Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Serato finally adds Stems - Page: 2
klausmogensen wrote :
user22874213 wrote :

+1 for the pad page effects of Serato Stems. That's definitely a feature which would be great to have in VDJ.

What are you missing in the VDJ stems fx implementation?
Just that it's the same as the 4 pre-defined ones in Serato?

In VDJ the Stems FX are done a bit differently
- but the idea is the same, except that it's less pre-defined, so you can stil lchange the fx's in the regular way:

Its comes down to simplification. Like in this picture the part that's missing is the bass stem which should actually be there, Im wondering why it's not. Does the melody stem also include bass? why?
But Im sure a pad page can be made like seratos with the right scripting. I actually asked for a script in the script school section locodog has. It just makes sense.

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 6:35 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
djjohnnyrox wrote :
I do like their echo out feature.

We have been able to do that for quite some time now.

I like the button placement on the pads below each stem and how you can choose the echo out for each stem

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 6:35 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :

But its horrible, the worst among its peers. Its amazing how the devs don't realize that. It needs a rework.

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 6:38 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
djjohnnyrox wrote :

I like the button placement on the pads below each stem

We have it set the same way lol!!

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 8:44 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :
user22874213 wrote :

+1 for the pad page effects of Serato Stems. That's definitely a feature which would be great to have in VDJ.

- but the idea is the same, except that it's less pre-defined, so you can stil lchange the fx's in the regular way:

Its comes down to simplification. Like in this picture the part that's missing is the bass stem which should actually be there, Im wondering why it's not. Does the melody stem also include bass? why?
But Im sure a pad page can be made like seratos with the right scripting. I actually asked for a script in the script school section locodog has. It just makes sense.

Come on, you’ve been around long enough to know that the “bass” can be swapped out with that echo button with a few minor changes lol!

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 8:49 pm

Come on, you’ve been around long enough to know that the “bass” can be swapped out with that echo button with a few minor changes lol!

I been around long enough for everyone to know I'm just not understanding scripting...like dumb dumb with scripting.
Plus those stem echo outs need to be part of the script also. keeping the function to 1 pad press and that's it.

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 10:48 pm

Posté Wed 05 Oct 22 @ 11:30 pm

Posté Thu 06 Oct 22 @ 1:19 am
klausmogensen wrote :
user22874213 wrote :

Where do you enable the "Stems FX"? I can't seem to find this tab, I only have a single Stems FX button.

Posté Thu 06 Oct 22 @ 6:17 am

Posté Thu 06 Oct 22 @ 6:34 am

Posté Thu 06 Oct 22 @ 4:34 pm
Testing both myself on the same equipment with the same track, and I use nothing but VDJ for my gigs I can say there is a clear difference in sound......

I agree, I have teste equally; same track on both, SDJ sounds more clear. Just like U I only use VDJ for gigs; the rest just to have fun and play around; since I like almost all Dj software, but my choice is VDJ.

Posté Thu 06 Oct 22 @ 6:24 pm
groovindj wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

if a mod could embed this, please???

Here's the original video, rather than a smaller screen grabbed copy uploaded by someone else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Q04V8HFJA

Only wanted to focus on that part of the video because of what he saying.

Posté Fri 07 Oct 22 @ 8:23 am

Posté Thu 13 Oct 22 @ 8:24 pm
Yes exciting to see what hardware will come out, which adds more controls for stems. And hope that it does not take Serato another few years to add knobs to control stems, since I would love controllers to with sufficient controls for 4 deck EQ and Stems.

In reality it is not that big of a deal to add a touch-pad (launchpad) and some additional knobs (midi fighter twister) to have more then enough controls to do everything one can imagine with the amazingly powerful and flexible VDJ scripting. (though still cooler to have everything on one deck.)

______

I added the leaked photos of the new Rane, showing off the incorporated Serato stems:

Posté Thu 13 Oct 22 @ 9:07 pm
I used the knowledge I gained from the Stems FX plugin, to create my own Pad mode, which incorporates an Echo Out without any Bleed of the Stems. So it resembles more the implementation used in Serato. Have a try if you like :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<page name="Serato Stems">
<pad1 color="color &apos;magenta&apos;" name="Vocals">var &quot;VocalMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Vocal&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;VocalMuted&apos; 0 : mute_stem &apos;Vocal&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;VocalMuted&apos; 1</pad1>
<pad2 color="color &apos;red&apos;" name="Melody">var &quot;MelodyMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;MelodyMuted&apos; 0 : mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;MelodyMuted&apos; 1</pad2>
<pad3 color="color &apos;blue&apos;" name="Rhythm">var &quot;RhythmMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;RhythmMuted&apos; 0 : mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;RhythmMuted&apos; 1</pad3>
<pad6 name="Echo Out" color="color &apos;red&apos;">var &quot;MelodyMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Instru&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;HiHat&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Bass&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;MelodyMuted&apos; 0 : effect_stems Melody on &amp; effect_active 1 &apos;echo&apos; on &amp; wait 0.75bt &amp; mute_stem &apos;Instru&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;HiHat&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Bass&apos; &amp; wait 3bt &amp; effect_active 1 off &amp; effect_stems Melody off &amp; set_var &apos;MelodyMuted&apos; 1</pad6>
<pad8 name="Echo Out" color="color &apos;cyan&apos;">var &quot;AccaMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;AccaMuted&apos; 0 : effect_stems Melody on &amp; effect_stems Rhythm on &amp; effect_active 1 &apos;echo&apos; on &amp; wait 0.75bt &amp; mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; wait 3bt &amp; effect_active 1 off &amp; effect_stems Melody off &amp; effect_stems Rhythm off &amp; set_var &apos;AccaMuted&apos; 1</pad8>
<pad5 name="Echo Out" color="color &apos;magenta&apos;">var &quot;VocalMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Vocal&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;VocalMuted&apos; 0 : effect_stems Vocal on &amp; effect_active 1 &apos;echo&apos; on &amp; wait 0.75bt &amp; mute_stem &apos;Vocal&apos; &amp; wait 3bt &amp; effect_active 1 off &amp; effect_stems Vocal off &amp; set_var &apos;VocalMuted&apos; 1</pad5>
<pad7 name="Echo Out" color="color &apos;blue&apos;">var &quot;RhythmMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;RhythmMuted&apos; 0 : effect_stems Rhythm on &amp; effect_active 1 &apos;echo&apos; on &amp; wait 0.75bt &amp; mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; wait 3bt &amp; effect_active 1 off &amp; effect_stems Rhythm off &amp; set_var &apos;RhythmMuted&apos; 1</pad7>
<pad4 name="Mel&amp;Rhyt" color="color &apos;cyan&apos;">var &quot;AccaMuted&quot; ? mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;AccaMuted&apos; 0 : mute_stem &apos;Melody&apos; &amp; mute_stem &apos;Rhythm&apos; &amp; set_var &apos;AccaMuted&apos; 1</pad4>
</page>

Posté Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 10:48 am
user22874213 wrote :
I used the knowledge I gained from the Stems FX plugin, to create my own Pad mode, which incorporates an Echo Out without any Bleed of the Stems. So it resembles more the implementation used in Serato.

Excellent, thank you. This should be listed as an optional pad extension imo.
Would be great to add 2 further effects such as brake to fit a 16 pad layout.

Posté Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 12:18 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :
user22874213 wrote :

I tend to agree with you
Simplicity - That is what Serato is all about

Could they make 50 just as good stems Stems FX pads as the 4 that was included?
Yes, certainly - the building blocks are there
But you would then need to figure out which ones you liked, maybe tweak them a bit (length, filter, strength reverb and so on), and put them into something that is easily accessible, including from pads on a controller/mixer
So they decide not to give the users all the features in all combinations
Right now they give you exactly 4 Stems FXs, that is pre-defined, pre-mapped, and that you can't mess up when using. There is just an on/off button for each one

That is generally the Serato way:
Limited features, but pretty good ones, and useable with next to no learning curve

The VDJ way is kind of the opposite - you get everything available to you with hardly any limitations, and you can pick and choose and configure and map and script. And if something obvious is missing the first time, you get it in the next release in a couple of weeks

l personally really like the VDJ way, because I'm a tech guy :)
But I can understand why some prefer the simplified Serato way

Anyway...
I may have created the script/padpage you are asking for:

Posté Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 12:34 pm