Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet GUI symmetrical vs asymmetrical layout? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
Just wondering what the word is on this, i personally prefer the asymmetrical layout where all decks look the same, as controls are always in the same place. Please watch this short video comparing the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_wQ9BO-VKc

Posté Tue 18 Aug 20 @ 9:51 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I can understand your concern, but I'm going with some people prefer to be ambidextrous. I know real equipment isn't layed out this way, but when a painter paints on the right side of the wall he paints with his right hand, and when he paints on the left side of the wall, he paints with this left hand.

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 9:14 am
IMO that argument doesn't hold because it's on a computer, in other words, you are operating all controls with the same hand. Even in hardware controllers you probably use your "good hand" when you need more dexterity regardless of whether it's convenient or not.

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 4:20 pm
Scoox wrote :
wondering what the word is on this

What do you mean by that?

VDJ can be skinned. Skins can be laid out either way.

Some skins offer both views. If you prefer one over the other, there's no problem.

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 4:29 pm
I was referring to the default skin which IMO looks the best, especially the 2021 version.

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 4:56 pm
I've just come here to say exactly the same thing! :-)

I'm a long time owner of a VirtualDJ license, but I tend to use Traktor or Serato. However i've been tempted to come back & have another look, mainly because of the Denon Prime series support. .....& i'm very much liking what i'm seeing here.

Apart from (you've guessed it), the horrible symmetrical layout of the decks in the standard skin. The standard skin is the most professional looking of the bunch, but can we please have an option for both decks to have the same layout please? (pitch controller to the right)

Cheers

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 7:46 pm
Wait, you use Serato - even though it's got a horrible symmetrical layout? :-)

You do know there are many varied skins for VDJ, and a good selection of those have switchable layouts?

Also, if you're going to be using a controller, strictly speaking you don't even need pitch faders etc. on screen (Traktor or Serato don't have them).

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 8:07 pm
groovindj wrote :
Wait, you use Serato - even though it's got a horrible symmetrical layout? :-)

You do know there are many varied skins for VDJ, and a good selection of those have switchable layouts?

Also, if you're going to be using a controller, strictly speaking you don't even need pitch faders etc. on screen (Traktor or Serato don't have them).

It's weird isn't it? ....that's never really struck me as a problem with Serato. But you're absolutely right, ....i'll let you have that one! :)

Yes I know that there's a lot of skins available, but as the risk of incurring the wrath of all the people who have spent time designing them..... I find most of the user produced designs a bit too "toy like" (sorry folks, don't get your pitchforks out!). ....& I know that may seem shallow & unimportant, but a professional looking GUI is something I want.
So yes, just a simple option on the official skin would be great.

The mention of pitch faders was primarily to illustrate my preference for an asymmetrical layout (rather than pitch faders on the left) .....maybe I should have said "Jog wheel display & transport controls to the right". :)

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 10:28 pm
imianwilliams wrote :
I
The standard skin is the most professional looking of the bunch, but can we please have an option for both decks to have the same layout please? (pitch controller to the right)

Might come options for that ;-)
Your mentioned Serato is same way.. Fairly standard, and preferred by most.

But sure, some like cola some like pepsi, some like blondes, others like brunettes.. . there are "arguments" for both ways ;-)

Posté Wed 19 Aug 20 @ 11:20 pm
LIMOLPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :

but sure, some like cola some like pepsi, some like blondes, others like brunettes.. . there are "arguments" for both ways ;-)

that it is well said.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 12:21 am
Asymmetrical (non mirrored) layout would look like this...

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 7:05 am
imianwilliams wrote :
The standard skin is the most professional looking of the bunch, but can we please have an option for both decks to have the same layout please? (pitch controller to the right

Ian, have you checked out Dan's (djtouchdan) Project X and Project X Slider skins? Can have mirrored or non mirrored.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 9:14 am
The most popular DJ gear manufacturers (Pioneer, Denon, Native Instruments, Numark, etc) have ditched the symmetrical layout in all their latest controllers. Even within VDJ there are sections of the GUI that are not "mirrored". The problem is that some bits are mirrored and some are not. This makes the GUI much harder to visually navigate because our brains make intuitive assumptions about where controls are.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 10:44 am
About Serato, they are basically making the same mistake, so it's not a very good example to follow. Instead of burying our heads in the sand saying "it's ok because Serato does it too", we should look at the much greater number of controllers and players out there that don't use the symmetrical layout and say "maybe we should do it this way too". Heck, even those rack-mount DJ CD players from the late 90s / early 00s were laid out asymmetrically.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 10:54 am
Scoox wrote :
About Serato, they are basically making the same mistake,.

+ VirtualDJ, and many many more.. .

Everyone making mistake ;-)

Some like cola some like pepsi, and the way most controllers and dj software is is not a mistake ;-)

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 12:30 pm
OK, so those of you who are symmetry advocates, try to sell me on it. Tell me at least 3 reasons why symmetrical is superior.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 1:12 pm
groovindj wrote :
Asymmetrical (non mirrored) layout would look like this...

Yep! .....that's the option Id prefer.

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 1:12 pm
Scoox wrote :
Tell me at least 3 reasons why symmetrical is superior.

Nothing is superior or inferior... its simply a matter of taste. Some like it this way, other that way.

That being said, generally speaking, to me it just feels a lot better, but some like it the other way, and thats fine.
All the dj software are that way.. VirtualDJ, Serato, Rekordbox, Traktor... So there is that ;-)

Posté Thu 20 Aug 20 @ 1:55 pm
@Rune Long time Traktor user here—Traktor is most definitely NOT symmetrical, looking at it as I type.

Posté Fri 21 Aug 20 @ 8:39 am
Ah, but...

:-)

Posté Fri 21 Aug 20 @ 8:47 am
57%