Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Stems and math engine hardware thoughts
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hello all. I love the new stems feature!
For Math engine, I see that nvidia is supported for Windows, but for Mac, AMD is supported. Is there any chance for future AMD support in Windows? If so, I might just go back to my old laptop for DJing because it does have Nvidia. It is just bulky and power hungry, hence the upgrade. I have also been thinking of switching to Mac which I much prefer in general, but have been sticking with pc due to the fact that I make extensive use of video which is supported much more robustly by VDJ and the community on Windows.
If I get an external thunderbolt enclosure for an nvidia card, is there any reason why that wouldn’t work for math engine. Of course, I wouldn’t gig with that, just set it up for batch processing of new music to calculate the stems.

Sorry so many questions, sometimes thinking out loud like this helps me come to my own solutions, but any comments, advice or conversation are very welcome.

Posté Sun 11 Oct 20 @ 8:01 pm
AMD on Windows might be added in future ;-)

Posté Fri 16 Oct 20 @ 10:37 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks Rune! That’s what I wanted to hear :)

Posté Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 6:20 am
We are now one and a half years into "the future." Where do we stand on the AMD / Windows scenario for Stems? Is it still being worked on, or deemed to be unlikely?

Also, I can't seem to find any information on WHY Windows AMD GPUs can't do mathengine computations on Windows. Can anyone shed some insight into this? I'm curious as to the (dumbed down) technical reason... Particularly since it does work on most modern MacBooks with AMD GPUs.

Posté Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 7:39 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You can read about AMD ROCm to better understand the AMD dark side versus CUDA for NVidia

Posté Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 8:05 pm
DJCel, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Two articles in and I already see the difficulties that are being faced. This is very unfortunate and may cost me money in buying a newer laptop to replace my... newer .. laptop. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Ugh!

VDJ developers, if you are working on this... Please let us know if I should be patient or just move on. :(

Posté Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 11:22 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which CPU do you currently have?
Most modern cpu's should be fast enough to do stems calculation even without gpu acceleration.

Posté Sun 30 Jan 22 @ 6:42 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
As Adion said and knows better than me, it should work on CPU too.

Posté Sun 30 Jan 22 @ 8:51 am
My 2011 MacBook Pro (2.2 Ghz i7-2675QM, 16 GB Ram, disabled AMD HD 6750 OpenCore patched to Big Sur so I can use OneDrive) stutters badly if I try to play deck 2 before the stems separation has fully loaded. So I have to give myself about 20 seconds after loading a track before playing or cueing the track to avoid the currently playing song stuttering or dropping out. Inconvenient, but functions fine if I'm patient for the loading. DDJ-SX2, ASIO.

My 2021 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 7 4700U, Vega 8 iGPU, 20 GB Ram, Windows 10) processes the Stems quickly enough, but was giving me random stutters anyway, even when just left on autoplay for awhile. It would hiccup about once every 15 minutes or less. I was using ASIO. Funny thing is that even with the stutters, latencymon statistics were always on point and showed no issues. However, last night I changed from ASIO drivers to WASPI and had a flawless night. So I think I'm good with this one, and it could just be that the stuttering had nothing to do with Stems processing. DDJ-SX2, WASPI.

And my 3rd laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P55W (2.4 Ghz i7-5500U, 16 GB RAM, Intel HD 5500 GPU, Windows 10) processes the Stems a bit faster than the 2011 MacBook and not as fast as the Ryzen 7,. It seemed to do just fine with my ceremony last night, but wasn't exactly put through much of a test besides 30 minutes of autoplay and then 4 songs for processional and recessional. Original Denon MC6000, WASPI.

All three are:
mathEngine: CPU
matEnginePriority: either Low or Automatic depending on the machine
precomputeStems: Create Manually

So I'm not saying the two Windows laptops won't handle the task. However, for being otherwise powerful, I'm a bit disappointed that they don't handle the Stems feature as well as a similarly spec'd laptop that simply has a different brand video card. It's a shame that AMD isn't assisting developers a little more and fostering a community that can support features on their cards.

Posté Sun 30 Jan 22 @ 6:16 pm