Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Roland DJ 505 - A Good Replacement Or Not - Page: 1
ZiglarPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hello lovely people,i just wanted some opinions on the roland dj-505 controller. I currently own the Pioneer DDJ-SR2 and i am interested in giving my sets a different vibe with beats/remixes etc.(I know i can use the sampler). I have seen a lot of videos of the 505 but have also read some bad reviews about the product.I just wanted to know if any of you here can give me some advice on whether to get it or not.

Posté Sat 02 Feb 19 @ 8:11 pm
maolamPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hello, did you finally buy it? Does it work fine with vdj8? Cheers

Posté Mon 03 Jun 19 @ 5:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posté Mon 03 Jun 19 @ 11:27 pm
acw_dj wrote :
VirtualDJ 2018 works fine with Roland DJ-505 and also with DJ-808 and DJ-202 too. The sound on DJ-808 and 505 is better than many other controllers in the same price range and even for many others over this price too.

I'm curious as to what you base your assessment of the sound quality on. Does the Roland have a better DAC?

Thanks.

Posté Wed 05 Jun 19 @ 2:35 pm
I demo'd an 808 and actually experienced a lot of glitches. Sometimes the shift buttons rendered the entire controller unusable. It sucks because I really liked the controller otherwise.

Posté Sun 09 Jun 19 @ 6:24 am
ZiglarPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have done some pretty extensive reading on soo many websites about these Roland controlllers and I am getting a bit of a mixed reaction when it comes to their reliability...I have advised myself not to get any of these Roland controllers till they release a more reliable version or I may choose another brand to upgrade...Its a shame really cuz the creativity options this controller brings is pretty awesome

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 12:12 am
Controller works fine, they were some earlier glitches, now every works great. Only wish i had a true skin for it:)

Posté Fri 27 Mar 20 @ 3:12 pm
A skin for it? Any skin can be used. There is no skin for it.

If you mean a skin that looks like it, then that's not a requirement. There's no point duplicating your hardware controls on the screen, as the idea of a controller is to use the real controls. Leave space on the skin to display things that are not on the controller - like waveforms, names of selected effects, track info etc.

The 505 is a Serato controller. When you run Serato with the 505 connected, does Serato suddenly change to look like the 505?

No, neither does Traktor or Rekordbox.

In most cases the layout of a controller can't be transferred to the screen anyway, because of the shape. You'd have no room for a browser.

Posté Fri 27 Mar 20 @ 5:23 pm
New to DJing. Been using VDJ on my laptop w/ no controller

I was thinking of getting this Roland unit, the 505. I have to be able to use the stem functions, because that's mostly what I like doing, mixing the drum tracks of one song with another song. Can I map the various VDJ functions to the buttons on the Roland? And if not, is there a controller that could do that?

Posté Wed 25 May 22 @ 5:46 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
you remap the device to your heart's desire.

Posté Wed 25 May 22 @ 5:50 pm
user22471943 wrote :
New to DJing. Been using VDJ on my laptop w/ no controller

I was thinking of getting this Roland unit, the 505. I have to be able to use the stem functions

I'd recommend the 707m over the 505 for all the I/O options it gives you. I use the EQ knobs on channels 3 & 4 for fine control over the stems. VDJ will ask if you want to do this automatically when you plug it in.

Posté Fri 27 May 22 @ 3:24 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I am very happy with my Roland DJ 808. Never got any issues (except some smaller things due to some obsolete settings, which thanks to this community have easily been solved).

Posté Sun 29 May 22 @ 3:20 pm
I considered many controllers but ended up settling on the dj-505. I really, really like it. For the price, particularly 2nd hand, I think they are hard to beat.

All the functions work as expected in virtual DJ and I was able to use stems by assigning them to pads, use split pages to replicate from beat jump Serato workflow (seems only possible on the 505?).

The only bit I miss from Serato Vs Virtual DJ, is the ability to assign effects to either side, and to be able to quickly enable the effects engine a or b to decks 1/2/3/4. But this seems to be a design thing in Virtual DJ.

Posté Tue 31 May 22 @ 8:12 am
tonz76PRO SubscriberMember since 2021
Hi new to VDJ but I was over Serato glitching and other issues when live streaming. However, I have briefly used VDJ with a Numark Mixtrack Pro FX and that worked fine even when live streaming with OBS. I have now purchased a Roland DJ505 and have some weird issues when using it on VDJ.

Firstly I am experiencing flickering lights on my sync buttons and the VDJ display is also flickering on the BPM display with it jumping out of sync on transitioning from one track to the other. The BPM on track 1 will suddenly not match track 2 usually at the mid point of the crossfader from right to left? The sync buttons are flickering and turn off at this point. Deck 1 bpm will revert to its original BPM. The wavelengths pattern are also flickering as I transition?

If I transition from left to right, the right deck will jump up in BPM by roughly 1BPM by the time I am 3/4 across, the syn button will not be on for deck 2 but will be flickering for deck 1?

I also noticed the BPM VDJ display for deck 1 will flicker even when idle?

There are 3 FX buttons per deck and only one FX will work the other 2 FX buttons change the FX selection for the 1st FX?

The CH Assign buttons will switch on but don't function as designed. CH assign 1&3 will operate FX button 1 on deck 1 or 2 depending which deck you operate it. Pressing the 1st FX button on either decks will activate the FX and also light up CH assign 1&3 for that deck?

The Tap FX mode button doesn't work or light up when pressed?

I live stream to twitch with OBS and I can't get an audio output sound to OBS for live streaming?

If I use a virtual cable, I can get sound to OBS but my cue buttons don't work and i just get the master sound through the headphones?

I have previously used this Roland controller with Serato Pro and the virtual audio cable which worked no issues with OBS capturing the audio and my headphones cue was also working?

Would love to use VDJ but this stuff is frustrating and if there is no fix I hate to say it but I will have to go back to Serato?

Hoping someone here knows about these issues, VDJ is streets ahead of Serato

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 9:31 am
tonz76PRO SubscriberMember since 2021
Further update,
I noticed the BPM and track time in VDJ display for deck 1 will flicker even when idle if the crossfader is fully over to the deck1, it doesn't do it when it is over to deck 2? When I play deck 1 the wave form will flicker or glitch until I'm over to deck 2 and as I said above the bpm of deck 1 reverts to it original bpm when i have got mid point with the crossfader. My sync button lights also flicker as I move the crossfader and go off as I reach mid point

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 11:46 am
You don't need to use OBS. VirtualDJ has streaming built in. You can stream directly.

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 3:05 pm
He might want to groovin, he might have scenes set up or streamlabs or something, there's a reason it's the number one choice for streamers.

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 3:29 pm

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 3:37 pm
locodog wrote :
he might have scenes set up or streamlabs or something

....but we don't know that. What we know is, he's having problems with sound config. Using VDJ directly avoids that issue.

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 3:42 pm
So you reply, "don't use the program you want to"...

there's a way of going about things, but you just seem to reply to threads where you can be this guy, you don't really help.
[30 year old British TV reference]

Posté Sat 30 Sep 23 @ 4:29 pm
87%