Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet House and Dance Artists

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello all,

I'm transitioning to adding more house and dance tracks to my sets where they have been mostly hip-hop. The crowds in the Midwest are pretty conservative and I'm pretty new to house music. I wanted to ask what your top 5 artists are? Thanks!

Posté Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 2:51 pm
Blonde... Galantis... Martin Solvieg... Oliver Heldens... Jonas Blue...

Very Commercial... Not necessarily my favourite but artists who's tracks currently get big responses.

One more... Sigala.

Posté Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 10:31 pm
Thanks, Mitchie. Much appreciated.

Posté Thu 25 Aug 16 @ 2:05 pm

Posté Thu 25 Aug 16 @ 2:08 pm
Thanks groove, but I was inquiring what Dj's favored the most to play, not just top charts.

Posté Thu 25 Aug 16 @ 4:26 pm
Well IMO the two go together. People don't want to hear tracks they don't know. They want to hear the familiar tracks. The ones they've heard before.

The tracks are in the charts for a reason. People buy them because they like them and/or know them (see above).

In other words, the tracks DJs "favor the most" are (or should be) the ones that are also popular with the general public - and that means they're in the chart.

The exceptions to that are if you're playing oldies (in which case they're still familar tracks) or if you're known by your public or bookers as a DJ who plays upfront tracks, and you're expected to do that at gigs.

Posté Thu 25 Aug 16 @ 5:18 pm
Depends what type of DJ you are. I know when I'm not working I like to hear lots of songs I don't know. It's all about getting the balance of songs they love and songs they are going to love in a few months time. There's nothing better than hearing your new favourite song out for the first time, experiencing it as intended, for the first time.

Becoming the DJ that gets known for playing the songs you always end up loving is the goal, being the educator, the provider, surprising them... But, it is very hard to get that right.

Posté Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 6:31 pm
Mitchie is spot on. I can play top chart music but unless I'm doing a lot of cutting, what makes me better than the radio? Even still, doesn't a radio DJ still introduce new songs? How do we think tracks get on those top charts? Personally, I spend time searching out new tracks that I feel would be big hits in a club, and often are. And in the Midwest, we're usually a couple months behind the hot tracks from the coasts.

Thanks for the input guys.

Posté Wed 31 Aug 16 @ 4:38 pm
Bridenour wrote :
what makes me better than the radio?

What makes you think you need to be "better than the radio"?

Bridenour wrote :
doesn't a radio DJ still introduce new songs?

Well yes, but then he hasn't got a dance floor to worry about.

Of course it depends what type of DJ you are, or what type of event you're playing - but generally speaking, you won't go down too well (with the average person at the average party) if you're playing more upfront tracks than hits.

You should be aiming to cater for what the partygoers want, not what you want to play because you think it's cool that you've got a track before it's charted.

Posté Wed 31 Aug 16 @ 5:36 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)