro I'm sure so will ultimately get the mapping functions back. There seem to be a few odd bits with that skin, like on some setting the onscreen controls are in the mirror position of the physical controls ie on the EQ section if you are using the touch pad to control the faders and the kill switches. I'm sure I'll eventually get it all set up just so.

The speed up issue hasn't occurred again, I think it gets triggered after entering the vinyl mode and scratching, just seems to loose the tempo, but I noticed the cpu was running quite high so did a bit of tweaking to get that down. Maybe that solved it... we'll see.

Is there a particular order in which things should be plugged in and loaded up? ie turn on Laptop. Plug in controller, fire up VDJ? Plug in controller, fire up laptop, turn on VDJ? Or does it not matter which way around you do it?

Thanks for your help btw, slow reply due to moving house!

Posté Mon 16 Dec 13 @ 12:55 pm
For the SCS3 units, the plugging/powering order should not matter.

Yes, the skin follows the same order for the EQ High/Mid/Lows in both the mixer and the deck section, but the mapper of the unit is not.
Upgrading to Pro Full will give you the ability to change that, but for now you cant change much with the LE version, as custom mapping is not available.

Posté Mon 16 Dec 13 @ 1:16 pm
Ok, so I did my upgrade and all that, and I'm finally back home with all my stuff so connected up to my Numark I/O and plugged in my headphones... not great tbh. I don't seem to have any hardware control over the master output level from the SCS3 which is not the end of the world, but much worse is I don't seem to have any control over the volume in the headphones other than by changing the gain on the individual channels, which is really not ideal, and worse this again isn't a hardware function but means fiddling around with the mouse.

Checking the SCS3 manual all of this is supposed to be accessible via the controller when you press and hold down the master button but all this seems to do with this skin is flip between the central panels display between eq section, waveform/scratching and video mixing.

Any advice? Am I just being thick or will I have to reprogram the functions to get this working? How would I do that, so making either the up-faders become cue monitor volumes when holding down the master button, or the funny little filter sliders work as cue volume or something?

Posté Tue 24 Dec 13 @ 8:00 am
The MASTER button on the SCS3m unit is mapped to cycle through the available MIXER panels (Mixer, Video, Scratch)
You can make that MASTER button to toggle a variable in order to assign different actions in various faders.
I would advise to make the FILTER faders to work as Headphones Volume and Headphones Mix.
So the ...
MASTER_BTN --> toggle '$pfl'
S1_SLIDER --> var '$pfl' ? headphone_volume : var "$fxLMode" ? deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 1 effect slider 1 : deck 3 effect slider 1 : deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 1 filter : deck 3 filter
S2_SLIDER ---> var '$pfl' ? headphone_mix : var "$fxRMode" ? deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 2 effect slider 1 : deck 4 effect slider 1 : deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 2 filter : deck 4 filter

Havent tested the above, but should work. If the variable $pfl is true (pressed the BTN_MASTER once), the left Filter slider should control the Volume on your Headphones and the right one, the Mix (All the way to the left, you will hear just the Cued deck, and all the way to the right, the Master Output.

Posté Thu 26 Dec 13 @ 7:58 am
First of all, thanks DJ Dad, I can't believe you were answering my questions on Boxing Day!

Unfortunately it didn't work... well, it might of for a minute or two, certainly the sliders initially seemed to work but then stopped shortly after. The master button didn't function as hoped at any stage, it simply stopped doing anything at all. Then there were a whole series of errors. Lots of madness. The whole thing destabilised. BPM started going haywire again (even though you say this can't happen!) Now deck keeps turning itself on and off and Virtual DJ keeps crashing saying there is a problem and windows is going to have to close it.

And this is why I hate digital DJing :(

This is my second attempt at converting. I tried a VCI 100 with Traktor a few years back. Was ok, but lacked proper control and was very very buggy system. Now I'm a good few hundred pounds into a VDJ system and... I can't even get it to turn on at the moment. You know, what ever the advantages over analogue, and size and weight are my concerns really, and the fun of new things to do in digital, the truth is analogue stuff never gives you this BS.

Ok, I'll try not to be too despondent, but I'm starting to think I have wasted a lot of money. A month into VDJ and... still can't do simple DJ tasks like headphone monitor. FFS.

I suspect here that the code you wrote for the sliders probably does work but the little thing you had for the toggle on the master button just didn't. My guess is that the system going haywire is probably unrelated and may be to do with recent Windows updates destabilising the computer. Several restarts haven't solved the issue and windows refuses to load VDJ. I do feel it would be awesome if I could switch the software on again having paid so much money for it. Any suggestions?

Posté Sun 29 Dec 13 @ 6:27 am
Ok so over the weekend I finally got round to doing the update to Windows 8.1. Wish I hadn't. Causing havoc all over, on my Samsung 550P Laptop, the worst being I can no longer use VDJ with my controller. Amazingly you apparently can't use your system restore points to go back to windows 8 so I'm stuck with this. The issue is quite simple. VDJ boots fine, runs, works etc. But as soon as I plug in my usb coming from my controller it freezes up, then 30 seconds or so later it gives me an error message (just there is a problem, have to close, inform you if solution found) and VDJ closes down.
Can't do a restore apparently, have uninstalled VDJ and reinstalled it, have downloaded the most recent driver I could find for my Numark I/O, have re-installed Stantons Da Router software, although I don't think that's actually in use with VDJ (?), problem remains unchanged.

Any clue how I can fix this or is everything toast? I'm now a month into a VDJ system and not only can't I do simple DJing tasks, I can't even turn the thing on anymore :(

Posté Sun 29 Dec 13 @ 7:34 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)