Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Script School - Page: 2.35

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Param_cast, param_add, param_multipy, lots of param stuff.

Now as of EA4490 as far as I can see, basic arithmetic is possible in script so....

Guess what we're going to do? We're going to build a calculator (...sort of) with a pad page.
So what use is it for performance? None (I suppose you could work out if you've been ripped off at the bar......I'll save you the effort, you have.), BUT if you have it as a padpage you can reference it when you need to.
just have it there make it an hidden padpage so it stays out of your way (like sticking a textbook in the loft/attic, there when you need it)
That and pad pages are just so useful, as a test ground of scripts, to show you info, (might do a whole lesson on this... maybe rsi)

Start off a couple of scripts to save a second or two many times for years to come

deck 1 pad_edit
deck 2 pad_edit
stick these on a couple of keyboard buttons, it really saves time in the future.

Here we start, press deck 1 pad_edit button, up pops the editor (hello padpage!) click new pad page and call it calculator.

on pad 1 put this script
set 'var1' 8 && set 'var2' 2

name this button "Set"
we're just setting var1 to 8 and var2 to 2, (the && is so the pad only lights if both are set, not important)

on pad 2 put this script
get_var 'var1' & param_bigger "get_var 'var2'" ? on : off press enter, add a space on the new line and add this memory aid in quotes
"is the first thing bigger than the second ? yes lights on"
could use && here to avoid ? on : off , but didn't

(at the end of scripts you can put stuff in quotes AFTER A SPACE and vdj ignores it)
Name this button "compare 1"

ok close the editor and press button 1, button 5 lights up, var1 is indeed bigger than var2

back into you editor
on pad 3 put this script
param_bigger "get_var 'var1'" "get_var 'var2'" ? on : off (and enter newline space, your memory aid)
"is the 2nd thing bigger than the first? if yes lights on"
call this "compare 2"

wait this looks backwards.... yeah it does, remember the lesson back when I said the implicit is stuck on the end of a script? (you don't?! have a reread of lesson 6 how vdj gets values) well this is what vdj sees when you press button 2
(atomix made it this way so the; value, compare, value order (like button 2) looks right to our monkey brains. If button 3 was the way we'd expect, then button 2 would be backwards, no ways around it)

Now finally for compare button 4, here's the script
get_var 'var1' & param_equal "get_var 'var2'
call this "equal"

There is another way this can be written (param_equal "`get_var 'var1'`" "`get_var 'var2'`") this way you need backticks more on that later, I think this is because param_equal can be used to compare an action to a string (string being a collection of letters,numbers,chars) so vdj needs to know, is it a script or is it a string.

ok back to pad 1 and change the values for the vars, no matter what you put, when you click button 1 one of pads 2,3 or 4 will light up, it has to be v1 bigger than v2, v2 bigger than v1, or v1&2 equal

compares done now some arithmetic
but first let's display what's going on, open the editor, go to param 1 script box, press space (a bit of weirdness explain later) for the param 1 name put
var1 = `get_var 'var1'` var2 = `get_var 'var2'`

UH ok what's going on here, remember this is a textbox not a script box, so it will display
var1 =
then the backticks ( ` this little fella,) tells the textbox "this next bit is script, read it as a script" the second back tick says we're back on letters now, and so on.

so close the editor again as param 1 you'll see
var1 = # var2 = # (I put # as I've no idea what values you've given to the vars by now)

Now the second bit of the display the total
back into the editor, param 2 a quick space in the script box (param1&2 labels don't show unless there's something, anything in the script box)
and put this as param 2's name
var3 = `get_var 'var3'`
like above, but var3 will be our answer.

ok maths (it has a s on the end, it's plural, live with it)
button 5 call this one "add", here's the script.
param_add "get_var 'var1'" "get_var 'var2'" & param_cast & set 'var3'

Ok what's happening here, param_add easy enough, why the quotes round get_var 'var1' .....? well param_add expects a number or a script but if the script contains a space it confuses the verb so wrapping in quotes tells it "inside here is one script action", same again for get_var 'var2', ok so it's done the maths we save the value by, casting, (param_cast) this tells vdj to take the last value it had and stick it on the end on the next script, (like the implicit)
and here we cast to the end of " set 'var3' "
close the editor and have a try.

button 6 call this one multiply
param_multiply "get_var 'var1'" "get_var 'var2'" & param_cast & set 'var3'

straight forward, like before

ok things get a bit mathematical now as vdj doesn't have a param_divide or a param_subtract

button 7 call this one subtract
get_var 'var1' & param_invert & param_cast & set '1-var1' & param_add "get_var '1-var1'" -1 & param_cast & set '-var1' & param_add "get_var '-var1'" "get_var 'var2'" & param_cast & set 'var3'
memory aid
"((1 - var1 = 1-var1) -1 = -var1) + var2 = var3" "var2 - var1"
so we get var1 and invert it (vdj's invert is made for sliders so it uses 1-X, real inversion would be X - (2X), Lets say var1 = 7, so the inversion 1 - 7 = -6, we cast that to a new var '1-var1' & then param_add '1-var1' to -1 now we cast that to another new var '-var1' and it's a true inversion of var1, fantastic now we add -var1 to var2 and cast that to var 3 for our result.

finally button 8 call this one divide
get_var 'var1' & param_1_x & set "1/var1" & param_multiply "get_var '1/var1'" "get_var 'var2'" & param_cast & set 'var3'
memory aid
"(1/var1) * var2" "=" "var2 / var1"

ok no divide script but 8/4 is the same as 8 * (1 / 4) and vdj does have a 1/x script, so we use it, we've broken from form here, we haven't cast to the set '1/var1'
this is just a quirk of the 1_x script it expects to be cast and adding cast just after it makes vdj confused, (found that out the hard way...) the rest is just a multiply & set.

I'll level with you here, there's a few places in all these button scripts where param_cast is not needed, but I wanted the lesson to be consistent and they do no harm,
but the 1/x script it does harm and (there goes my consistency) has to be omitted.

ok that's that, have a quick play to make sure it works and then make the padpage hidden.
Next we'll try something useful with these concepts.
(some of this stuff above is really new, the verbs have been around for time but being able to do this type of thing has only just become possible)

I recommend you have a poke around at making a padpage there's a bit more to a finished padpage than described here... but not much more.
But in true Blue Peter style, here's one I made earlier (new text file, copy and paste) save as "mathsRef.xml" and pop it in your pads folder.

http://www.virtualdj.com/user/locodog/blogs/5715/mathsRef_xml.html

And for no reason I put some more stuff on shiftpads (NaN fans try shiftpad 6 for Sqrt of -1)

Posté Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 3:03 pm
Everyone hates edits populating their what's new feed, I've just updated the last post with a link to the calculator in xml ready text.

Posté Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 8:10 pm
Just want to say BIG Thanks mate ;o)

Posté Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 8:21 pm
No worries, a proper way to do maths, how could I not share it?

Posté Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 8:27 pm
So I've not got round to another topic yet but here's one I just helped a guy with over on FB

Wedding entrances, a right old pain, you've a mic and notes and you've got a list of short tracks to play and you don't have time to drag the next one to deck.
You want the automagical powers of the rsi (repeat_start_instant) script, I want to go quite a way with rsi scripts but this is a nice start

Set your playlist in the side list

put this on a custom button
deck 1 var 'autoloadsys' 1 ? on & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 0 & repeat_stop 'RSIautoload' & set 'played' 0 : off & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 1 & browser_window 'sidelist' & browser_scroll 'top' & sidelist_load_and_remove & deck 1 repeat_start_instant 'RSIautoload' 50ms & deck 1 play ? set 'played' 1 : var 'played' ? deck 1 unload & sidelist_load_and_remove & set 'played' 0 : nothing

press the custom

it will jump the browser scroll to the top of the side list and load to deck then remove the track from the list.
it then waits for you to press play, when you press play it sets a var 'played' to 1, it then waits and watches for the deck till it's not playing (either by ending or you pressing pause) when not playing it unloads the deck, sets 'played' back to zero and then sidelist_load_and_remove the next in the sidelist.

here's the breakdown

deck 1 var 'autoloadsys' 1 ? on & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 0 & repeat_stop 'RSIautoload' & set 'played' 0 :

var autoloadsys is true when this thing is running, is the var = 1 ? yes, on is for the button light, so we're running turn the var to zero and stop the rsi script (that I called RSIautoload) also set the var 'played' to zero (good housekeeping)

off & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 1 & browser_window 'sidelist' & browser_scroll 'top' & sidelist_load_and_remove &

var autoloadsys if false, we're not running : off is for the light, set the autoloadsys var to 1, jump to the sidelist, jump to the top load track to deck and remove from list

deck 1 repeat_start_instant 'RSIautoload' 50ms & deck 1 play ? set 'played' 1 : var 'played' ? deck 1 unload & sidelist_load_and_remove & set 'played' 0 : nothing

here's the magic, I set up the rsi I give it a name "RSIautoload", I give it a repeat time 50ms, I Then give it a command to repeat.
Is deck 1 playing ? yes set 'played' to 1 : no not playing, is var 'played' true ? yes unload, load track, remove from playlist, reset the var 'played' to zero : not playing and var played is false, then we're waiting for the next track to be played, do nothing

To be proper pro about it, you'd have a mic stand and a foot switch to act as a play button

deck 1 var 'autoloadsys' 1
..? on & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 0 & repeat_stop 'RSIautoload' & set 'played' 0
..: off & deck 1 set 'autoloadsys' 1 & browser_window 'sidelist' & browser_scroll 'top' & sidelist_load_and_remove & deck 1 repeat_start_instant 'RSIautoload' 50ms & deck 1 play
....? set 'played' 1
....: var 'played'
......? deck 1 unload & sidelist_load_and_remove & set 'played' 0
......: nothing

Posté Sun 29 Jul 18 @ 7:07 am
A quick question I got on FB

"How do I change the LED color based on the camelot key"

I thought it would be something like:
param_equal '`get_harmonic`' '01A' ? <change the led color>
- but that doesn't seem to work

Then if param_equel accepts an action by default it could be as simple as:
param_equal get_harmonic '01A' ? <change the led color>
- but that doesn't seem to work either

What am I missing?

Posté Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 2:29 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
param_equal '`get_harmonic`' '08A'
seems to work fine for me, it's true when the key is 08A, and false otherwise.

Posté Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 3:16 pm
Adion wrote :
param_equal '`get_harmonic`' '08A'
seems to work fine for me, it's true when the key is 08A, and false otherwise.

Then I messed up the easy part somehow :-D
Sorry - my bad

Posté Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 5:09 pm
Hey Loco, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post earlier this year. i apologize for taking so long to get back in here, but wedding season ran me ragged this fall. So my initial question was a little convoluted, let me just tell you my goal and show you what I have and go from there.

I have a pad scripted to assist with scratching, Ii specifically use it to time the cuts, while I manually manipulate the turntable. Here is an example of one of the pad buttons:

"pad_param2 & down ? get_var '$trans4' & param_cast 'ms' & repeat_start 'transrep' & level 100% ? level 1% : level 100% : repeat_stop 'transrep' & level 100% & masterdeck_auto on"

And this is stored in the param2 slot of the pad in question to get the relevant BPM info, do the math, and set the variables.

"masterdeck_auto off & deck 1 masterdeck ? deck 1 get_bpm & param_1_x & set '$trans1' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 10000 & set '$transtrip' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 15000 & set '$trans2' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 7500 & set '$trans4' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 3750 & set '$trans8' : deck 2 masterdeck ? deck 2 get_bpm & param_1_x & set '$trans1' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 10000 & set '$transtrip' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 15000 & set '$trans2' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 7500 & set '$trans4' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 3750 & set '$trans8' : deck 3 masterdeck ? deck 3 get_bpm & param_1_x & set '$trans1' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 10000 & set '$transtrip' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 15000 & set '$trans2' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 7500 & set '$trans4' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 3750 & set '$trans8' : deck 4 masterdeck ? deck 4 get_bpm & param_1_x & set '$trans1' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 10000 & set '$transtrip' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 15000 & set '$trans2' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 7500 & set '$trans4' & get_var '$trans1' & param_multiply 3750 & set '$trans8'"

So the script stored in the param slot determines which deck is master, queries its BPM, converts that BPM into so many milliseconds, and sets numerous variables. Then the pad buttons do a one time activation of the param script, then use one of the variables it set to alternate the actiondeck level between 0 and 100 at the desired interval.

It works well for the first 8 beats or so, but then the cuts begin to drift. I'm guessing some fluctuation in the speed the script is being processed may be to blame. So I had the idea of scripting a sort of "gate" in the code to watch the beatgrid of the masterdeck, and restart the cuts every 4 or 8 beats precisely when the masterdeck grid passes the needle marker. I have been working on this in my limited free time for the past year with little success.

Do you see any way to make this work? Here are the musts: the masterdeck and actiondeck must not be required to be bpm synced, or pitch/beatlocked, It must be done by alternating either the actiondeck level, gain, or crossfader position, the level cuts must only affect the actiondeck, Cuts need to be on 8th beat, quarter beat, and half beat(chosen by which pad button is pressed) And those cuts must stay on sync with the masterdeck beatgrid. I wiil post a short video in a sec to show you the drift I am talking about.

Posté Sat 29 Dec 18 @ 10:31 pm
*edit* eugh typed out and then lost the text.

I'd say there's a rounding error, I'd perhaps take a different approach and use something like this

repeat_start_instant "name" 33ms & get_beat & param_greater X% ? level 0% : level 100%

Posté Mon 07 Jan 19 @ 9:50 pm
locodog wrote :

repeat_start_instant "name" 33ms & get_beat & param_greater X% ? level 0% : level 100%

Since I need to sync the fader cuts to the on air deck, but act on the opposite deck, can the repeat look at one side and act on the other? That was where I ran into trouble before using a similar method. So for example:

repeat_start_instant "name" 33ms & deck right get_beat & param_greater X% ? Deck left level 0% : deck left level 100%

Also it looks like this would only cut one time per beat, any way to get it to cut in when the beat value is at 1% 25% 50% and 75%, and out at 12.5% 37.5% 62.5% and 87.5% for a quarter beat transform?

Thanks for the reply loco. I have used a lot of your advice and tips to up my game.

Posté Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 8:34 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Sure it's possible.
You can also adress a fixed deck by using "deck 1" instead of deck left/ right. If you are using more than two decks deck left/right is the currently active deck on each side.

Posté Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 8:40 am
Thanks PachN.
Yeah just specify what deck you want it to read/act upon
deck 1 get_whatever & deck 2 do_something
ZeroZuluBrav0 wrote :

Also it looks like this would only cut one time per beat, any way to get it to cut in when the beat value is at 1% 25% 50% and 75%, and out at 12.5% 37.5% 62.5% and 87.5% for a quarter beat transform?

You're right (one cut per beat), I kept the explanation simple, take a second to think what you want the script to do
Above this but below that ? Yes,drop volume : No, above that but below another value ? Yes, raise volume : No above the other... below a 4th value ?
So it will look something like this

repeat_start_instant "name" 33ms & deck right get_beat & param_greater 0% ? param_smaller 12.5% ? Deck left level 0% : param_smaller 25% ? deck left level 100% : param_smaller 37.5% ? deck left level 0% : etc etc

If really needs be I could make a plugin to monitor masterdeck to cut another deck but even plugins have a scan limit of ∼15ms

Posté Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 10:25 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Edit...fixed

Posté Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 6:10 pm
You may have already explained this, but I can't find it, so here goes

You do you do a general AND after a CONDITION (?) block

So like
(A ? B : C) & D

I relialize that you can just put D in the front
D & A ? B : C
but the D part may also hold a condition

You can also do
A ? B & D : C & D
But again D may be complex in itself

So is there a general way to handle for instance :
(A ? B : C)
&
(D ? E : F)
&
(G ? H : I)
&
(J ? K : L)

Posté Thu 24 Jan 19 @ 2:52 pm
Not with straight script, I've put in requests to execute a "second script" with some sort of symbol after the end of the false reply (something like A ? B : C * D ? E: F) but it's either low in the todo pile or it's in the not happening pile.

However, you can do what you want by another way,
Lets say you want to run all 4 queries from one button press, without making it multibranch
(avoid D query in the reply B and C, and G query in the reply E and F etc)

Use a pad page :-), simply put each single query on a single pad then your calling button performs the script
pad 1 & pad 2 & pad 3 & pad 4

To work properly there needs to be a new verb to store and call pad pages, I'll add it in wishes.

Posté Thu 24 Jan 19 @ 7:43 pm
locodog wrote :
Use a pad page :-), simply put each single query on a single pad then your calling button performs the script
pad 1 & pad 2 & pad 3 & pad 4

Nice idea!
Let me try that :)

Posté Thu 24 Jan 19 @ 8:27 pm
Shader stuff

How do, has been awhile but this I think shader scripts need to be written down.
klausMogenson, I has a video on this subject, his focus is his workflow (shaders as audioonlyvisualisation)

That's his workflow, below is mine (shaders on decks)

Selecting specific shaders
effect_string "shader" 1 "shaderName"

So we want to set a string on a effect
the effect we want to set the string on is the "shader" fx
the string number (some fx have several effect_stings) is number 1
the string we want to send is "shaderName"
Now "shaderName" can be either the shader's name as given by it's creator or it can be the address the shader can be found at the shadertoy site something like
"GdAFMK" (best guess is some sort of base64 filing system that means very little to us humans)

To display the current shader name (and I'll assume you want the given name because you're not a computer) use
get_effect_string "shader" 2
string 2 because while the machine is smart enough to set the shader by either given or indexed name on string 1, if you get string 1 it always returns the indexed name, (must be under the hood stuff) string 2 is the "pretty name"

Ok a specific shader at a specific time, great, what else can we do?
Well how about the next or previous (in the list) shader, do that like this..
effect_string "shader" 1 +1
effect_string "shader" 1 -1

What about shader folders, yep we got that covered, with effect_string 3
effect_string "shader" 3 "B&W"

(I have a folder called "B&W" for black & white shaders)

okey cokey, how about the buttons "auto-change" & "beatMove"
They're just fx buttons and are toggled like so
effect_button "shader" 2 (change)
effect_button "shader" 3 (move)

I've covered buttons earlier, what with fxslots, no slot, on, off , toggle so I'll avoid repeating myself.

effect_button "shader" 1 opens the shader position box if you were wondering. (well done for wondering)

Ok just a few sliders to cover
effect_slider "shader" 1

this one picks the shader, but I'm honestly not sure how useful it is (difficult to use with precision), I suppose time will tell.
I suppose it might be better if it obeyed the folder, but currently it just picks from the "all" folder.

effect_slider "shader" 2
this one does transparency.

I think that's it for shader scripts to date.
Any topics you'd like covered just ask.
I might cover the setting action next as it's one that users need quite often.

*post script*
This post lead to quite a bit of head scratching, partly my fault for focusing on my personal work flow (this instance a shader on a deck)

So some clarification
In instances of audioOnlyVisualisation or videoOverlay

* For the video source for audio tracks:
effect_string "audioonlyvisualisation" 1 +1
Since the slot is specified, you don't specify the effect as well, so it depends on shader already selected as audio only visualisation.

* For video effect overlay
deck master effect_string "video" 1 +1
If shader is selected in the video slot
or
deck master effect_string "shader" 1 +1
Independent of which slot it is currently selected in (or none at all)

Posté Wed 27 Mar 19 @ 10:36 am

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 6:42 am
I missed your msg mitchmasha, yeah they'll get added.

Right the real reason I'm posting, New action in 4909 mic ducking.

mic_talkover 20% 1000ms
this will gradually drop all decks and the sampler to 20% volume over 1000ms.
if you call the script without params (so just 'mic_talkover') it defaults to 30% over 400ms.
*edit*
for differing speeds
mic_talkover ? mic_talkover 19% 30ms & repeat_start 'wait' 40ms 1 & mic_talkover 100% 600ms & mic_talkover off : mic_talkover 30% 300ms

down to 30% in .3 seconds up to return level in .6 seconds
/edit
That's all for now but I'm sure some of you will welcome this.

Posté Sat 27 Apr 19 @ 5:46 pm
5%